The Student Room Group

What should you say to admissions to convince you to let them into their uni?

I'm just curious as to what you'd say if you missed your A-Level grades but wanted to convince them to let you in?
I'll do a dance for you if you let me in. :wink:

If that don't work, I'd just offer to change my course, or see if I could drop to single honours or something. If I'm really desperate, I'd ask if I could do a foundation year instead.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Iggy Azalea
I'll dance for you. :wink:

Ayy, turn up!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FrancisSin
I'm just curious as to what you'd say if you missed your A-Level grades but wanted to convince them to let you in?

If you missed your grades then there should be NOTHING left to tell them that could change their minds. Any extenuating circumstances/wonderful new experiences etc should be notified to universities well in advance of results day.

The only possible extra information would be if you're very close to a grade boundary in UMS and are applying for a priority remark.

Other than that the ONLY time you should call your universities is if you've MISSED your offer grades AND Track still says your offer is CONDITIONAL.

In that case you aren't ringing to convince them you're ringing to find out IF they've made a decision (usually they have but haven't yet told UCAS) and if not then WHEN they expect to decide by. All the myths and legends about people who have rung up and "begged" their way into a university are complete nonsense and/or misunderstandings from an applicants point of view - if you ring up and a uni says "you're in" then you ringing up did nothing to influence that decision.

The flowchart below should help you know what to do and when :smile:

results day flowchart

Original post by FrancisSin

The decisions made on results day are final as far as universities are concerned. They will have rejected far too many students to be able to listen to them all plead their case. Admissions tutors will be busy talking to clearing/adjustment candidates and/or dealing with people who now need to defer their place or want to be released from their offer.

If you have any extenuating circumstances, after results is too late to bring them up. Universities hold the view that you/your referee should discuss these with them as soon as they come up, rather than after you've received poorer than expected results.

If you have only just missed out on your grades (UMS close to the borderline, or only dropped one grade in one subject), it may be worth applying for a priority remark. This will probably cost you/your parents, though. If you inform the university of this, they should re-instate your conditional offer until you have the remark results.
It depends on what your UCAS track says.

If it says rejected don't bother.

If it says conditional even though you've missed your grades you've got a chance - this is what happened with me.

Basically I rang up and asked what the conditional meant, and when they explained it meant they were considering making it unconditional I told them I'd go there if they offered me a place, and rang when at times they told me to check if they'd made a decision (I got "ring at 11" then "ring at 3" then "ring at 5"). Being polite and trying not to pester them more than they say is the way to go really.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending