The Student Room Group

Subaru Impreza STI vs BMW 335d

Assuming both were remapped to 360 bhp who would win each challenge?

1) Standing 0-60
2) 60-120
3) 120-155
4) Top Gear Track

All challenges in the dry, as I suspect the scooby would take it in the wet due to 4wd
Depends a lot on the quality of the remap.

While it is possible to remap a WRX STI to 400PS, it won't be a drivable or usable car unless significant amount of components are replaced too.

Doing it to a purely stock engine will only mean one thing, turbo lag.

335d vs STI, the Subaru will thrash that BMW for one simple reason 500kg lighter at bare minimum.
Reply 2
Original post by Alfissti
Depends a lot on the quality of the remap.

While it is possible to remap a WRX STI to 400PS, it won't be a drivable or usable car unless significant amount of components are replaced too.

Doing it to a purely stock engine will only mean one thing, turbo lag.

335d vs STI, the Subaru will thrash that BMW for one simple reason 500kg lighter at bare minimum.

Didn't realise there was a huge weight difference

I think 335d would be quicker midrange due to its low down torque, and due to the longer gearing, quicker to hit 170 mph (if delimited)
Original post by FuelBowser
Didn't realise there was a huge weight difference

I think 335d would be quicker midrange due to its low down torque, and due to the longer gearing, quicker to hit 170 mph (if delimited)

I used to briefly play with WRX STIs while there is no doubt that I'd take the BMW as a car to go about in, the WRX is generally a quicker car especially if you tune it.

The one I played with had nearly £25k spent on it and had a 370bhp at wheel, E90 M3s were an easy kill for it as were most cars up to 3.0l, handling of it isn't everything and the AWD on it can be quite tricky for a lot of drivers as it does suffer from lift-off oversteer which can be scary for the uninitiated.

Finally got tired of it and sold it to someone who spent a further £25k on it.
My mate went from a Litchfield Type 20 Impreza running 340bhp, to a BMW 335D which he then map'd to 360/500.

Even un-map'd, the Beemer destroyed another friends 400bhp Scooby in a drag-race from 30-150 on the German autobahn. However, once we got to the mountain passes the Scooby left the BMW for dead, massively so. AWD with AST coilovers, RE070 tyres, uprated ARB's, racing geometry and massive bhp was too much for the heavy saloon to challenge.

Once map'd, the 335D can do 30-70 faster than the old V10 M5 in under 3s. From 0 however, as long as a Scooby stays on boost and uses its AWD advantage, it'll beat the Beemer. Drop off boost and the drag of the AWD drivetrain will be destroyed by the monumentous torque of the oil burner, as long as the rear tyres don't slip.

During the 5 day trip to Stelvio the 335D managed to average 45mpg, including the hooning up and down the mountain roads. The Scoob delivered just 15 average, seeing 24 on the motorways, and as low as 8 on the twisties :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending