The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi! I got Biology (A) Psychology (A) Chemistry (B) and Maths (C)
Maths was only about 10 UMS away from a B so retaking and definitely will get a B.
Sure I will be able to get AAA predictions.
I was wondering if I could apply for unis that want AAAb even though right now I have a C in maths?
Also, with poor GCSE's (1A* 4A 6B), even thought I meet the minimum for some universities, is it realistic?
Thanks in advance!
Guys I got B in French B in Biology and C in Chemistry, D in Maths. Was really shocked overall, i was expecting a grade higher. But i will try to get chemistry remarked, if it doesn't go up, i will retake the modules.

I am really anxious whether to still apply for Medicine with those grades? My head of sixth form said its possible considering the fact we are part of Under performing schools but i mean is it realistic if i get an AAB prediction at A2.

I was really looking to apply to UCL,( i did so many widening participation programs with them) is it worth applying or should i look at others

Please give informative advice, i am really depressed.:confused:
Reply 582
Original post by uobo1
Hey don't worry you can still go to leeds, mininimum requirements are ABBB and they look at either your GCSE or As level which ever is better when comparing applicants but you have to do BMAT :\

Thank you. Do I need to prepare well for BMAT?? I really don't want too much pressure piling up again...
Reply 583
Original post by sassystudent
As far as i know they allot module resits but not resits of the whole year- if that makes sense...
Im in the same boat as you-
I got
A-Maths
A-chem
B-Bio
C-Physics
but im hoping i can try and retake some modules to get AAA?
Do you think that would be possible/or enough to get in?

I'm not 100% sure, but apparently I've just heard that Medical schools only allow 1 exam resit... if so, I think we're both doomed... :'(
Yesterday I got my As results

Biology-A-88%
Chemistry-A-87%
Maths-B-77%
History-A-88%
I was very ill for the majority of my exams and have a doctors note for this- would it be worth asking my teacher to mention it in my reference? For GCSE I got 8a*s, 4as and a B.

Are my chances of getting into oxford high or low? I don't really want to waste one of my four options on a uni that will definitely reject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bossun
Guys I got B in French B in Biology and C in Chemistry, D in Maths. Was really shocked overall, i was expecting a grade higher. But i will try to get chemistry remarked, if it doesn't go up, i will retake the modules.

I am really anxious whether to still apply for Medicine with those grades? My head of sixth form said its possible considering the fact we are part of Under performing schools but i mean is it realistic if i get an AAB prediction at A2.

I was really looking to apply to UCL,( i did so many widening participation programs with them) is it worth applying or should i look at others

Please give informative advice, i am really depressed.:confused:

ADVICE PLEASE? Anyone
Reply 586
Does anyone know what universities only look at predicted grades for A levels rather than AS results?? Or if there's one which looks closely at GCSE grades or personal statement?? I'm just trying to do all I can to get into medicine with ABBB. My predicted grades for next year are A*AA.
Reply 587
Original post by DivideEtImpera
Hey guys I posted before but didn't seem to get a reply, please I would really appreciate if someone offered me some advice on my situation.

I achieved BBBC at AS in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics. It seems in each subject I messed up badly on one unit and did quite well on the other two so I plan to resits them units. If my school is ready to predict me AAA for A2 is it still worth it to apply for medicine or do my AS results put me out of contention? Also I achieved 6 A*'s and 5A's at GCSE with a B in French and a few distinctions in PE and IT. Are these results good enough for the selection process or not?

Also my PS will include long term volunteering at Cancer Research and a Tuition Centre with short term holiday volunteering at a community centre working with over 65s. My work placements include a Pharmacy, a Dentist and a School for children with disabilities. Hobbies and interests would include Drama (performing a royal Shakespeare festival and school productions), Badminton and language/religious classes out of school (committed for the past 4 years). I have also taken part with a team in various competitions such as Mock Trials, Solutions for the Planet etc. Is this enough or am I screwed?

Hi there,

different med schools have different policies when it comes to AS levels; some consider them and some don't. The ones that don't go off you're predicted grades- if you can convince your teachers to predict you the three As, then definitely do that- (obviously you would need to achieve them too!, which from your current grades will be difficult, but certainly not impossible).

A prediction of AAA, a good UKCAT (these days you really need to be getting 675+), and the personal statement stuff you've listed (which sounds pretty decent), then you have a good chance!
Original post by callmemorbid
For GCSE I got 8a*s, 4as and a B.

Are my chances of getting into oxford high or low? I don't really want to waste one of my four options on a uni that will definitely reject.

Low. Because of the GCSEs, not AS. http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics
IF I were to be predicted A*AB for next year, which universities could I apply to for medicine? If these grades aren't good enough for medicine, will they be alright for Biomedical Science?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 590
Original post by bossun
ADVICE PLEASE? Anyone

Most medical schools require AAA. Some offer 'contextual' offers (making it AAB) if you are from certain circumstances, such as under-performing schools- as you've mentioned.

However, even with AAB, usually one of those As has to be in Chemistry- meaning you'll have to pull up the chemistry mark from C to A- not impossible, but I won't lie: that will be difficult.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 591
My AS results were worse than I expected- can I still do Medicine?

My AS results are high As in Geography and Philosophy & Ethics, B in Biology and C in Chemistry.
In my GCSEs I got 6.5 A*s, 4 As and a B, and my UKCAT score is 2440. I have done a lot of relevant work experience.

I am making plans with teachers and my careers advisor to discuss options, but at the moment this is what I consider doing:

Researching alternative careers/courses (I have an interest in Psychology and Physiotherapy, if anyone has any advice about that) and universities, and applying this year for a course that isn't Medicine (as my predicted grades from my AS results won't be high enough to apply to Medicine this year). Hopefully I will get an offer or two.

Dropping Geography as originally planned and continuing with Chemistry (although this may be sacrificing a possible A* for a possible B in Chemistry A2.)

Working very hard on my A2s, resitting relevant modules and aiming for AAA (with a particular focus on Chemistry, which I will need to dedicate a lot of time to.) Also gaining as much work experience as possible for the courses I have applied for (I already know several people who could help me gain experience in Physiotherapy.)

If my A2 results are AAA, I will apply to some of the medical schools that accept resits (eg. Hull York, Bristol...etc) and then take a gap year, gaining relevant experience (apparently universities really favour people with life experience, so this could give me an advantage anyway.)

OR

If my A2 results are AAB, which is a possibility due to my C in Chemistry AS, then I will still be successful if I accept any offers from the alternative courses I apply to this year (as many Physio and Psychology courses are AAB.) I will hopefully go to university at the usual time, and enjoy the course I take.

The main issue is whether to take Chemistry or to drop it. If I take it, Medicine's still a possibility and some of the top Physio and Psychology courses require two sciences. However, I may get a B in it (or even a C, but hopefully not!)

If I take Geography, which I got a high A in, I would most likely get an A or A*. My grades as a whole would probably be higher, and I may be able to apply to better courses in Physio or Psychology. However, that's my dream of practising Medicine over with.

Am I thinking along the right lines, or are there any alternative routes I should consider? (post-grad isn't really an option)
I would appreciate any feedback, and in particular the stories of people who have been in similar situations to me.

Thanks
Original post by onetwo96
@juliam

I was wondering, did you have to do retakes (as in modular retakes within the 2 years) in order to get your A2 grades?
Also, what did you get in your UKCAT?
Did you have a strong personal statement?

I retook two units - one in bio (overall C, unit C) and one in chem (overall B, unit C). I got 3280 in my UKCAT, and my personal statement was pretty good, although I didn't have any work experience in the NHS, as I'd lived abroad for so long.
Original post by Raj7500
Hi, I am new to TSR and I need some serious help. I am an A-Level Student and I got my AS results yesterday. I got an A for Maths, B for Biology, B for Chemistry and a C for Economics. I undertook work experience at Royal Free Hospital for a week where I visited Renal, ENT and Urology Clinics as well as doing ward rounds and being involved in the Grand Round there. Sadly, I haven't done much relevant voluntary work experience but am trying to carry out some now in charity shops.

For GCSEs, I got 6 A*s, 4 As, 1 B (ICT) and 1 C (French).
A*s where in Maths, Biology Chemistry, Physics, Religious Studies and International Level 2 Maths.
As where in English Language, English Literature, History and Business Studies.

-Is it still possible for me to make a successful application for medicine at uni?
-Should I do foundation medicine where I have to study an extra year but grade boundaries are low or even biomedical science and then postgraduate medicine?
-Do you think I have what it takes to do medicine? I am really interested in it and work experience was actually positive for me.

Tell me what you think guys. I am really confused and worried as I really want to study medicine.

Sorry for writing so much :wink:

I got ABC at AS.. So definitely possible.
Original post by Raj7500
-Did you have to retake any units?
-What kind of work experience and volunteering did you do?
It would be really helpful if you reply. Thanks.

I retook a biology unit (C overall, C in unit) and a chemistry unit (B overall, C in unit). I felt any more would be too much! My advice would be to pick a few units to redo - no more than 3 - and give them your all, rather than spread yourself too thin.
Work experience/volunteering:
- shadowed nurses for a week at a hospital
- trained and then volunteered as a lifeguard on a beach
- filed stuff in a children's hospital, 1hr/week for 3 months
- Girlguiding leader
- Visited an old person 1hr/week for 3 months
- Supporter + Listener at my school (counselling little kids)
It's not how much, or even how relevant, it's about what you take from it! I think my volunteer job as a lifeguard did more to get me in than anything else, because it was hands on, a bit different and I talked a lot about it in the interview.
Reply 595
Original post by DivideEtImpera
Hi, thanks for the reply. I have been looking at med schools which don't seem to focus too much on AS results. I have looked at Lancaster, Liverpool, Cardiff, UEA....do you have any others in mind? Are there any med schools which I should look to avoid at all costs (apart from the obvious i.e. Oxbridge , London schools, Birmingham)?
And thank you for the support!

I know that Bristol (where I am now) didn't consider them when I applied- I've just checked for this year and it says they still don't look at AS results (apart from requiring a C in the fourth A-level, which you have :smile: so that's something- and Bristol don't require an admissions test, so double bonus!

I'm not sure about other unis when it comes to AS results as it seems to change every year; when I applied, Southampton didn't look at them, but it's not clear now on their website. I'm pretty sure you can add Leeds and Newcastle to the list of ones to avoid in terms of looking at AS results though!
Reply 596
Original post by redmai
My AS results were worse than I expected- can I still do Medicine?

My AS results are high As in Geography and Philosophy & Ethics, B in Biology and C in Chemistry.
In my GCSEs I got 6.5 A*s, 4 As and a B, and my UKCAT score is 2440. I have done a lot of relevant work experience.

I am making plans with teachers and my careers advisor to discuss options, but at the moment this is what I consider doing:

Researching alternative careers/courses (I have an interest in Psychology and Physiotherapy, if anyone has any advice about that) and universities, and applying this year for a course that isn't Medicine (as my predicted grades from my AS results won't be high enough to apply to Medicine this year). Hopefully I will get an offer or two.

Dropping Geography as originally planned and continuing with Chemistry (although this may be sacrificing a possible A* for a possible B in Chemistry A2.)

Working very hard on my A2s, resitting relevant modules and aiming for AAA (with a particular focus on Chemistry, which I will need to dedicate a lot of time to.) Also gaining as much work experience as possible for the courses I have applied for (I already know several people who could help me gain experience in Physiotherapy.)

If my A2 results are AAA, I will apply to some of the medical schools that accept resits (eg. Hull York, Bristol...etc) and then take a gap year, gaining relevant experience (apparently universities really favour people with life experience, so this could give me an advantage anyway.)

OR

If my A2 results are AAB, which is a possibility due to my C in Chemistry AS, then I will still be successful if I accept any offers from the alternative courses I apply to this year (as many Physio and Psychology courses are AAB.) I will hopefully go to university at the usual time, and enjoy the course I take.

The main issue is whether to take Chemistry or to drop it. If I take it, Medicine's still a possibility and some of the top Physio and Psychology courses require two sciences. However, I may get a B in it (or even a C, but hopefully not!)

If I take Geography, which I got a high A in, I would most likely get an A or A*. My grades as a whole would probably be higher, and I may be able to apply to better courses in Physio or Psychology. However, that's my dream of practising Medicine over with.

Am I thinking along the right lines, or are there any alternative routes I should consider? (post-grad isn't really an option)
I would appreciate any feedback, and in particular the stories of people who have been in similar situations to me.

Thanks

Hi there,

Some things to bear in mind:

1. Most medical schools require an A in chemistry (even if overall they're only requiring AAB). If you don't feel you're going to get this, then you might want to consider medicine with a foundation year- I think some universities still offer these (UAE, Manchester, Cardiff, etc.)... these are for people who essentially don't have chemistry A-level (at A2, so it wouldn't matter that you would have taken it to AS level)... I don't know much about these courses other than that they are competitive, and of course they do add an additional year on to the course. If you're not going to get an A in chemistry, and are more likely to get strong A-levels without chemistry, then maybe dropping chemistry could be an option and applying to this type of course

2. If you're not keen on 1.) above, and you're absolutely dead-set on medicine, DO NOT drop chemistry as this will exclude you from all A100 courses.

3. These days, most physiotherapy courses have the same or very similar entrance requirements to medicine (such is the competition)- so don't automatically consider it as an easier back-up; psychology isn't really in the same science bracket as medicine or physiotherapy, but again I can imagine it is competitive!

4. your UKCAT averages 610. I would suggest if you do pursue medicine this year, then target those that don't consider it very highly (650 is the lowest cut-off I have seen of institutions that require it)

Hope that helps!
Reply 597
Original post by NoahJ
Hi there,

Some things to bear in mind:

1. Most medical schools require an A in chemistry (even if overall they're only requiring AAB). If you don't feel you're going to get this, then you might want to consider medicine with a foundation year- I think some universities still offer these (UAE, Manchester, Cardiff, etc.)... these are for people who essentially don't have chemistry A-level (at A2, so it wouldn't matter that you would have taken it to AS level)... I don't know much about these courses other than that they are competitive, and of course they do add an additional year on to the course. If you're not going to get an A in chemistry, and are more likely to get strong A-levels without chemistry, then maybe dropping chemistry could be an option and applying to this type of course

2. If you're not keen on 1.) above, and you're absolutely dead-set on medicine, DO NOT drop chemistry as this will exclude you from all A100 courses.

3. These days, most physiotherapy courses have the same or very similar entrance requirements to medicine (such is the competition)- so don't automatically consider it as an easier back-up; psychology isn't really in the same science bracket as medicine or physiotherapy, but again I can imagine it is competitive!

4. your UKCAT averages 610. I would suggest if you do pursue medicine this year, then target those that don't consider it very highly (650 is the lowest cut-off I have seen of institutions that require it)

Hope that helps!

Thank you! I'm hoping that with all the work I'm going to put in this year, I'll either get AAB or AAA, and this will decide which course I can take- but I understand how Physio's not exactly an easy backup! I have had a lot of medical experience though, and hope with the contacts I have I can get good Physio experience as well, so hopefully I can stand out against the competition. I'm very lucky in that I am likely to get experience in Psychology if needed, too.
If I do the UKCAT next year, I will spend more time in preparation and feel I will only improve on this year's score. I really need to research foundation years, that's a really helpful thing for you to inform me of! Thank you much for your reply! :smile:

would cambridge be similar? i know they look at AS ums a lot more, i have 88% for three subjects and 77% for one-although i have extenuating circumstances
Reply 599
Original post by Dr Gin
Definitely resit everything you can that won't compromise your main A2 papers/revision.
My daughter just got AAB, potentially if she had resat just one more chem practical she'd have got an A (she was just 8 UMS / 1.3% off) so it is devastating to have not thought it worthwhile. Don't be put off by teachers who can't really be bothered to schedule a third chemistry practical session etc. etc...
As others have said there are some med schools that won't look at AS at all (Cardiff only look at GCSE or achieved A2s), others (like Leeds) consider it to be so tough to pull up from anything less than a B at AS that they are concerned to consider you with anything lower, others rely very heavily on UKCAT or BMAT and have very low basic requirements for application so don't really give a monkeys about your GCSE or AS grades (but will still insist on AAA)…
Just be incredibly tactical about where you apply and incredibly careful about how you put together your personal statement. There is absolutely no point applying somewhere unless you are 100% confident that they will actually read your PS and that, in turn, it will blow the competition out of the water; it is usually possible from their admissions blurb to work out whether your application will get that far…
Don't be put off by anyone but your own gut.

Good luck

Thank you so much! Your advice is extremely helpful :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending