The Student Room Group

Why do some people look down on those who follow sports?

I am a big football fan and whenever I talk about it on message boards, at least one person mocks me.

why?

Scroll to see replies

Some people just tend to look down on things they personally aren't interested in as they can't see why said person would enjoy it. Each to their own I say.
I used to be like that because I thought I was a badass. Then I realised football was awesome and I was a moron.
Reply 3
People without hobbies and interests tend to take the piss out of people who actually get pleasure from things. It's weird. I'm massively into music and films, and my mates aren't interested in the slightest unless it's the latest Avengers film so they usually take the piss out of me for enjoying some weird b-movie.
That's what you get for liking American Football...
Reply 5
Because you're not involved with the team in any way, shape of form. You're not getting anything out of it at all, it's completely pointless to follow and support a team/club. Why not just play the sport and enjoy it in that way instead of following results and watching matches on TV? I can understand if someone was really into playing football and was part of a team, that makes perfect sense. But following it religiously on the telly and tracking the league tables weekly...lol.
Because sport is a bit pointless. Someone wins, someone loses, everything balances out. Still enjoy it though
Original post by sunnydespair
Because sport is a bit pointless. Someone wins, someone loses, everything balances out. Still enjoy it though

I don't think it's pointless. Some of the best days I've had have been going to places around the country to watch my team play, drink beers, have a sing song and hopefully watch the team win. It's great. Made loads of friends through the club also.
Original post by Stinkum
Because you're not involved with the team in any way, shape of form. You're not getting anything out of it at all, it's completely pointless to follow and support a team/club. Why not just play the sport and enjoy it in that way instead of following results and watching matches on TV? I can understand if someone was really into playing football and was part of a team, that makes perfect sense. But following it religiously on the telly and tracking the league tables weekly...lol.

Except we do get something out of it or we wouldn't follow it :dunce:
Reply 9
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Except we do get something out of it or we wouldn't follow it :dunce:

I meant you're not getting paid, the results don't affect your day to day life or your job/earnings in any way, unless you were someone who was directly involved with the club/team/management etc. And it takes so much effort and time to constantly track teams, results, players, transfers and league tables.
Original post by Stinkum
I meant you're not getting paid, the results don't affect your day to day life or your job/earnings in any way, unless you were someone who was directly involved with the club/team/management etc. And it takes so much effort and time to constantly track teams, results, players, transfers and league tables.

So...all hobbies are pointless then?
Basically the same reason that people make fun of those who read comics/collect stamps or speak Elvish- People aren't interested in it, don't understand it and subsequently mock. I'm not at all into sport, but I'm much more likely to be made fun of for not liking it where I come from than anyone being mocked for enjoying sport.
Original post by DrakeMaverick
I am a big football fan and whenever I talk about it on message boards, at least one person mocks me.

why?

Because people who don't follow football see football as rubbish so they decide to mock something they aren't in to. However they probably follow or find interest in something much stupider and more pointless. For example a lot of females with celebrities...
I look down on those who aren't interested in any sports whatsoever. Such laziness.

Sport is awesome.
By interested I mean participate.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Viva Emptiness
So...all hobbies are pointless then?

I'm not saying that. I just don't consider following football to be a hobby, that's my opinion, but of course people are entitled to take part in anything that brings them enjoyment. A hobby would be actually playing football. I'll even allow table football and Fantasy Premier League, lol.
Because not everyone can drive an F1 car

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bittr n swt
I look down on those who aren't interested in any sports whatsoever. Such laziness.

Sport is awesome.

Yep, all those people sitting in pubs, lifting pints all the way to their mouths and shouting at the tv. Pure athleticism :tongue: I think the difference here is between participating in sports and, as the title suggests, following sports.
That said, I don't think a person has to be interested in sports to exercise. Not necessarily a sign of laziness at all. Maybe you disagree?
Original post by jonathanemptage
Because not everyone can drive an F1 car

Posted from TSR Mobile

To those who say just do the sport

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 99DeadBaboons
Yep, all those people sitting in pubs, lifting pints all the way to their mouths and shouting at the tv. Pure athleticism :tongue: I think the difference here is between participating in sports and, as the title suggests, following sports.
That said, I don't think a person has to be interested in sports to exercise. Not necessarily a sign of laziness at all. Maybe you disagree?

Oh I misread the title..well in that case I agree with you.
Original post by bittr n swt

Sport is awesome.

Why? I don't like sport because I don't enjoy it. You're not superior to me because you like sport.

Quick Reply

Latest