The Student Room Group

CIE has ruined my life

So basically, I'm getting a re-mark for my CIE A Level Physics cause I need it upgraded from a 'B' to an 'A' to meet my Imperial offer. I geniunely think I got 'A' and I have good reasons to believe so.

Problem is, I submitted it for re-marking on the 14th but CIE won't allow me a priority re-mark cause I'm an international student and priority re-marks are only allowed for UK students. Therefore, my re-mark might not even arrive before 31st August - deadline for meeting my Imperial offer.

If my re-mark doesn't arrive before the 31st, I'll lose my place at Imperial and I'll have to go to University of Manchester - my insurance choice. The problem with this is: Manchester starts on around the 15th and there's no way I'll get my visa in time.

I can't apply for a visa without having a CAS number, and to get a CAS number from my university, they need to have my final qualifications (i.e: they need the results of my physics re-mark).

1 month ago, there is no way I could have envisioned such a calamitous situation. CIE - within a couple of days - has ruined my life!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Godel_Mark
So basically, I'm getting a re-mark for my CIE A Level Physics cause I need it upgraded from a 'B' to an 'A' to meet my Imperial offer. I geniunely think I got 'A' and I have good reasons to believe so.

Problem is, I submitted it for re-marking on the 14th but CIE won't allow me a priority re-mark cause I'm an international student and priority re-marks are only allowed for UK students. Therefore, my re-mark might not even arrive before 31st August - deadline for meeting my Imperial offer.

If my re-mark doesn't arrive before the 31st, I'll lose my place at Imperial and I'll have to go to University of Manchester - my insurance choice. The problem with this is: Manchester starts on around the 15th and there's no way I'll get my visa in time.

I can't apply for a visa without having a CAS number, and to get a CAS number from my university, they need to have my final qualifications (i.e: they need the results of my physics re-mark).

1 month ago, there is no way I could have envisioned such a calamitous situation. CIE - within a couple of days - has ruined my life!

Firstly, have you contacted CIE directly and explained your situation? You have to let them know that a priority remark is absolutely necessary. If you have and they've told you you can't have a priority remark, contact Imperial and explain that your final grade may not come through by the deadline. Most universities are very understanding with problems such as these, and they will probably extend the deadline for you.

Also explain your problem to Manchester, who I'm sure will try to get your CAS to you ASAP given your circumstances, and make arrangements to get you up to speed for when you would actually arrive, should you end up going with Manchester. As long as you've explained your situation, I'm sure they will be lenient.

Lastly, don't worry too much! Other than contacting the unis and CIE, it's out of your hands. You are very, very unlikely to lose your place at both unis now, so relax and enjoy the rest of your summer break.
Reply 2
Original post by Tedfoo25
Firstly, have you contacted CIE directly and explained your situation? You have to let them know that a priority remark is absolutely necessary. If you have and they've told you you can't have a priority remark, contact Imperial and explain that your final grade may not come through by the deadline. Most universities are very understanding with problems such as these, and they will probably extend the deadline for you.

Also explain your problem to Manchester, who I'm sure will try to get your CAS to you ASAP given your circumstances, and make arrangements to get you up to speed for when you would actually arrive, should you end up going with Manchester. As long as you've explained your situation, I'm sure they will be lenient.

Lastly, don't worry too much! Other than contacting the unis and CIE, it's out of your hands. You are very, very unlikely to lose your place at both unis now, so relax and enjoy the rest of your summer break.

CIE have said they 'process enquiries about results in the order they receive them' - so basically there's no way to speed up the process. Imperial have not bothered replying to my email. So things are looking bleak.
Reply 3

yes international students are at a disadvantage most of the time.
we pay for our exams, we pay for our school fees from young and we pay up for our uni fees in full.
i am really sorry to hear about your situation.

which country are you from?
if you're from one of the better ranked countries, your visa will be approved quite quickly.

you have to be patient with anything British.
their administration is really very very slow.
you will have to exercise a great deal of patience.

i wish you luck.
Original post by Maura Kat
we pay for our exams, we pay for our school fees from young and we pay up for our uni fees in full.

if you're from one of the better ranked countries, your visa will be approved quite quickly.

i wish you luck.

Wow, you seem fond of Britain don't ya :wink:
Reply 5
Original post by Alex347_
Wow, you seem fond of Britain don't ya :wink:

i've had really really bad experiences with them.
and these are premier institutions.
if i forwarded the email correspondences i had with them, to you,
you'll be shocked.

if i could describe these individuals then the following will be apt.
lazy, slow to react, uncoordinated, no sense of urgency, incompetent.

i am sorry if I've hurt your feelings.
you can, like so many before you, complain to the moderators.
they'll be quick to warn and then subsequently ban me.

but the imbeciles who talk ill about race, religion, sex and so on, continues to spew their vile verbal diarrhea without any action on the part of the moderators.
talk about paradoxes :eek:

but like what a few forum members told me via private message.
'oh don't you worry about the mods. they only have power in the virtual world. outside of it, they're nothing'
i've had really really bad experiences with them.
and these are premier institutions.
if i forwarded the email correspondences i had with them, to you,
you'll be shocked.

if i could describe these individuals then the following will be apt.
lazy, slow to react, uncoordinated, no sense of urgency, incompetent.

i am sorry if I've hurt your feelings.
you can, like so many before you, complain to the moderators.
they'll be quick to warn and then subsequently ban me.

but the imbeciles who talk ill about race, religion, sex and so on, continues to spew their vile verbal diarrhea without any action on the part of the moderators.
talk about paradoxes :eek:

but like what a few forum members told me via private message.
'oh don't you worry about the mods. they only have power in the virtual world. outside of it, they're nothing'

Them? I said Britain, I didn't say you seemed to have a bad opinion of British people, but obviously you do. I noticed you said you're from the U.S. I'm not sure that nation is known for its stellar administration, co-ordination and definitely not for being active, rather than lazy. You seem very immature and arrogant, which really, is very typical... Oh and ignorant.

Also I'm not some stuffy nerd. I'm not exactly going to go to the e-police and tell on you. Again, immature.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Alex347_

Also I'm not some stuffy nerd. I'm not exactly going to go to the e-police and tell on you. Again, immature.

that's a nice departure from the norm :tongue:
that's a nice departure from the norm :tongue:

It's also a nice departure from the norm that you didn't respond with swearing and insults. Nice to exchange differences in opinion with you. Good day.
Reply 9

i wish you luck.

I'm from Kenya. I'm expecting my Physics re-mark to arrive some time in the first week of September. My dad is good friends with one of the tenured professors at Imperial, so hopefully when my re-mark arrives my dad will contact him and be able to work something out.

I don't know whether all British are slow but the examiners sure are. I mean how long does it take 1 Physics paper??? It's been 16 days since I sent it!!!
I'm from Kenya. I'm expecting my Physics re-mark to arrive some time in the first week of September. My dad is good friends with one of the tenured professors at Imperial, so hopefully when my re-mark arrives my dad will contact him and be able to work something out.

I don't know whether all British are slow but the examiners sure are. I mean how long does it take 1 Physics paper??? It's been 16 days since I sent it!!!

but isn't the cut-off date for uni places, August 31st?
you mean you can get in because of connections?
Reply 11
but isn't the cut-off date for uni places, August 31st?
you mean you can get in because of connections?

Yes, the official cut off date is 31st but I'm hoping that when my re-mark arrives and if my grade goes up to an A, they take into account the fact that I couldn't get a priority re-mark - with the same exam board that would've screwed me over in the first place - and allow me in anyway (for entry this October). So it's like a double whammy for me.

Yeah and if the admissions office tell me to defer entry till next year - that's what they told me if my re-mark arrives after 31st and my grade goes up - I'm hoping that my dad's friend can get them to let me in this year.

Basically, what I'm getting at is that I would find it utterly unfair to be punished for the incompetence of the exam board, when there was nothing I could've done to prevent it.
CIE have said they 'process enquiries about results in the order they receive them' - so basically there's no way to speed up the process. Imperial have not bothered replying to my email. So things are looking bleak.

Pick up the god damn phone
Basically, what I'm getting at is that I would find it utterly unfair to be punished for the incompetence of the exam board, when there was nothing I could've done to prevent it.

i'm with CIE too and I can tell you their staff is useless.
They're so cosy in Southeast Asia, earning significantly more than what others would, had they stayed back in the UK, they live in apartments whose rent is paid for, they're given petrol money for their car, their children school fees in international schools in Asia is paid for (this can run into more than what you pay at a UK uni per year) and given all these perks (expat package), you would think they would do the basic, decent thing which is to work properly?

no way! they're simply useless.
Reply 14
i'm with CIE too and I can tell you their staff is useless.
They're so cosy in Southeast Asia, earning significantly more than what others would, had they stayed back in the UK, they live in apartments whose rent is paid for, they're given petrol money for their car, their children school fees in international schools in Asia is paid for (this can run into more than what you pay at a UK uni per year) and given all these perks (expat package), you would think they would do the basic, decent thing which is to work properly?

no way! they're simply useless.

And they call themselves a 'not for profit' organization. SMH
And they call themselves a 'not for profit' organization. SMH

i think they thought they were efficient whilst in the UK.
but they thought wrong. I wonder if they know how people outside of UK viewed them.
I seriously wonder.

I hope things turn out well for you.
but lets say if things don't go as planned, what would you do?
take a gap year? I know the British universities are supportive of gap years :confused:
what would you do during your gap year?
Being in New Zealand, I have no choice but to sit IGCSE and A-level with CIE. Sometimes I wish I can take Edexel, OCR, AQA exams instead like normal UK people ._.
We don't even get UMS for any exams. The only good thing about CIE is that we can take resits, but top uni's will look down on us if we do. :frown:
Reply 17
i think they thought they were efficient whilst in the UK.
but they thought wrong. I wonder if they know how people outside of UK viewed them.
I seriously wonder.

I hope things turn out well for you.
but lets say if things don't go as planned, what would you do?
take a gap year? I know the British universities are supportive of gap years :confused:
what would you do during your gap year?

If I get my 'A' grade in Physics but I don't get into Imperial this October, I'll take deferred entry for October 2015. In the meantime, I'll become a hacker/programmer, familiarise myself with some underworld hacking groups and try and find that SOB examiner who messed me up in the first place - proabably shouldn't be saying this on the internet. Yeah, and I'll probably get a computing-related apprenticeship with some company.

If I don't get my 'A' grade by the end of next week I'll probably go to University of Manchester for entry this September.
If I don't get my 'A' grade by the end of next week I'll probably go to University of Manchester for entry this September.

what fears do you have about the UK?
what worries you the most about UK?
the gangs, the Asians who rape young girls, knife crimes?
Reply 19
the Asians who rape young girls

I've never heard of that one. Don't know much about the UK so I couldn't really say what worries me or not.

Quick Reply

Latest