The Student Room Group

Durham near-miss - still haven't heard

Hello, it's not as though I don't already know it's a rejection. Because I've gotten the gist of what happened last year. But I just wondered if anyone else is still waiting to hear from Durham? Or if you have been accepted as a near-miss?
I know I'm doing a gap year already. Blinded by hope I waited and now I have no other option, so I'm just waiting it out right now.

Scroll to see replies

Some people last year did get last minute acceptances, if that makes you feel any better. I'm sorry to hear Durham are still treating applicants poorly this year.

Have you rung them recently and asked for a timeline on them making a decision?
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Some people last year did get last minute acceptances, if that makes you feel any better. I'm sorry to hear Durham are still treating applicants poorly this year.

Have you rung them recently and asked for a timeline on them making a decision?

Yeah, I called a history tutor and she said that the longer you wait, the less likely it's going to happen. I should hear by this evening :/
The only hope I had was I got A*A*B as opposed to A*AA, which is less but, technically, equal? -_-
Thank you :smile:
Original post by can'tbeleftblank
Yeah, I called a history tutor and she said that the longer you wait, the less likely it's going to happen. I should hear by this evening :/
The only hope I had was I got A*A*B as opposed to A*AA, which is less but, technically, equal? -_-
Thank you :smile:

If they do reject you I'm sure that there are a lot of excellent universities who would take you for history with those grades - even if they're not advertising spaces. Where were your other choices?
Reply 4
Hello, it's not as though I don't already know it's a rejection. Because I've gotten the gist of what happened last year. But I just wondered if anyone else is still waiting to hear from Durham? Or if you have been accepted as a near-miss?
I know I'm doing a gap year already. Blinded by hope I waited and now I have no other option, so I'm just waiting it out right now.

You should e-mail the Admissions Office on [email protected] today. They will be able to look into your specific case to see if there's an issue with your application.
Hi, I'm one of TSR's Clearing and Applications Advisors - I was at TSR HQ on results day advising applicants.

I can't really offer specific advice on your application, but anecdotally it seems that Durham have been making some applicants who missed their offers wait until 20 August for a decision. Given that today is the 20th I'd expect you to be hearing from them very shortly.
Reply 6
I am in the same situation but with KCL. Good luck!
Original post by PQ
If they do reject you I'm sure that there are a lot of excellent universities who would take you for history with those grades - even if they're not advertising spaces. Where were your other choices?

I would feel that way, but I got rejected from my insurance at Bristol for AAA. I've had clearing offers from York (English lit though), Warwick (considers me an international applicant) , Manchester (history of art) and KCL. I'm not sure about any of them and only really called in an attempt to feel my options. But I don't want to be walking into a course and university I feel uncertain about, and thinking that I could have done better once I get there. :frown: even though that's untrue also.
I am getting a remark, since I was 1 UMS off an A. But thank you for your response. I just really need to know how people should feel if they firm a clearing choice to know it's the right decision.
Original post by benq
I am in the same situation but with KCL. Good luck!

You too! X
Original post by Palatine
You should e-mail the Admissions Office on [email protected] today. They will be able to look into your specific case to see if there's an issue with your application.

Yeah, finally got through the phone lines and have been informed I would know this evening :smile: thank you
Original post by Blackacre
Hi, I'm one of TSR's Clearing and Applications Advisors - I was at TSR HQ on results day advising applicants.

I can't really offer specific advice on your application, but anecdotally it seems that Durham have been making some applicants who missed their offers wait until 20 August for a decision. Given that today is the 20th I'd expect you to be hearing from them very shortly.

Thank you for replying, I've also heard that many who wait until then get a rejection as well :frown:. Has that been confirmed by past years?
I would feel that way, but I got rejected from my insurance at Bristol for AAA. I've had clearing offers from York (English lit though), Warwick (considers me an international applicant) , Manchester (history of art) and KCL. I'm not sure about any of them and only really called in an attempt to feel my options. But I don't want to be walking into a course and university I feel uncertain about, and thinking that I could have done better once I get there. :frown: even though that's untrue also.
I am getting a remark, since I was 1 UMS off an A. But thank you for your response. I just really need to know how people should feel if they firm a clearing choice to know it's the right decision.

what a bunch of knobends :nope:

You're right not to go with it if you're not sure, and fingers crossed for the remark.

Sorry you've been put through the ringer like this - you have done BRILLIANTLY :yes:

It is absolutely not your fault that your universities appear to be completely below your levels of competence.
Reply 12
Yeah, finally got through the phone lines and have been informed I would know this evening :smile: thank you

That's the general advice for near miss applicants but it would be best to e-mail with your UCAS ID so they can check your actual file. :smile:

Good luck! Fingers crossed for you :h:

I'm surprised at how harsh they are being considering you got 'equal' grades and were only 1 UMS off. I don't have much advice apart from email them, but best of luck!
Original post by She-Ra
Good luck! Fingers crossed for you :h:

Thank you, :smile: I feel like I've managed to pull half of TSR into my cause XD.
Original post by joker12345
I'm surprised at how harsh they are being considering you got 'equal' grades and were only 1 UMS off. I don't have much advice apart from email them, but best of luck!

Thank you. It certainly was a case of celebration when I opened my results, since I was convinced that was enough to be accepted (how blissfully ignorant of me). It was then anticipation and concern, now it's been full-blown anxiety since Friday. :frown:
Thank you, :smile: I feel like I've managed to pull half of TSR into my cause XD.

That's what we're all here for :tongue:
Original post by PQ
what a bunch of knobends :nope:

You're right not to go with it if you're not sure, and fingers crossed for the remark.

Sorry you've been put through the ringer like this - you have done BRILLIANTLY :yes:

It is absolutely not your fault that your universities appear to be completely below your levels of competence.

Thank you so much for your advice - I feel like you've confirmed what I know is right about my university choices. :smile:
I wish I could have celebrated my grades. Now I'm a tiny bit pissed that Durham have, effectively, robbed me of that opportunity.
(edited 9 years ago)
Thank you for replying, I've also heard that many who wait until then get a rejection as well :frown:. Has that been confirmed by past years?

I'm not sure since I've only been advising this year. :nope:

What I would say, though, is that you've done fantastically - don't let this pallava with Durham overshadow it. For what it's worth they messed me about a few years ago too; with A*A*B it really is their loss if they don't take you. I'm sure you'll do brilliantly wherever you end up going to university - just make sure it's at an institution and for a course that you're invested in wholeheartedly, or you won't enjoy the experience as much as you deserve to.

Best of luck, let us know how it turns out, and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. :hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest