The Student Room Group

RAF Gunner

Hi I was just after some advice, my partner recently joined up to the Raf to be a gunner he passed the exams and then received a letter today saying he is permanently unfit for service. This is because he apparently has depression. He is on no medication and never has been and had Cognitive Behavioural therapy because his dad died. He was signed off by the councilor in Jan.

The advisor in the office has said he can appeal this and people have succeeded in their appeal.. He is heart broken as all he has wanted to do is be in the RAF. I just wanted to know how successful appealing is and if anyone thinks he has a good case. He is going to speak to the doctor and get a written recommendation from his councillor as well.

thanks
Bex
Reply 1
How did they know he apparently has or has had depression?
Reply 2
no idea he hasnt even had his medical yet. I am assuming that because the doctor referred him to a councillor that its on record and the RAF looked it up.
Reply 3
Seems harsh to me that, also thought you had to give permission for them to see your medical records. I was at the doctors about 15 months ago for some mild health anxiety. I didn't get referred anywhere and wasn't real serious, hope that won't affect me
Original post by Carl25
Seems harsh to me that, also thought you had to give permission for them to see your medical records. I was at the doctors about 15 months ago for some mild health anxiety. I didn't get referred anywhere and wasn't real serious, hope that won't affect me

Chances are he has (an application to the military wouldn't get very far if you refused them access to your medical records), or he's filled out some paperwork about his medical history. It sounds like the OP's partner stands a fair chance of having his appeal heard and considered, but it's up to the military in the end, there's loads of conditions that people wouldn't bat an eyelid at that bar you from service in the forces. They have no shortage of applicants so they can afford to be picky.
All medical cases are dealt with on a case by case basis. I was classed as P8 but wrote to the occ med dept in RAF Cranwell who overturned the decision so it does happen. As I said though, case by case basis..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Depression is a tricky one. Don't quote me as I am not 100% however, I believe if there has been some key events that have caused said depression that are unable to happen again then there may be a good chance of appealing. However, if the depression is relatively undocumented and unexplained why it came on then I am under the impression that may be an issue.

Keep in mind though that with a role such as one in RAF Regiment they are going to have to be strict with such things.

Quick Reply

Latest