The Student Room Group

My parents might have ruined my life...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by godd
I think you will ruin your life going for that IB job. You've managed to get into one of the best
courses in the UK and you want to risk it all for a 100/1 longshot at IB.

You want to play those odds, be my guest.

IB? Lol? You think I want this for the money? My dads a millionaire, its exactly WHY he forces me into dentistry - he doesnt want me to work those hours and stress etc.

I don't even want IB really, actuary/risk is much more appealing to me.
Original post by ando181
Bank holiday dude... or else, trust me, i wouldnt be on here lol

Ahh good point :lol:
Bright and early tomorrow then.

Again, your grades are phenomenal I'm just worried about course availability for you :frown: fingers crossed. Have you spoken to your parents about your change of mind?
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Ahh good point :lol:
Bright and early tomorrow then.

Again, your grades are phenomenal I'm just worried about course availability for you :frown: fingers crossed. Have you spoken to your parents about your change of mind?

Yes, they've finally decided to let me do my own thing - i fear its too late though..
If anyone says that the parents aren't at fault or that he should be listening to them, you can all kindly **** off.

This is a situation i've seen a cousin and a friend in because their parents forced them to do medicine. Heck, one of them even paid ridiculous fees for the friend to get into Prague to study medicine. They all think it's the road to riches and fame.

People not from an indian/pakistani background won't understand this; because their son/daughter is now a doctor/dentist, it puts them on the social ladder and above everyone else. These egomaniacs do whatever it takes for their sons and daughters to do it. It also helps in the fact that arranged marriages are quicker and easier as their kid is in a good job.

Have I mentioned also that the son/daughter in this culture is responsible to look after their parents? They don't stick them in a care home and they don't leave their parents house. Another reason why they want them to be earning a lot of money.

I have parents who are like this as well; after almost destroying my life they now realize they can't force me, and I'll be applying for Econ now. They're now working on my 5 year old brother to be a doctor, and I'm dead ****ing serious here.
Original post by ando181
Yes, they've finally decided to let me do my own thing - i fear its too late though..

Well that's a great start. What universities have you got in mind to call tomorrow? (Apart from the usual LSE and UCL business)
Reply 45
Original post by ando181
It wasn't medicine, but it was close.
There are a lot of jobs in the city, all pay well for someone who goes to a target university.
Medicine doesn't have good pay lol, are you stupid?

Perhaps you could "jump ship" from the first year of your new degree programme? As in apply again while doing the first year of the degree your parents forced you into. That way, you could at least tell interviewers that you thought you wanted to do this degree -- but decided against it after trying it out at uni for a month. I'm not entirely sure if this would help, but it sounds more substantial than another gap year.
Original post by ando181

It's not too late at all.
Reply 47
Original post by ando181

I really don't know what to do :frown:
Has anyone been in a similar position before, or anyone know what to do??

Your posting history would indicate the exact opposite - that all you want is to be a medic / dentist and tell everyone how much you earn.
My Dad was in a similar situation at university. He has a passion for mathematics, and wanted to study it, but his parents refused to fund him unless he studied engineering. He couldn't fund it himself, so he studied engineering. Although it gave him a secure, well-paid job for 26 years, during which time he worked up to a managing position and was able to take an early retirement, he continually says he would never put that pressure on me, and that he would fund whatever I wanted to do. If he had studied mathematics, he might well have loved the job, but wouldn't have been paid as much, and wouldn't be in such a 'comfortable' situation now.

It's a very similar situation to yours - studying dentistry guarantees you a well-paid career, which will support you perhaps a little better than a career after an economics and mathematics degree.

I don't blame your parents because they want to secure you a future. Neither do I blame you, because you have a right, as a human adult, to choose to study whatever in the world you want to study. Even if your parents didn't support it, you could, within reason, start an Art degree through clearing. It might be at an awful university with low entry requirements because you haven't prepared a portfolio, but nobody would be able to stop you if it was what YOU wanted to do.

I think you get the gist. It is your decision. The choices are:

- Dentistry - Likely to have more support from parents, well-paid career, but not as enjoyable
- Economics and maths - Less support from parents, unknown job at the end of it, more enjoyable

YOU, and only you can make that decision.

However, there is also the possibility that you study dentistry now, secure a job in that area, and then study mathematics and economics part-time through the open university. You could keep it as a hobby, or you could view dentistry as a temporary stage to fund your future in mathematics and economics.

I have no doubts that if you wanted to study mathematics and economics, you could find a place somewhere. There's no telling where it would be, or what the quality of teaching would be, but you would be able to secure a place through clearing.

Make a decision and stick to it, but do what's best for you, and not what's best for your parents.
Original post by helpmekid
**** Your parents!!!!

Its your life!!! THEY WASTED YOUR LIFES 1 YEAR!!!

Stand up and do what YOU WANT!!!

Change Courses, move out/change UNI

DO SOMETHING!!!! There is still a bit of time! you can go through clearing!

Not that easy mate, it could **** up their relationship and to be honest, I'd say that's worth more than doing what you want for 3 years.
Well that's a great start. What universities have you got in mind to call tomorrow? (Apart from the usual LSE and UCL business)

Gonna call UCL, warwick, probs wont even bother calling oxbridge/LSE.
If they dont let me in this year I really cant see myself taking another gap year...
Original post by PythianLegume
It's not too late at all.

Do you really think theres a chance of them letting me in this year?
Original post by ando181
Do you really think theres a chance of them letting me in this year?

There's a chance, but a very small one. You'll likely have to take a gap year. But there's plenty of worthwhile things you could do during it.
Original post by carrotstar
My Dad was in a similar situation at university. He has a passion for mathematics, and wanted to study it, but his parents refused to fund him unless he studied engineering. He couldn't fund it himself, so he studied engineering. Although it gave him a secure, well-paid job for 26 years, during which time he worked up to a managing position and was able to take an early retirement, he continually says he would never put that pressure on me, and that he would fund whatever I wanted to do. If he had studied mathematics, he might well have loved the job, but wouldn't have been paid as much, and wouldn't be in such a 'comfortable' situation now.

It's a very similar situation to yours - studying dentistry guarantees you a well-paid career, which will support you perhaps a little better than a career after an economics and mathematics degree.

I don't blame your parents because they want to secure you a future. Neither do I blame you, because you have a right, as a human adult, to choose to study whatever in the world you want to study. Even if your parents didn't support it, you could, within reason, start an Art degree through clearing. It might be at an awful university with low entry requirements because you haven't prepared a portfolio, but nobody would be able to stop you if it was what YOU wanted to do.

I think you get the gist. It is your decision. The choices are:

- Dentistry - Likely to have more support from parents, well-paid career, but not as enjoyable
- Economics and maths - Less support from parents, unknown job at the end of it, more enjoyable

YOU, and only you can make that decision.

However, there is also the possibility that you study dentistry now, secure a job in that area, and then study mathematics and economics part-time through the open university. You could keep it as a hobby, or you could view dentistry as a temporary stage to fund your future in mathematics and economics.

I have no doubts that if you wanted to study mathematics and economics, you could find a place somewhere. There's no telling where it would be, or what the quality of teaching would be, but you would be able to secure a place through clearing.

Make a decision and stick to it, but do what's best for you, and not what's best for your parents.

I care about having a well paying job at the end of it, dont get me wrong, but I need to enjoy the degree too.
I wouldn't be willing to go to a uni outside of the 'city targets' TBH.

I do agree that having a well paying job is also important.
Original post by PythianLegume
There's a chance, but a very small one. You'll likely have to take a gap year. But there's plenty of worthwhile things you could do during it.

It would be a second gap year though, not only has this gap year been very difficult for me, but also I can't see the universities believing that I'd be ready for such a demanding course after 2 years out of education :/
Original post by ando181
It would be a second gap year though, not only has this gap year been very difficult for me, but also I can't see the universities believing that I'd be ready for such a demanding course after 2 years out of education :/

Universities do let people onto courses after years out from education. You have heard of mature students, right?
Original post by ando181
Gonna call UCL, warwick, probs wont even bother calling oxbridge/LSE.
If they dont let me in this year I really cant see myself taking another gap year...

How about QMUL? Manchester, Nottingham, Birmingham? I'm guessing you don't have location preferences :smile:
How about QMUL? Manchester, Nottingham, Birmingham? I'm guessing you don't have location preferences :smile:

I wouldn't be willing to go to any of those unis really, they wouldn't provide me with the same opportunities compared to the ones I've mentioned.
Original post by SteelCookie
If anyone says that the parents aren't at fault or that he should be listening to them, you can all kindly **** off.

This is a situation i've seen a cousin and a friend in because their parents forced them to do medicine. Heck, one of them even paid ridiculous fees for the friend to get into Prague to study medicine. They all think it's the road to riches and fame.

People not from an indian/pakistani background won't understand this; because their son/daughter is now a doctor/dentist, it puts them on the social ladder and above everyone else. These egomaniacs do whatever it takes for their sons and daughters to do it. It also helps in the fact that arranged marriages are quicker and easier as their kid is in a good job.

Have I mentioned also that the son/daughter in this culture is responsible to look after their parents? They don't stick them in a care home and they don't leave their parents house. Another reason why they want them to be earning a lot of money.

I have parents who are like this as well; after almost destroying my life they now realize they can't force me, and I'll be applying for Econ now. They're now working on my 5 year old brother to be a doctor, and I'm dead ****ing serious here.

I know man, almost every phone call my father makes to friends/family consists of him bragging on and ****ing on about how I'm going to university, it's like he wants the whole world to ****ing know.
Reply 59
Original post by ando181
Do you know what its like when every time you say you want to do a different course your entire family starts asking you 'why, why why?' and then your parents constantly persuade you into it and will piss you off until you agree? Do you know what thats like? I think not, so please.

That's no excuse to be weak though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending