The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Student accounts and mobile plans that don't screw you over.

I'm an international student who is looking into mobile phone plans and student accounts for when I come to York. After doing some research I'm still unsure of what people consider "good."

As far as bank accounts go, who do you and your friends bank with? Do they have unnecessary charges? Are they helpful? Are they understanding? Do you recommend them?

As far as mobile phones go, I think I'm looking for a pay monthly plan. I've been looking at Dot mobile run on the Vodafone network. Has anyone had experience with them? How about T-Mobile's Flext plans? Which companies rip you off? I've heard Orange is awful, but what about others? Just in general, give me some advice. It is much appreciated! Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Ummm, to be honest, most networks will be fine. What exactly do you want a mobile for? Lots of calls or lots of texts? Either? Neither? Etc.
University of York
York
Reply 2
Well, I call people a lot but I have a feeling that if my friends text a lot I'll probably be doing that. So I guess a bit of each but I'm not sure. That's why I want a plan that is flexible and won't make me decide.
How much do you think you'll use a phone? Look at the £35 per month dolphin contract on Orange - 'unlimited' texts per month, 550 anytime minutes, and a free handset.
Reply 4
That's slightly expensive for me. I'm looking in the 25-30 pound a month range. It's hard even to spend that coming from a 20 dollar a month bill, but alas. I'll check that out though. That sounds about what I'm looking for, but any other ideas would be great to check out too.
expatriate
That's slightly expensive for me. I'm looking in the 25-30 pound a month range. It's hard even to spend that coming from a 20 dollar a month bill, but alas. I'll check that out though. That sounds about what I'm looking for, but any other ideas would be great to check out too.

Well, if you want free calls and texts, you are going to have to pay for them. Just look at the websites for the following: Vodafone, Orange, T-Mobile, O2, and see what tariffs they offer.
Reply 6
International students are not eligible for most student bank accounts, so our advice on finance is going to be lost on you, I'm afraid.

You'll probably get better responses in the general uni forum, ask a mod to move the thread.
Reply 7
Well I know that HSBC has an international student service. And with that you get what I believe is a student flexible saver account. Anyone have any information on those accounts?

I know Halifax has international student accounts as does Lloyds TSB. I was just wondering if you had any experience with any of these banks, not just specifically they're international student services. Just your general impressions of them and all that.
Reply 8
It would probably be a good idea to look for a contract with cheap international calls or an add-on with free calls, although the cost from the room phones (on Dog'n'Bone) is actually meant to be quite cheap.
Reply 9
I have had a pretty horrible experience with both the HSBC International Student Account, and my Carphone Warehouse (O2) mobile phone contract. It really is a very long story but to make it as short as possible:

Everything that could go wrong actually did, and it was always their fault due to the unprecedented incompetence of their staff. It took me a month to set up my bank account, even longer to get my chequebook, and almost 3 months before my phone contract was working properly (they were charging me for TWO contracts for about a month and it was entirely due to them making stupid mistakes repeatedly).

By the way, as for international calls your best bet is easily the "Mobile World" pay-as-you-go sim card from Carphone Warehouse. VERY cheap international calls, and its just a PAYG sim card so theres nothing to set up and few things can actually go wrong.
Reply 10
As far as international calls go, those I am planning on making with Skype so I'm not worried about those on the mobile. As of right now, from what I've looked at, Dot mobile is seeming the best deal for the money.

The thing thats frustrating about signing up for a bank account is that I need a phone number to be contacted at, so I need to get my mobile. However, I can't get my mobile phone until I get a bank account because they require that you pay by direct debit and therefore, won't let you get a phone until you have a bank account from which you can pay your bill. It's ridiculous. Not only this, but it'll take a couple weeks for my money from my US bank to get into my UK account because of the currency switchover so I'll be in York with no money and no phone for about a month.

No one seems to be happy with any of the international student accounts so I'm seriously considering just operating out of my American one. I have an American credit card along with a debit/cash card so I might just make those work instead of working with banks no one seems to be at all happy with. The only problem with this is that I plan on getting a job in York so I may need to open an account so I have some place to put that money. So far, this seems like the easiest way to do it.
Ever thought about just getting a pay as you go phone?
Yeah, I saw a pretty chilled Orange pay as you go deal on a poster the other day. Basically it's just a case of hunting around and finding what's right for you. Also you won't have to pay for the half-year or so when you're not here.
Reply 13
I have a PAYG 02 sim. Top up £10 a month and get 300 free texts, so you keep the £10 for calls. Top up more and get more free texts. and you get 10%of your top-ups back every 3months.
Reply 14
If pay as you go proves the easiest to get without a UK bank account I'll probably just do that. All this is so complicated. Arrrgh... Just need to remember, this is all worth it to go to York, this is all worth it to go to York, this is all worth it to go to York...
Getting a pay as you go phone is about as complicated as ****ting your pants.
Reply 16
So....not at all?
Basically, yes. There are similarities to be drawn between the two; just stay relaxed, take your time, then wonder to yourself if you just made the right decision, briefly, afterwards.
Reply 18
As far as phones go I'm on an orange student contract, 200 mins and 1000 texts I think for £25, and the minutes roll over so I generally don't run out.

As far as bank accounts I've always been fairly happy with HSBC, they're not amazing, what banks are? but they're ok. I wouldn't advise barclays however, having worked for them they're not a great idea to bank with, although as long as you know the tricks all banks are ok.
Reply 19
Works for me then. I'm thinking that might be the best option. The only thing that sucks about that is that phone cost a lot more. Oh well.

Latest