The Student Room Group

Getting into uni with bad grades?

So I have set my life onto getting into either Dundee or Aberdeen to do English and Film. Both unis requirements are AABB. At the end of 5th year I only received CCB (I took three highers). Is there any way I can make my way back into getting in during 6th year, or am I doomed to a life of rejection letters?
Reply 1
Original post by KosmoVI
So I have set my life onto getting into either Dundee or Aberdeen to do English and Film. Both unis requirements are AABB. At the end of 5th year I only received CCB (I took three highers). Is there any way I can make my way back into getting in during 6th year, or am I doomed to a life of rejection letters?

Hey! Whilst your grades are not what the universities are looking for right now, have you checked what they require over two sittings? If you take some more subjects this year you might be able to obtain the grades you need.

If you still don't have the grades, you could always go to college to do something relevant to the course you want to do and apply after doing that.
Reply 2
Original post by Ambry
Hey! Whilst your grades are not what the universities are looking for right now, have you checked what they require over two sittings? If you take some more subjects this year you might be able to obtain the grades you need.

If you still don't have the grades, you could always go to college to do something relevant to the course you want to do and apply after doing that.

I can't find the two sitting requirements but I'll look into both that and college thanks a lot, any recommendations for what subjects to take this year to bring up the grades?
Original post by KosmoVI
I can't find the two sitting requirements but I'll look into both that and college thanks a lot, any recommendations for what subjects to take this year to bring up the grades?

I'd say either subjects which you are good at, or ones where you know the teaching standard for your school is quite high as that can sometimes make the difference between obtaining two grades :smile:
Generally, unless it specifies "first sitting", it means you can achieve the required grades across two. Email the universities and ask whether the requirements on the site are for one or two sittings. If it's across two, it is possible for you to receive a conditional offer in sixth year were you to retake your three highers and pick up a fourth, though I have no idea how likely you would or would not be to receive that offer based on your current results. If sixth year doesn't go your way, you should definitely look into the college route!
Reply 5
Original post by AmisThysia
Generally, unless it specifies "first sitting", it means you can achieve the required grades across two. Email the universities and ask whether the requirements on the site are for one or two sittings. If it's across two, it is possible for you to receive a conditional offer in sixth year were you to retake your three highers and pick up a fourth, though I have no idea how likely you would or would not be to receive that offer based on your current results. If sixth year doesn't go your way, you should definitely look into the college route!

Well as of now I believe I'm taking Higher Admin and Modern Studies as well as Advanced English and Art (along with a basically ungraded app and game design course). Do you think I should change any of this to increase my chances?
A lad in my year at 6th form got accepted into uni (on some sort of gaming course- not sure which uni but it wasnt one of the best) with EEU at a-level.
Original post by Delenelie
What are my chances of getting an offer from uni next year?
5th year grades: AABB (English, Geography, Biology, Chemistry)
6th year grades: CCD (Maths, Physics, AH Biology)
I had 2 conditional offers this year but I failed to meet the conditions.
I'm thinking about resitting Maths and Physics and doing another higher (Spanish).
So hopefully by next August my overall grades would be: AAAAABB (plus that horrible D at AH).

I want to study Zoology/Biological Sciences and I want to reapply to Glasgow and Aberdeen.
Bearing in mind this would be my 3rd sitting at highers, what are my chances?

Also, should I mention in my PS that my bad 6th year grades are due to family problems?

That's something you want to discuss with your personal tutor or careers advisor at your college, I am sure there are options for you.
Original post by KosmoVI
Well as of now I believe I'm taking Higher Admin and Modern Studies as well as Advanced English and Art (along with a basically ungraded app and game design course). Do you think I should change any of this to increase my chances?

Well, what subjects did you take this year? I'd say Advanced English is a good option if you're applying for English, for obvious reasons, but other than that I don't know whether you're resitting or starting new Highers by taking those subjects. Essentially, your selection of courses makes you eligible to receive a conditional, as I said before. I have no idea what the qualifications of the average applicant/admission to Dundee and Aberdeen are, though, so I cannot say whether you are likely to receive an offer, just that it is possible.
Reply 9
Original post by AmisThysia
Well, what subjects did you take this year? I'd say Advanced English is a good option if you're applying for English, for obvious reasons, but other than that I don't know whether you're resitting or starting new Highers by taking those subjects. Essentially, your selection of courses makes you eligible to receive a conditional, as I said before. I have no idea what the qualifications of the average applicant/admission to Dundee and Aberdeen are, though, so I cannot say whether you are likely to receive an offer, just that it is possible.

This year I took Higher computing (C), english (C) and art (B), as well as Int 2 ModStuds (B) and maths (C), thanks a lot for the help btw
Original post by KosmoVI

Do what Im doing :smile: I got 1 C grade at computing and only had an art portfolio to show for myself and I got into a Digital Art and Design course at college, which leads onto Film animation or video games art at year 3 in UNI :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by KosmoVI

The subjects really depends on where your interests lie. Do you think you could cope with an advanced higher in one of the subjects you did well in? If not, I would say focus on a diverse range of Highers instead.
What are my chances of getting an offer from uni next year?
5th year grades: AABB (English, Geography, Biology, Chemistry)
6th year grades: CCD (Maths, Physics, AH Biology)
I had 2 conditional offers this year but I failed to meet the conditions.
I'm thinking about resitting Maths and Physics and doing another higher (Spanish).
So hopefully by next August my overall grades would be: AAAAABB (plus that horrible D at AH).

I want to study Zoology/Biological Sciences and I want to reapply to Glasgow and Aberdeen.
Bearing in mind this would be my 3rd sitting at highers, what are my chances?

Also, should I mention in my PS that my bad 6th year grades are due to family problems?

So are you going back to school as a 7th year? I was thinking about going back and doing my highers again as I didn't get good grades this year but I don't know the process and since I am over 18 will that make it difficult for me to go back?
I wanted to resit my highers in College, I'm not sure if my school would let me come back for 7th year. But I've been talking with the Aberdeen Uni admission staff and they're currently reconsidering my application, so hopefully I won't have to go to college.

I also doubt your school would let you come back, but they might let you sit the exams without going to classes. No harm in asking them, but I'm pretty sure you would have to pay for it anyway.

Isn't the entry requirement AABB so why did they reject you? (if you don't mind me asking)
I got AABC so I was wondering if there is any point of me applying to Aberdeen during my gap year?
Yes, their minimum requirement is AABB but they wanted another B from me, which I didn't get. :smile:

Oh that sucks :frown: Why don't you take a gap year and apply again this year?
Original post by Emma:-)
A lad in my year at 6th form got accepted into uni (on some sort of gaming course- not sure which uni but it wasnt one of the best) with EEU at a-level.

Was probably Anglia Ruskin.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending