The Student Room Group

Question regarding police cautions

I've got to admit, i'm somewhat naive when it comes to knowing the law, so could do with some things being cleared up.

Back in feb i got a police caution for smoking something i shouldn't have been, and was told it would stay on record for 3 years, but then be cleared. I don't have to tell employers about it, it's just there for police usage. That was fine and dandy.

Alas, at Reading fest, things went bad in a BIG way, and i got another one.

My question is this. Now that i've received 2 within the 3 years, will it be extended (say to 5 years)? Also, is there a rule of thumb as to how many times you can get a caution before it gets worse (regardless of the nature of the caution)? Say a fine or.. well, let's not go beyond fines. :tongue: If i'm looking at a "do not pass go, do not collect £200" situation, then balls to it, i'll stop smoking. :tongue:
Reply 1
how the **** did you get caught at Reading, dude? boggles the mind.

sorry, can't help you. I only know about their searching and removing you abilities.
Reply 2
Nah, it's unusual for someone to be cautioned twice, but considering they both seem to be minor drugs offences it would seem that the particular police force has a given policy towards the actions taken.
Usually, juveniles are given a caution then what is called a 'final warning' and then after that they are charged and possibly summoned to court.

Cautions are usually used when the defendant has no previous bad character.

I guess your two 'offences' were pretty minor and so you got a second caution that will last for a further 3 years.
Reply 3
A caution is not a criminal conviction, so you are lucky so far in regards to future employment.

I think cautions last 5 years on police records, so I guess this one will last 5 years from the date of the caution.

I would strongly recommend you stop using whatever it is you are using, because on a 3rd offense you may well have to go to court and get a proper full blown criminal record that will screw up your employment prospects for life. Up to you I guess, what is more important to you? Drugs, or a future?
Reply 4
Thud
how the **** did you get caught at Reading, dude? boggles the mind.

sorry, can't help you. I only know about their searching and removing you abilities.

It was so stupid, my friend left a bong by his fire, and i'd just arrived there as the police arrived. They all had far worse on them, and the police said they'd search all of us and press criminal charges unless the owner came foward. I figured i was probably getting searched either way, and could do without half my friends in prison. :wink:

To clarify, it was two different police forces. One was hampshire, this was thames valley, but both are (generally) lenient with mj.

FTD: That's what i figured, both were small amounts.

Powell: It's 3 years, that was made really clear to me the first time. I was unsure of what happens after two cautions and if the time period is extended because it's not my first offence.

Latest

Trending

Trending