The Student Room Group

Considering taking a year out halfway through?

Hi!

Have any of you ever taken a year our midway through your degree? Any experiences/advice to share?

I'm just about to go into third year and I'm really dreading it - purely because I have no motivation or enthusiasm to put the kind of effort I know I need to put in to be able to come out with a good mark. Honestly, I've not really enjoyed Uni at all since I started but I've suffered through two years now, I'm determined to finish it one way or another. (It definitely doesn't help that I don't particularly like my course, but I am determined to finish it now that I've got two years down).

I took on a job for the summer as a full-time temp and I really like it, plus I've picked it up really quickly. It's in finance and the experience is amazing. I asked them for part time hours but they're not able to do that, so they offered me a permanent position - would it be stupid of me to take it and work for a year? I'm able to defer my place, but I'm getting really mixed responses all of which are pretty biased for both sides.

The main worry is that I wont want to go back but I feel that I will want to by that point - taking a year out I feel would make me want to go back and I'd appreciate it more. If I hadn't been offered the job I wouldn't be considering it, but I sort of feel like the perfect solution to me not feeling ready right now has fell in my lap and I don't want to let that go just because of the pressure of finishing uni right away.

Any advice?

Quick Reply

Latest