The Student Room Group

Really need advise... A level results arnt great :(

I need some advice :ashamed:
I wanna study medicine. I managed to get low grades at A2 this year... BCD in bio, chem and maths respectively... So far I've had university of Westminister and Kingston university offer me a place in their biomedical science degree.
Idk what to do... should I accept these and then go into graduate entry medicine.. or take a year out and retake exams then try getting into a better university for biomedical science. ( queens mary will take me if I do better in my retakes next year...ABB)
Reply 1
Original post by Priya777
I wanna study medicine. I managed to get low grades at A2 this year... BCD in bio, chem and maths respectively... So far I've had university of Westminister and Kingston university offer me a place in their biomedical science degree.
Idk what to do... should I accept these and then go into graduate entry medicine.. or take a year out and retake exams then try getting into a better university for biomedical science. ( queens mary will take me if I do better in my retakes next year...ABB)

GEM Medicine is even more competitive than Bachelors. Be careful.
Reply 2
Bump
Reply 3
Original post by Revel
GEM Medicine is even more competitive than Bachelors. Be careful.

I've heard :s-smilie: thanks for the warning though!
Reply 4
Do you know which university is better? Kingston or westminister? And is it worth getting a biomedical science degree from them?
Do you know which university is better? Kingston or westminister? And is it worth getting a biomedical science degree from them?

Kingston is better, take the offer then after you finish you Bachelors do a medicine degree. I think you need 85%+ to be able to do medicine.
I've heard that some uni's dont like taking people for medicine who have retaken their a-levels, so maybe its best to go through graduate entry?
Reply 7
Resitting your A2s will put you at a disadvantage applying for straight medicine, unless you have extenuating circumstances and even then you need to get very high grades in your resits. Also, GEM is both fiercely competitive and difficult to get onto and carry on. I would advise you to think through whether you would be able to face the workload at university if you struggled at A2. Best of luck in whatever you decide :smile:
Reply 8
Hello Priya! I advice you not to redo your A levels again as it will become too difficult to get into Medicine, and i don't see the point wasting another year trying to get into a better uni. Try and make due with what you have now. I had a look through the league tables (guardian and complete university guide) and it appears that Kingston is indeed better than Westminster (but do more research on environment and location to determine which one you should go to)

You can attempt graduate medicine while doing biomed but yes it is very competitive so consider other career paths if things don't go well.

If you want to talk PM me you know who i am (pri pri !)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by YourDeath
Kingston is better, take the offer then after you finish you Bachelors do a medicine degree. I think you need 85%+ to be able to do medicine.

Could I ask, in what aspects kingston is better?
Reply 10
Original post by theartangel
I've heard that some uni's dont like taking people for medicine who have retaken their a-levels, so maybe its best to go through graduate entry?

I see, I guess maybe it is best
Reply 11
Original post by Bugsy
Resitting your A2s will put you at a disadvantage applying for straight medicine, unless you have extenuating circumstances and even then you need to get very high grades in your resits. Also, GEM is both fiercely competitive and difficult to get onto and carry on. I would advise you to think through whether you would be able to face the workload at university if you struggled at A2. Best of luck in whatever you decide :smile:

That was really informative, Thankyou!

Those results are actually really good
Reply 13
Original post by nmanvi
Hello Priya! I advice you not to redo your A levels again as it will become too difficult to get into Medicine, and i don't see the point wasting another year trying to get into a better uni. Try and make due with what you have now. I had a look through the league tables (guardian and complete university guide) and it appears that Kingston is indeed better than Westminster (but do more research on environment and location to determine which one you should go to)

You can attempt graduate medicine while doing biomed but yes it is very competitive so consider other career paths if things don't go well.

If you want to talk PM me you know who i am (pri pri !)

Hiiiiii nmanviiiiiiiiii XD I see, I think i should just go with biomedical science now I guess. Do u know by how much Kingston is better? And in what aspects its better? I dont really care about social aspects, just mainly education facilaties, teaching standards and stuff.
(thankyou for all the help btw :3)
Why did you create two threads asking exactly the same question at the same time?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2797523&p=49464189
Reply 15
Original post by WednesdayAddams
Why did you create two threads asking exactly the same question at the same time?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2797523&p=49464189

oh.... sorryy, i still getting used to tsr XD
oh.... sorryy, i still getting used to tsr XD

No worries...I replied to you in the other thread :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by YourDeath

The broscience is strong with this one.

OP the future of graduate entry medicine is somewhat uncertain. Funding has not been announced for entry after 2015. Also, the medical education system has been reviewed and looks to change fairly significantly, see shape of training review.

As the system stands now, there are half as many medical schools for graduate as there are for the traditional route. A few do put some emphasis on your a levels and some don't. You aren't expected to have 85%+ anywhere and where you studied doesn't even come in to the equation. A 2.i is sufficient in most cases and only a couple really appreciate a first.

So if you are considering graduate entry medicine then seriously consider those points and the possibility that after doing the degree you may very well not be studying medicine.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by WednesdayAddams
No worries...I replied to you in the other thread :smile:

yup :smile: And thankyou for all your help again! :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Zorg
The broscience is strong with this one.

OP the future of graduate entry medicine is somewhat uncertain. Funding has not been announced for entry after 2015. Also, the medical education system has been reviewed and looks to change fairly significantly, see shape of training review.

As the system stands now, there are half as many medical schools for graduate as there are for the traditional route. A few do put some emphasis on your a levels and some don't. You aren't expected to have 85%+ anywhere and where you studied doesn't even come in to the equation. A 2.i is sufficient in most cases and only a couple really appreciate a first.

So if you are considering graduate entry medicine then seriously consider those points and the possibility that after doing the degree you may very well not be studying medicine.

Thankyou for all this information! I shall think about all these points.

Quick Reply

Latest