The Student Room Group

What universities have my GCSEs ruled out?

Hi so I'm a bit scared after reading all of these results threads, as I didn't think GCSEs actually mattered as much as they do.

GCSE - A*AABBBBBCCCD
AS - ABBB (with 99% in Maths, Bs in English, Chemistry and Psychology)

I'm taking an intensive FM course next year, so I will drop my literary subjects, and my target will be A*A*A in Maths, Further, Chemistry.

Even though my results in A level will be good, I understand that a lot of universities actually CARE about GCSEs, so which places should I rule out?

Only started to turn myself around at school around March this year, which is annoying as I wish I'd applied myself in GCSEs as well as the full AS year, but I've lamented enough over this and now need to know where I can apply, and where I can't.

Also, is there a list of universities that have set GCSE requirements?
And are there some of said universities that are willing to waive the requirements if performance in AS and A2 is good enough?

Maths is the course if you're somehow still wondering :smile:.

Thanks
(edited 9 years ago)
Your GCSE's aren't that bad, I know some people who are trying to get into Russell Group universities with similar grades to you :smile:. Look on the course that you want to do as entry requirements may vary e.g. medicine will have higher entry requirements to sociology, for example.
Reply 2
Original post by luckylaurax
Your GCSE's aren't that bad, I know some people who are trying to get into Russell Group universities with similar grades to you :smile:. Look on the course that you want to do as entry requirements may vary e.g. medicine will have higher entry requirements to sociology, for example.

Thanks for this, will have a good nosy around the sites :smile:
Reply 3
My son had the same grades (+ or - a grade). He applied for straight BSc maths to Edin, Bristol, Notts, Birmingham and Leeds and had offers from all of them (going to Edin this Sept).

His AS level performance was quite a bit better that his GCSE performance. This year he got A* A (FM) A (physics).

GCSE exams are NOT necessarily a measure of academic ability or future performance. However, if you worked very very hard to get these results then the next stage might be very challenging for you.

--- edit ---

Just to avoid any confusion - my son had the same TOTAL grades as you (within a grade or two).
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Nothing in your academic performance has precluded you from going to ANY university to study maths in the UK.

However, Imperial might be the exception to the above (stickler for grades). Oxbridge have additional tests to sort the wheat from the chaff. Warwick automatically give out maths offers based on being a certain number of A2 grade predictions within their requirements (+ satisfying the much more difficult STEP requirements). All other universities are likely to give an offer so long as references and PS sufficiently support the application. Treat the example PSs on TSR as to not what to do - cringe worthy beyond belief.
Reply 5
Original post by pryngles
Hi so I'm a bit scared after reading all of these results threads, as I didn't think GCSEs actually mattered as much as they do.

GCSE - A*AABBBBBCCCD
AS - ABBB (with 99% in Maths, Bs in English, Chemistry and Psychology)

I'm taking an intensive FM course next year, so I will drop my literary subjects, and my target will be A*A*A in Maths, Further, Chemistry.

Even though my results in A level will be good, I understand that a lot of universities actually CARE about GCSEs, so which places should I rule out?

Only started to turn myself around at school around March this year, which is annoying as I wish I'd applied myself in GCSEs as well as the full AS year, but I've lamented enough over this and now need to know where I can apply, and where I can't.

Also, is there a list of universities that have set GCSE requirements?
And are there some of said universities that are willing to waive the requirements if performance in AS and A2 is good enough?

Maths is the course if you're somehow still wondering :smile:.

Thanks

For a "straight" maths course at uni, GCSEs are of far less importance than you would think, and your grades are perfectly respectable anyway!

The biggest factor in getting an offer will be your performance in AS and A2 Maths and FM so you really need to get that FM sorted.
Reply 6
Original post by davros
For a "straight" maths course at uni, GCSEs are of far less importance than you would think, and your grades are perfectly respectable anyway!

The biggest factor in getting an offer will be your performance in AS and A2 Maths and FM so you really need to get that FM sorted.

Thanks very much for your comments and advice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest