The Student Room Group

First year Psychology help please :)

Hi,
Iv got a place at Chester Uni in September to study a degree in Psychology.
I have not done A level Psychology before so have started reading the AS & A2 Psychology revision guide from CGP.
How much of this do you think would be useful to learn (if any) before September? Or does the course cover it all again anyway?
Advice would be appreciated!
Reply 1
Original post by KatherineSadler
Hi,
Iv got a place at Chester Uni in September to study a degree in Psychology.
I have not done A level Psychology before so have started reading the AS & A2 Psychology revision guide from CGP.
How much of this do you think would be useful to learn (if any) before September? Or does the course cover it all again anyway?
Advice would be appreciated!

From what someone I know told me. It basically goes over what you learnt in Sixth form, only thing you don't memorise theories and case studies but apparently the killer is memorising the STATISTICS aspects of psychology.

chi squared etc.. off by heart

this is first year advice :wink:
I'm going to my penultimate year of Psychology, and the most Psychology I did was at GCSE and I got a D for that.
The best thing to do is to read the books, because if you show interest, then it will be easier for you to learn. I also agree with Alumna in regards to statistics. It will hit you in the face when you have to write up reports and write the designs that were used and why.

Not tying to scare you or anything, but good luck!!!
I agree with the above, maybe spend some time looking over some statistics, most of the theory from a level is recapped in the first few weeks of lectures and there are plenty of people who take psychology at degree level that didnt take it at a level, so you should be fine, you might just have to work a bit harder on some areas such as the stats :smile:
Hello, I completed my BSc in Psychology and Criminal Behaviour last year with a 2.1 and the only Psychology I had experience of was a year on an access course. My advice is to read read read, ask for a copy of the reading list early on and definitely get some work experience!! You will be taught all you need to know but yes get ahead with those statistics because we all know they are the killers!!

I am currently doing my MSc in Forensic Psycholgy and am desperate for participants!! Only takes about 4 mins and I am happy to return the favour if anyone else needs me to. Must be over the age of 18. Many thanks!!

https://bedshealthsciences.eu.qualtr...BJDu0L7sxPfcNf

£30 donated to rape crisis on completion of data collection

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending