The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

No finance/business related work experience for kcl application

I have no work experience, I have only had 2 summer schools (1 virtual, other in person at king’s) and 2 taster sessions at a non Russel uni and volunteering and I’m currently applying for jobs.

Will this be sufficient (I have other things but they’re hobbies or a role I have in school) ? I know many have in person work experience with finance firms and I got offered multiple but couldn’t attend any because of a holiday…
Original post by Anonymous
I have no work experience, I have only had 2 summer schools (1 virtual, other in person at king’s) and 2 taster sessions at a non Russel uni and volunteering and I’m currently applying for jobs.

Will this be sufficient (I have other things but they’re hobbies or a role I have in school) ? I know many have in person work experience with finance firms and I got offered multiple but couldn’t attend any because of a holiday…

What course are your applying for? Entry requirements tend to be explciit on their website.

Usually you won't require to have any prior work experience for any specific course. Usually, this is more applicable for courses in healthcare.

It's a little silly to turn down work experience at finance firm just because of a holiday. These are not easy to come by and they would massively help you getting jobs in the sector.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
What course are your applying for? Entry requirements tend to be explciit on their website.

Usually you won't require to have any prior work experience for any specific course. Usually, this is more applicable for courses in healthcare.

It's a little silly to turn down work experience at finance firm just because of a holiday. These are not easy to come by and they would massively help you getting jobs in the sector.

KCL for international management bsc.

Rightt but the holiday was booked before my work exp opportunity was given and refunds aren’t allowed. We went on it because my mum already booked holidays that two weeks (2nd week I had summer school) and we can’t go other years because of financial problems. I didn’t know how serious year 12 is because I have no insight from anyone I should’ve asked school though
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by Skittles_beans

Rightt but the holiday was booked before my work exp opportunity was given and refunds aren’t allowed. We went on it because my mum already booked holidays that two weeks (2nd week I had summer school) and we can’t go other years because of financial problems. I didn’t know how serious year 12 is because I have no insight from anyone I should’ve asked school though

Do you think that international management is a competitive course?

I would put aside the question of why you would want to do a management degree if you want to work in industry for the time being.

The entry requirements are shown on the following page:
https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/international-management-bsc

I will leave you to read about the A Level and IB requirements.

The section regarding work experience would be under the Personal Statement section:
"Personal Statement
We look for applicants with an enthusiasm for scholastic activities in general such as reading, debating, etc. Participation will be valued but achievement in these areas of interest will also be recognised. We are looking for enthusiasm for the programme disciplines but we also wish to recruit applicants who are attracted to the interdisciplinary nature of the King’s International Management programme.
We look for applicants who have participated as fully as possible in school, college or community life, making the most of the opportunities available to them and also those who have demonstrated some experience of society beyond their immediate environment.
We look for applicants who have varied extra-curricular interests and enjoy active participation in areas such as sport, music and the arts in general. Participation will be valued but any achievement in extra-curricular activities will also be recognised. King’s aspires to recruit applicants who will continue with their personal interests and contribute to the vitality of the College community.
Although we do not require applicants to have been in paid or voluntary employment, we welcome applications from those with any experience of work within a business setting. We will also take into account experience gained by students who have part time employment whilst studying."

So no, it's not a requirement to have work experience although it's welcomed. The uni is more focused on getting a well rounded applicant who is active in his/her noncurriculars.

By the way, if you intended to stay anonymous, you should have made sure your post was anonymous.
Do you think that international management is a competitive course?

Competitive in what respect?
Applications for management PhDs? Yep, provided you get a good grade and have a good research proposal.
For jobs in general? I think that falls upon the reputation of the uni as opposed to the individual course
For management jobs? No, because management jobs and jobs in business generally don't require a degree in management or business.

You would need to be a lot more specific about what you mean.
I would put aside the question of why you would want to do a management degree if you want to work in industry for the time being.

The entry requirements are shown on the following page:
https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/international-management-bsc

I will leave you to read about the A Level and IB requirements.

The section regarding work experience would be under the Personal Statement section:
"Personal Statement
We look for applicants with an enthusiasm for scholastic activities in general such as reading, debating, etc. Participation will be valued but achievement in these areas of interest will also be recognised. We are looking for enthusiasm for the programme disciplines but we also wish to recruit applicants who are attracted to the interdisciplinary nature of the King’s International Management programme.
We look for applicants who have participated as fully as possible in school, college or community life, making the most of the opportunities available to them and also those who have demonstrated some experience of society beyond their immediate environment.
We look for applicants who have varied extra-curricular interests and enjoy active participation in areas such as sport, music and the arts in general. Participation will be valued but any achievement in extra-curricular activities will also be recognised. King’s aspires to recruit applicants who will continue with their personal interests and contribute to the vitality of the College community.
Although we do not require applicants to have been in paid or voluntary employment, we welcome applications from those with any experience of work within a business setting. We will also take into account experience gained by students who have part time employment whilst studying."

So no, it's not a requirement to have work experience although it's welcomed. The uni is more focused on getting a well rounded applicant who is active in his/her noncurriculars.

By the way, if you intended to stay anonymous, you should have made sure your post was anonymous.

When you say “noncurriculars” do you mean to be focused more on the academic side like reading books, watching documentaries and EPQ etc…

About the anonymous part I was supposed to keep it as anonymous but accidentally clicked it so it made my username shown, I don’t mind either ways though
When you say “noncurriculars” do you mean to be focused more on the academic side like reading books, watching documentaries and EPQ etc…

About the anonymous part I was supposed to keep it as anonymous but accidentally clicked it so it made my username shown, I don’t mind either ways though

When you say “noncurriculars” do you mean to be focused more on the academic side like reading books, watching documentaries and EPQ etc…?
It's under the personal statement section. To reiterate:

scholastic activities in general such as reading, debating, etc.

Participation will be valued but achievement in these areas of interest will also be recognised.

enthusiasm for the programme disciplines but we also wish to recruit applicants who are attracted to the interdisciplinary nature of the King’s International Management programme.

applicants who have participated as fully as possible in school, college or community life, making the most of the opportunities available to them and also those who have demonstrated some experience of society beyond their immediate environment.

varied extra-curricular interests and active participation in areas such as sport, music and the arts in general.

Participation will be valued but any achievement in extra-curricular activities will also be recognised.

applicants who will continue with their personal interests and contribute to the vitality of the College community.

Whilst none of the above are specific requirements, they are looking for people who are more akin to US college applicants - all round active student with multiple interests in and out of school. Any achievements in school, sports, music, arts, volunteering, work, etc would be appreciated, but participation would be nice.

If my interpretation is correct, things like:

Duke of Edinburgh

Winning sports competitions

Read a number of noteworthy business books

Subscribed to a number of business related publications - magazines, newspapers, journals, etc.

Did business related courses on the side to supplement your learning e.g. sales, copywriting, digital marketing, etc.

Volunteering

Member of church. synangogue, mosque, etc.

Helping at care homes

IT projects

Art displayed in a gallery

Tutoring

Member of school club

Member of sports club

Playing an instrument

Winning the Olympiad - not that it's relevant

International sports competition e.g. representing UK in under18s track sports

Languages and language exchanges

Youth Enterprise - particularly relevant

Started your own business/fund - particularly relevant

Part of a trading/finance club

Helped with a local business in some way that made a notable difference

Authored a book/blog/poem/play

Extra business related qualifications - e.g. accounting, marketing, finance, HR - ideally you do these at Level 3 or lower to avoid problems with financing your degree

Produced and directed a school play

A member of a comedy or improv club

Did short qualifications in cooking

Was a member of the junior UN (or similar)

Got your essay recognised by parliment/a celebrity for the writing

...would make your application stand out. They are essentially not looking for a book worm, but they expect you to get the required grades on top of everything else. Again, none of the above are mandatory, but it would make your application competitive.

Of course, you can't do 101 things, so I would include 1-3 things from the above where you can talk about at length.

Quick Reply

Latest