The Student Room Group

What makes us ugly/beautiful

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Biryani007
Who else took a pic of themselves from the side? :colondollar:

Yes

@magnet
A beard will work wonders for weak jaw brahs. When I grow a beard it's literally only to hide the jaw.
Head width

Upper lip and brow line. Head width is the one that stumped me..it is basically from where your hair joins...rather than jaw width.

With men between 1.8-2 is good...can't remember what it is for women. I will check.

Head width is more to do with testosterone level...the middle face. Lower third is more to do with diet and breathing. Upper third I am not good at...but someone said I needed forehead plastic surgery when researching this.

Also that isn't me...he just appears to have the same sort of number.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by fairnotfair
Yes

@magnet
A beard will work wonders for weak jaw brahs. When I grow a beard it's literally only to hide the jaw.

Tbf guys with beards >>>>> guys without beards.
Original post by Magnetist-Master
Head width

Upper lip and brow line. Head width is the one that stumped me..it is basically from where your hair joins...rather than jaw width.

With men between 1.8-2 is good...can't remember what it is for women. I will check.

Oh that, I've done that before lol.
Yes

@magnet

This is true. A lot of guys grow beards to hide a weak jaw. Not everyone can grow beards though. I can't for one, but I have a good jaw so not a problem, prefer to show off my jaw tbh.

Probably good jaw and stubble is the best combo. Two big signs of masculinity.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Tbf guys with beards >>>>> guys without beards.

Depends on if they can grow a decent one. They can make u look better but having a beard is a pain in the ass and if I had a decent jaw I wouldn't even bother growing one out
Depends on if they can grow a decent one. They can make u look better but having a beard is a pain in the ass and if I had a decent jaw I wouldn't even bother growing one out

But they feel nice to touch
WOW! I actually learnt a lot from this thread! Who knew mouth breathing can make you look ugly?
This is true. A lot of guys grow beards to hide a weak jaw. Not everyone can grow beards though. I can't for one, but I have a good jaw so not a problem, prefer to show off my jaw tbh.

Probably good jaw and stubble is the best combo. Two big signs of masculinity.

Just being able to grow a beard makes a guy look a lot much better than someone who couldn't grow anything. Even when hairy guys are clean shaven you can tell theyre nursing some potential
Sexy as f (no homo) :wink:
Original post by coldhell
WOW! I actually learnt a lot from this thread! Who knew mouth breathing can make you look ugly?

It is something I had noticed tbh before reading...the gormless look I call it. I just thought it was the having the mouth open that caused the look and only whilst having the mouth open..basically if they started breathing through their nose and shut their mouth they'd stop looking gormless.

Didn't realise it has such a huge effect on how the bones in your face develop and gives you that haunted look. I had noticed the haunted look, just thought it was from tiredness from bad breathing leading to a bad nights sleep.

Mouth breathers also are more likely to snore and get sleep apnea when older. My old housemate who I would sleep with from time to time(when drunk) was a mouth breather...I had to get rid for two reaosns...I didn't find her attractive due to her mouth breathing face, she would also snore...if she was a nose breather who had a good diet she would have been hot also.
Just being able to grow a beard makes a guy look a lot much better than someone who couldn't grow anything. Even when hairy guys are clean shaven you can tell theyre nursing some potential
Sexy as f (no homo) :wink:

I can grow some beard...just not a complete full one, goatee area is strong..just lack on my cheeks. I only use beard trimmer so usually have stubble...just not thick stubble across all my face.

I could throw rogaine on my face and get a full beard...but the stuff is a poison and isn't worth it.
Reply 91
Abbas Naqvi..I have just googled. He's not at model level so I assume he is an actor. But he has a good jaw and good brow development...can also tell he is a nose breather.

Male model is more like this

He is a model, what are you on about? Imran is very very attractive. Both are attractive, but Imran looks better if you compare those two pics. The second guy look like he's pouting.
Reply 92

Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
But they feel nice to touch

I agree with this statement. You don't need a beard if you have a really strong jawline.

August Alsina probably has the most strongest alien-looking jawline I've ever seen. It looks unnatural.
Original post by AnharM
He is a model, what are you on about? Imran is very very attractive. Both are attractive, but Imran looks better if you compare those two pics. The second guy look like he's pouting.

Second guy is better looking imo
Original post by AnharM
the guy in the top photo looks unnatractive and feminine. I wouldnt be able to take him seriously..
The other guy is actually good looking and looks alpha
Original post by AnharM

I meant more in terms of his jaw and brow aren't at model level..more like actor level. I expect models to be really angular..he isn't. But his jaw is still strong and obviously shows strong features.

I really don't know much about modelling tbh...just when I see models they tend to have a certain look and a very masculine angular one at that.

I will describe what I think I know with David Gandy as an example

strong jaw...wide head.. those are obvious ones. It is the brow that isn't the obvious one...look at his eyes. You cannot see the lids...you can with pretty much every other male. It shows high test levels if you can't due to strong brow. Randy Orton is the same. They call it deep sunk eyes I believe and is seen as a positive trait...it is due to having a big brow.
Reply 96
Original post by Biryani007
Second guy is better looking imo

the guy in the top photo looks unnatractive and feminine. I wouldnt be able to take him seriously..

Wow, Imran is one of the most attractive South Asian guys and you called him unattractive hahaha.

Even though he looks more feminine, he's still very attractive.
If anyone was interested about the swallowing / cheek development theory, I've kind of sussed it out.

There is a muscle underl
ying the cheeks called the buccinator muscle. When you puff your cheeks out or do a "fish face" (sucking your cheeks in) you're giving this muscle a workout.
If
you don't spend your leisure time puffing your cheeks out or sucking them in yet you still have slightly fat or "unattractive" cheeks, it's because of the way you swallow: way too many people swallow using their cheeks (sucking them in) and the aim here is to not exercise the buccinator muscle. By not exercising the muscle, you're weakening it causing it to hollow and give you that desirable Johnny Depp, sunken cheek(bone) look the op was talking about.
So rather than swallowing using
your cheeks, swallow using your tongue. It's actually a way more natural way to swallow. If you say the word "no", you feel your tongue pushing on the bridge of your mouth when you first sound out the word. Swallow like that. The pressure of your tongue pushing on the bridge of your mouth will cause food and liquid to be pushed down your mouth / throat without any movement of the face necessary.

To sum up the theor
y of how to swallow: swallow in a manner where there is no movement in your face. Check this out in the mirror if it helps. Of course you need to chew using your jaw, but when it comes to swallowing your cheeks shouldn't be doing the work: your tongue and throat should.

Just m
y two pennies :wink:
P.S: Everyone's beautiful, end of story
Reply 98

Oh, are you talking about August Alsina? He's very attractive...if you don't think so, then you are off your head :laugh:
Original post by AnharM
I agree with this statement. You don't need a beard if you have a really strong jawline.

August Alsina probably has the most strongest alien-looking jawline I've ever seen. It looks unnatural.

I like stubble though!

What? Are you mad? I don;t like the bottom one at all, but Imran :perv:

Maybe I like girly guys? :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest