The Student Room Group

What to do at Freshers other than drink?

Everywhere that I see talk of Freshers week, all I can see is people planning on going out, getting drunk and partying, and doing things of that sort.
Are there any other/proper activities that are held during Freshers or is that just about it?...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by All-rounder
Everywhere that I see talk of Freshers week, all I can see is people planning on going out, getting drunk and partying, and doing things of that sort.
Are there any other/proper activities that are held during Freshers or is that just about it?...

With your flatmates that's what you'll be doing.

If you join societies, there'll be taster sessions during the day.
Reply 2
chunder/getting your next drink ready
Original post by tehforum
With your flatmates that's what you'll be doing.

If you join societies, there'll be taster sessions during the day.

Ahh okay, thank you
Reply 4
Is it too weird to go with flatmates clubbing but not drink?
Depends on your university. Most of the time there's induction stuff during the day. There are usually activities that don't involve drinking, and activities which don't have to involve drinking (pub quizzes etc). But most people go to nightclubs too.
Original post by AgNO3

they'd respect your decision i guess.
Do people tend to go out like every night that week, I'm not sure I could handle that much drinking?
Original post by SimpsP
Do people tend to go out like every night that week, I'm not sure I could handle that much drinking?

Depends on the type of people you live with.
Original post by AgNO3

I didn't drink for the first few nights as I'd never had alcohol before & didn't want my first time getting drunk to be when everyone else was so drunk they wouldn't be able to help me if I needed it. I still had a good time even though I was sober. :smile: Even if you don't think you'll enjoy it that much, I'd at least go for a few nights in freshers just to try it and to bond with your house/flat.
Original post by AgNO3

nope i'd be cool with that, but it might get a bit weird in clubs when everyone is drunk and you're sober
Original post by SimpsP

Depends on the type of people you choose to hand around with.

I had flatmates that would be drunk constantly didn't matter if it was 3pm on Wednesday. Although this died down by second semester but they were still going out 4 times a week. You also get people at the complete other side of the spectrum that never drink. But after freshers most people are in the middle.
Reply 12

There are a range of activities depending on your uni e.g meet and greets, ice skating

Original post by AgNO3

Nope, I've been sober all year.
Original post by AgNO3

it is certainly preferable to not going at all
Original post by SimpsP

I think we went out on 6 of 7 nights in freshers week, but then settled down into only going out 3-4 times a week after that.

The thing is, going out is soooo much fun compared to sitting in your flat, its really hard to resist the temptation. So don't even try.
Original post by TroyAndAbed
I didn't drink for the first few nights as I'd never had alcohol before & didn't want my first time getting drunk to be when everyone else was so drunk they wouldn't be able to help me if I needed it. I still had a good time even though I was sober. :smile: Even if you don't think you'll enjoy it that much, I'd at least go for a few nights in freshers just to try it and to bond with your house/flat.

How did that go? I think I may be in quite a similar position - never really drank before but not that opposed to trying it.
usually drink, usually dance, usually bubble

I used my Freshers to try out loads of different societies and sports as they'll normally offer free sessions over Freshers.

I was social secretary for the Liverpool Uni Ju Jitsu club in my last two years and I always made sure that I kept at least 25% of our socials as non-drinking activities as well so as not to discourage non-drinkers from socializing with the rest of the group.

Most places will be forcing the "Let's get wasted" stereotype of Freshers week down your face but there's always loads to do that doesn't involve drinking.
Go gym and start a part time job
Reply 19

drinking
smoking cannabis
dancing
having sex

is pretty much just about it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending