The Student Room Group

Applying to two different courses

If a candidate with good grades wishes to apply to two different courses and gears his PS towards one of them, is it likely the admissions dep't for the other course would outright reject him?
Or is it likely they'd request a 2nd PS.
This is assuming of course he'd met their grade reqs.
Original post by keromedic
If a candidate with good grades wishes to apply to two different courses and gears his PS towards one of them, is it likely the admissions dep't for the other course would outright reject him?
Or is it likely they'd request a 2nd PS.
This is assuming of course he'd met their grade reqs.

I wanted to apply for both English and Geography but after chatting to countless admissions officers, I got told to only write a personal statement for one, and to apply for one, and then try and change course to the other, or combine, when I got into uni.
Original post by awkwardusername
I wanted to apply for both English and Geography but after chatting to countless admissions officers, I got told to only write a personal statement for one, and to apply for one, and then try and change course to the other, or combine, when I got into uni.

Hmmm, I see.
Thanks for the reply.
:bump:
In general, I think it inadvisable to apply for a subject and talk about a different subject in your PS. What subjects do you want to apply for? Can you find no way to write a PS which incorporates both?

I applied for a mixture of Norwegian/French/German and I got offers from everywhere even though I hardly mentioned German and I didn't mention French at all. If you can find common themes which are relevant to both subjects then it is possible to write a good PS, for example, I talked about linguistics and the status of minority languages in Europe.
I think it depends on the subject. If you are thinking about medicine where you have to apply for a non-medicine course then universities understand this and may well accept you anyway even if your personal statement only talks about medicine.
Since you will have to decide which one you really want in the end, it makes sense to do that first and make a properly targeted application in the first place. An admissions tutor for politics looking at a a ps written for Latin is going to conclude that the applicant isn't interested in his course, knows nothing about it or isn't bright enough to fill the form in properly, so avoid all that by taking the time to decide what you really want.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending