The Student Room Group

My parents might have ruined my life...

Scroll to see replies

CAPITAL LETTERS!!!

2 years, who cares? Stop blaming your parents and grow a backbone - do what you want.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ando181
It would be a second gap year though, not only has this gap year been very difficult for me, but also I can't see the universities believing that I'd be ready for such a demanding course after 2 years out of education :/

Hey man, it really sucks to hear you've been forced into dentistry. As someone who is going into dentistry this year, if it's not your passion, you'll hate staring into mouths all day. What is the point of doing it for so many years just to get a career out of it, because by the sounds of things, if you become a GDP you'll be miserable and that isn't fair for you.

I can't really suggest much other than to go for your dream and try getting in this year, and if that doesn't work, try and do something over a second gap year, whether it be work or even doing voluntary work, or even an internship somewhere just to sort you some cash out over the year. Your grades are astounding, so you're halfway there - you don't have to do much now other than write your Personal Statement about how passionate you are about your subject (again, will be easy - you proved to an admissions team you wanted to do a degree you're not even interested in). Anybody at any age can go to University, whether they're a direct school leaver or they're 60 years old and haven't even seen their old school for the last 30 years, go for it! I promise you, as long as you prove you've not sat idle over the last year you'll get your offer.
Original post by SteelCookie
If anyone says that the parents aren't at fault or that he should be listening to them, you can all kindly **** off.

This is a situation i've seen a cousin and a friend in because their parents forced them to do medicine. Heck, one of them even paid ridiculous fees for the friend to get into Prague to study medicine. They all think it's the road to riches and fame.

People not from an indian/pakistani background won't understand this; because their son/daughter is now a doctor/dentist, it puts them on the social ladder and above everyone else. These egomaniacs do whatever it takes for their sons and daughters to do it. It also helps in the fact that arranged marriages are quicker and easier as their kid is in a good job.

Have I mentioned also that the son/daughter in this culture is responsible to look after their parents? They don't stick them in a care home and they don't leave their parents house. Another reason why they want them to be earning a lot of money.

I have parents who are like this as well; after almost destroying my life they now realize they can't force me, and I'll be applying for Econ now. They're now working on my 5 year old brother to be a doctor, and I'm dead ****ing serious here.

I completely agree, parents can become such...bad parents when it comes to their child's future. Now, don't get me wrong, wanting your child to be successful is one thing, but forcing them down an alley they don't want to for your own personal gain down the line is just downright disgusting. Such injustice to the child. They should be allowed to choose their own future as by the time they're applying to university they're well aware of their interests.

And I will admit, my friend's boyfriend's parents have a similar (dreadful, I might add) culture in which it's considered acceptable to bully their child into a career that will ultimately benefit the parents. They tried to bully him into studying Engineering, and do you know what he did? He did work experience, wrote his personal statement, polished and sent off his application, and only told his parents he had gone for Medicine AFTER he had heard back from universities and accepted one of them. That way the parents couldn't interfere. Isn't that awful? They forced their own son into slyly applying for something else because he didn't want to stand for their injustice any longer.

All this talk of injustice might be the appropriate time to bring in that I'm a law student.

Anyways, the parents are at fault, but the OP could've been a sneaky bugger like my friend's boyfriend. Hope things get sorted out as those are excellent results.
Original post by Kj2013
That's no excuse to be weak though

lol.
Original post by ando181
I wouldn't be willing to go to any of those unis really, they wouldn't provide me with the same opportunities compared to the ones I've mentioned.

Ahh fair enough. Call up your choices tomorrow then quote me to let me know how it goes :h:
Original post by ando181
It wasn't medicine, but it was close.

Pharmacy?
Biomedical science?
Radiography?
Original post by SteelCookie
If anyone says that the parents aren't at fault or that he should be listening to them, you can all kindly **** off.

This is a situation i've seen a cousin and a friend in because their parents forced them to do medicine. Heck, one of them even paid ridiculous fees for the friend to get into Prague to study medicine. They all think it's the road to riches and fame.

People not from an indian/pakistani background won't understand this; because their son/daughter is now a doctor/dentist, it puts them on the social ladder and above everyone else. These egomaniacs do whatever it takes for their sons and daughters to do it. It also helps in the fact that arranged marriages are quicker and easier as their kid is in a good job.

Have I mentioned also that the son/daughter in this culture is responsible to look after their parents? They don't stick them in a care home and they don't leave their parents house. Another reason why they want them to be earning a lot of money.

I have parents who are like this as well; after almost destroying my life they now realize they can't force me, and I'll be applying for Econ now. They're now working on my 5 year old brother to be a doctor, and I'm dead ****ing serious here.

This. It's horrible. I come from an Asian family and I was told I have to be a doctor or lawyer from a very young age. Even now when I've actually graduated I still get told I should be a doctor/lawyer (depending on who I'm talking to)

OP do what you want. Otherwise you might live a life full of regrets. Plus if you really hate dentistry, you might just end up failing it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Politricks
Pharmacy?
Biomedical science?
Radiography?

Pretty strange how you mention all those things without mentioning dentistry lol
Original post by ando181
They can, and they did. TBH, they were only happy when I told them I'd do the degree they wanted me to, its not that bad - but its not what i want to do. I told them that I enjoy mathematics and its application - but they would have none of it, until recently.

My course has absolutely no relevance to economics and no, I wouldn't be able to transfer.

Why not there is usually a grace period where you can transfer (like 6 weeks)if there is space on the course while you there why not do that your parents won't red to know until you graduate at which point it will be too late.
Original post by ando181
Pretty strange how you mention all those things without mentioning dentistry lol

I'm sure you could get a job in finance with a Dentistry degree if it is too late to switch.

Dentistry also pays well.
Reply 70
Lol this really puts asian families in a bad light, just wanted to say for the record I was never forced into doing any degree by my asian family and told me to do whatever I wanted to do which is the way it should always be, I guess lucky for them I wanted to do dentistry anyway but I did mention other degrees to them like accountancy and they would've been totally fine with it if I decided that is the degree I wanted to do.

Not all asian families are like OP's and I just wanted to provide some balance lol. I would never force anyone into doing something they didn't want to, I wouldn't care if they wanted to do Horse Fashion to be perfectly honest because it's their life and not mine.
I was just reading all of the comments but you really need to call Universities that you want to go to immediately.

And please do tell us if a university has accepted you.

Best of luck. But I hope you learnt something from this and never let anyone dictate what you should do and stray you away from what you really want to do.
Reply 72
I would hate to do dentistry- imagine staring into other peoples mouths for the rest of your life...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ando181
Really? pharmacy LOL
And no, medicine doesn't pay **** until you're a consultant or a GP and that takes ages. Even then, not >120k
Someone whos smart and goes to one of the target unis wouldn't have a 'normal' job in the city though...

ask fresh LSE econ graduates what they're making...it's less than 120k.

Also, you don't have a love for the subject. If you loved the subject you would go on to do a master and a phd and get into research, not a 120k job....

So don't say you love the subject, say you love money and econ according to you gives you a better chance at making more money.

Also, the over-subscribing econ courses part, doesn't that tell you anything about what econ graduate pay might look like in 3yrs (assuming its 3yrs programme) ? supply and demand, remember? :smile:
Original post by 2en1
I would hate to do dentistry- imagine staring into other peoples mouths for the rest of your life...

Posted from TSR Mobile

You could say that about any job - its really not that bad lol.
Medicine - Stupid long hours - lot of BS paper work, having to touch peoples ********s, genitals etc.

Accounting - boring

Investment banking - Stupid hours, everyone hates bankers, no life, boring work

Engineering - Sausage fest, not a GREAT salary, a lot of work routine.

Theres bad points about every job
Original post by zedeneye1
ask fresh LSE econ graduates what they're making...it's less than 120k.

Also, you don't have a love for the subject. If you loved the subject you would go on to do a master and a phd and get into research, not a 120k job....

So don't say you love the subject, say you love money and econ according to you gives you a better chance at making more money.

Also, the over-subscribing econ courses part, doesn't that tell you anything about what econ graduate pay might look like in 3yrs (assuming its 3yrs programme) ? supply and demand, remember? :smile:

Lol, obviously a fresh LSE grad is not making 120k, the point is, a degree from one of the target unis can get you an interview at pretty much any firm.

Im not even interested in IB tbh, i prefer quants and actuary. Theres 1000s of jobs in the city.
Theres so many other ways of being a success in your life. Today they said Medicine, tomorrow it'll be another demand.
You can just ring up the UNI you have chosen and ask to changed courses you know, if they do Economics that is?

Your parents won't know till about 3 years and you've graduated several years too early

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ando181
Lol, obviously a fresh LSE grad is not making 120k, the point is, a degree from one of the target unis can get you an interview at pretty much any firm.

Im not even interested in IB tbh, i prefer quants and actuary. Theres 1000s of jobs in the city.

then obviously you like statistics more than maths and a bachelor in acturial sciences or some other certification (dont know what they have in UK) is what you need.

Anyways, just tell your parents you want to be a <the wat ever>

try telling them its a waste of dentistry seat when you don't really want to do it.

Also, what offers did u get? do u already have a dentistry offer?
Original post by zedeneye1
then obviously you statistics more than maths and a bachelor in acturial sciences or some other certification (dont know what they have in UK) is what you need.

Anyways, just tell your parents you want to be a <the wat ever>

try telling them its a waste of dentistry seat when you don't really want to do it.

Also, what offers did u get? do u already have a dentistry offer?

You don't need an actuary degree to be an actuary, you do the exams when you work for a firm - normally you have like one day a week called a 'study' day

Yes, I have an offer for dentistry

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending