The Student Room Group

American Interested in UK Uni

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ak2015
Hello everyone! I'm an American student and I'm applying to Oxford University - New College for History and Economics this year. Is it likely that I will receive an offer for an interview from Oxford in December with these Advanced Placement and SAT grades? I am also applying to LSE, UCL, Durham, and Edinburgh for Mathematics and Economics. How likely is it that I will be accepted to them?

SAT Reasoning Test:

700 Mathematics
740 Critical Reading
760 Writing
2200 Total

SAT Subject Test:
740 Mathematics Level II
740 United States History

Advanced Placement:
AP World History - 5
AP United States History - 5
AP Calculus BC - 5
AP French Language and Culture - 5
AP European History - predicted 5
AP Statistics - predicted 5
AP Macroeconomics and Microeconomics - predicted 5
Multivariable Calculus (not Advanced Placement, but is a college level class)

IMO your scores are pretty good. Have you looked at the entry requirements for any of them?
Oxford- http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/international-students/international-qualifications
LSE- http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/informationForInternationalStudents/countryRegion/northAmerica/USA/entryRequirements.aspx
UCL- http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/international/countries/north-america/united-states
Durham- https://www.dur.ac.uk/international/countryinfo/?cid=165#ereq
Edinburgh- http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/humanities-soc-sci/undergraduate-admissions/international-eu/int-entry-requirements/usa/us-qualifications
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ak2015
Hello everyone! I'm an American student and I'm applying to Oxford University - New College for History and Economics this year. Is it likely that I will receive an offer for an interview from Oxford in December with these Advanced Placement and SAT grades? I am also applying to LSE, UCL, Durham, and Edinburgh for Mathematics and Economics. How likely is it that I will be accepted to them?

SAT Reasoning Test:

700 Mathematics
740 Critical Reading
760 Writing
2200 Total

SAT Subject Test:
740 Mathematics Level II

Advanced Placement:
AP World History - 5
AP Calculus BC - 5

I think you have a really good shot!

I took MV calc as a senior too! :smile:
I'm actually not sure if they'll accept that as a qualification since there's no AP exam for it, but I wrote about it briefly in my personal statement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's Dumfries, a town that's about an hour and a half away from Glasgow and an hour or so from Carlisle. There's about a hundred students in each year. There's another couple hundred at the UWS and college next door. It's isn't an 'affiliated course', it's a Glasgow uni Bsc (hons) degree.

It's not for everyone. The nightlife is pretty poor if you're looking for clubs, but there's plenty of pubs. Obviously there isn't as much to do as you're not in the city.

The flip side is that class sizes, especially on env stewardship are small, there's about 20 people on the course in my year, which means you get to know the lecturers really well which makes getting feedback easy. If you're into the outdoors it's hard to beat, though.
Original post by D_ecrivaine
It was recommended that I try for a Scottish university because I would have a greater chance of being accepted as a year 2, which is pretty important to me. Are any of those school 4 year schools?
Oh no, no spring break! Does school get out in mid June then, like here?
EDIT: I just realized that even if I got into 2nd year of a Scottish uni I'd still have 3 years to complete and end up graduating in 5 years. And starting in year 1 at an English uni would also put me at graduating in 5 years. So maybe it doesn't matter..

University terms finish in June/July, depending on the university. Hwever here may be a week before the official end of term when exams are over and no work is done. Also I forgot that sometimes there are "reading weeks" when students can go home. Science courses are less likely to have reading weeks.

Exeter has quite a few international students. It has reasonably expensive university accommodation but still very much cheaper than London. It's a small city, not far from the coast so in summer it's possible to spend weekends on the beach. The university is a bit out of the centre and the accommodation mainly around the (green) campus. It may have a bit of a reputation for being a rich kids hangout but has nothing on Durham where everyone has an estate (joke but not entirely....it's full of Oxford and Cambridge rejects, they even make t shirts saying that)

York has a lovely lake on campus bt the ducks make a mess of the footpaths. Bristol thinks the world of itself, no longer justified..

You need to contact university admission departments and ask about your own position, All universities are keen to get the international fees so you may find admission easier than for uk students. Do not overlook living costs, they vary a lot and over 4 years it'll mount up. Also I have no idea about VISAs to work here but you need to find out (ask the university) if considering somewhere that has placement years..

Original post by Sarao
It's the Police Service NI and yes people in England tend to

I really doubt this, I had no idea what it was.
Original post by parentlurker

Just because you don't know doesn't mean other people don't, considering the troubles and media coverage of the fighting in NI, most people on the main land know what the police here are called, please do not infer that I am a liar when I'm telling the truth.
And it was kind of hard for them not to know when the jacket read 'Police Service Northern Ireland Cadet' in bold letters
Original post by Sarao
Just because you don't know doesn't mean other people don't, considering the troubles and media coverage of the fighting in NI, most people on the main land know what the police here are called, please do not infer that I am a liar when I'm telling the truth.
And it was kind of hard for them not to know when the jacket read 'Police Service Northern Ireland Cadet' in bold letters

You aren't being called a liar, you are being told that your assumption that "people in England tend to" is just that - an assumption. Get over the juvenile idea that you are the centre of the universe and everyone must know/care about things that interest you.
You aren't being called a liar, you are being told that your assumption that "people in England tend to" is just that - an assumption. Get over the juvenile idea that you are the centre of the universe and everyone must know/care about things that interest you.

Actually the fact is your assumption (yes it's just an assumption) that no one in England knows what the Police Service Northern Ireland is just ignorance considering the extensive UK news coverage of the troubles, peace process and continuing divide on Northern Ireland.

You were inferring I am a liar by the way you tried to contradict my anecdote, which was in fact a true anecdotal statement.

I assure you that your last statement isn't true at all, I do not see myself as the centre of the universe, if I did I wouldn't be on the career path I'm in as I doubt they are qualities of a teacher.

I posted on this thread to give information about a university and help the OP and I discussed the social circumstances of Northern Ireland with another poster. I never once stated that anyone should take interest in nor care about what I was saying. Furthermore I never mentioned any of my interests either.

Please take your argumentative attitude and superiority complex (that because you don't know something no one else does either) elsewhere and leave this thread for the OP to receive help and advice and for people to give help and advice to the OP.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sarao

I posted on this thread to give information about a university and help the OP and I discussed the social circumstances of Northern Ireland with another poster.

Please take your argumentative attitude and superiority complex (that because you don't know something no one else does either) elsewhere and leave this thread for the OP to receive help and advice and for people to give help and advice to the OP.

You've been told twice now that you are wrong in your assumption but you still insist you must be right and everyone else must be wrong, confirming my statement about your attitude. And you aren't helping the OP. End of discussion.
You've been told twice now that you are wrong in your assumption but you still insist you must be right and everyone else must be wrong, confirming my statement about your attitude. And you aren't helping the OP. End of discussion.

I never once said every single person on the main land knows, which would be wrong, I said a lot of people tend to which is not wrong.
Honestly your statement is more true to yourself than me. Eventhough I stated about the media coverage you wrongly insist that not one person on the mainland knows what the police service in Northern Ireland is.
Further more if you read my posts on the first few pages about universities and international applications and links to support websites, you'll see I was trying to help the OP.
Reply 189
Original post by Sarao
Actually the fact is your assumption (yes it's just an assumption) that no one in England knows what the Police Service Northern Ireland is just ignorance considering the extensive UK news coverage of the troubles, peace process and continuing divide on Northern Ireland.

Yet the PSNI was formed after The Troubles and after the 1998 agreement, so I disagree. I do know about the PSNI, but that's because I've read about the conflict. Most mainlanders would be clueless as to what is it. Obviously if you say 'Police Service Northern Ireland' people will understand, but not necessarily be aware, but outside the politically-orientated I don't think many would recognise the acronym. In fact, I'd say the Met is the only police force in the UK which is easily understood in its shortened form.
Original post by Gales
Yet the PSNI was formed after The Troubles and after the 1998 agreement, so I disagree. I do know about the PSNI, but that's because I've read about the conflict. Most mainlanders would be clueless as to what is it. Obviously if you say 'Police Service Northern Ireland' people will understand, but not necessarily be aware, but outside the politically-orientated I don't think many would recognise the acronym. In fact, I'd say the Met is the only police force in the UK which is easily understood in its shortened form.

Yeah I know that I was just pointing out that people are aware because of the troubles aftermath, peace process about the police service.
I was just stating that I was discriminated against in England for having a hoodie on that said 'police service Northern Ireland cadet' across the front, and that person who doesn't even know me inferred that I was lying when I wasn't and said that no one on the main land knows about there being a police service in Northern Ireland, which clearly can't be true
Original post by Sarao
Yeah I know that I was just pointing out that people are aware because of the troubles aftermath, peace process about the police service.
I was just stating that I was discriminated against in England for having a hoodie on that said 'police service Northern Ireland cadet' across the front, and that person who doesn't even know me inferred that I was lying when I wasn't and said that no one on the main land knows about there being a police service in Northern Ireland, which clearly can't be true

*implied
Original post by Viceroy
*implied

Inferred*
They used things I had said (incorrectly) to come to the conclusion
Original post by pjm600
It's Dumfries, a town that's about an hour and a half away from Glasgow and an hour or so from Carlisle. There's about a hundred students in each year. There's another couple hundred at the UWS and college next door. It's isn't an 'affiliated course', it's a Glasgow uni Bsc (hons) degree.

It's not for everyone. The nightlife is pretty poor if you're looking for clubs, but there's plenty of pubs. Obviously there isn't as much to do as you're not in the city.

The flip side is that class sizes, especially on env stewardship are small, there's about 20 people on the course in my year, which means you get to know the lecturers really well which makes getting feedback easy. If you're into the outdoors it's hard to beat, though.

I suppose just me personally, I like the idea of a smaller school but get nervous about anything under 5,000. Meeting new people everyday would be cool. It would be nice if the town was somewhat large though.
In general though I'm feeling a little iffy about Scottish schools because I would need to get accepted to year 2. I might just apply to Aberdeen (because it's the ideal size and it's less expensive), we'll see. Maybe I'll send Edinburgh and Aberdeen another email summarizing my academics to date and see what they think of my chances.
(edited 9 years ago)
University terms finish in June/July, depending on the university. Hwever here may be a week before the official end of term when exams are over and no work is done. Also I forgot that sometimes there are "reading weeks" when students can go home. Science courses are less likely to have reading weeks.

Exeter has quite a few international students. It has reasonably expensive university accommodation but still very much cheaper than London. It's a small city, not far from the coast so in summer it's possible to spend weekends on the beach. The university is a bit out of the centre and the accommodation mainly around the (green) campus. It may have a bit of a reputation for being a rich kids hangout but has nothing on Durham where everyone has an estate (joke but not entirely....it's full of Oxford and Cambridge rejects, they even make t shirts saying that)

York has a lovely lake on campus bt the ducks make a mess of the footpaths. Bristol thinks the world of itself, no longer justified..

You need to contact university admission departments and ask about your own position, All universities are keen to get the international fees so you may find admission easier than for uk students. Do not overlook living costs, they vary a lot and over 4 years it'll mount up. Also I have no idea about VISAs to work here but you need to find out (ask the university) if considering somewhere that has placement years..

Okay, I get it. Sounds like the year might be a little longer than for US schools, that is unless winter break is longer (doubtful as our breaks are generally 3 weeks-1 month).
I'm going to look into Exeter more, along with Leeds and Nottingham. I'm really liking York. Might look into Birmingham but the only course they have I'm interested in I'm not sure I'd want to take.
I really don't want to pay more than $30,000 per year, this is part of why Aberdeen was so appealing.
Okay, I get it. Sounds like the year might be a little longer than for US schools, that is unless winter break is longer (doubtful as our breaks are generally 3 weeks-1 month).
I'm going to look into Exeter more, along with Leeds and Nottingham. I'm really liking York. Might look into Birmingham but the only course they have I'm interested in I'm not sure I'd want to take.
I really don't want to pay more than $30,000 per year, this is part of why Aberdeen was so appealing.

Breaks wise, usually you will get around a month off at Christmas. We don't have "spring break" but we have time off at Easter which is two or three weeks depending on the uni. Courses don't usually start until late September or even October after finishing in June.
Original post by Rosey203
Breaks wise, usually you will get around a month off at Christmas. We don't have "spring break" but we have time off at Easter which is two or three weeks depending on the uni. Courses don't usually start until late September or even October after finishing in June.

Ohhh I see. Easter is maybe more important there. It probably all evens out then... Thanks for the clarification :smile:
Original post by ak2015

SAT Reasoning Test:

700 Mathematics
740 Critical Reading
760 Writing
2200 Total

SAT Subject Test:
740 Mathematics Level II

Advanced Placement:
AP World History - 5
AP Calculus BC - 5

I think your chances of getting an interview at Oxford are pretty good. Since you have gotten all 5s in AP and your SAT and SAT II scores are good. You are basically guaranteed to get into UCL, Durham and Edinburgh. LSE is a bit more up in the air if you are applying for Econ, you might have a shot.

Easter isn't quite like American spring break either as students don't traditionally head off somewhere to get drunk (they do that all year :smile: ). York and Exeter are smaller and more campus type universities.

Something else you need to be prepared for - we don't really have dorms here, students don't usually share rooms although they often share flats or houses.

Exeter has some web pages for internationals http://www.exeter.ac.uk/international/students/yourcountry/northandcentralamerica/usa/ as does York http://www.york.ac.uk/study/international/ I'd regard either as safer places to live than Leeds or Nottingham. Birmingham has pretty expensive accommodation first year - campus type but one stop from the centre of a major city (it has it's own train station) and of course Birmingham has an international airport.

Haven't ever been to Aberdeen university, can't say anything useful about that.
Easter isn't quite like American spring break either as students don't traditionally head off somewhere to get drunk (they do that all year :smile: ). York and Exeter are smaller and more campus type universities.

Something else you need to be prepared for - we don't really have dorms here, students don't usually share rooms although they often share flats or houses.

Exeter has some web pages for internationals http://www.exeter.ac.uk/international/students/yourcountry/northandcentralamerica/usa/ as does York http://www.york.ac.uk/study/international/ I'd regard either as safer places to live than Leeds or Nottingham. Birmingham has pretty expensive accommodation first year - campus type but one stop from the centre of a major city (it has it's own train station) and of course Birmingham has an international airport.

Haven't ever been to Aberdeen university, can't say anything useful about that.

Hahaha. It'll be interesting to see (if I come!) how things are different there...
Thanks for the links. I emailed all five of those schools and gave a summary of my high school and college academics, still waiting for a reply. Actually still waiting from a second reply from Aberdeen as of the 1st, but aren't schools pretty busy with admissions for entering in the middle of this year?
Oh, well I don't mind so much about dorms. Lived in a dorm and had a roommate my first term of school- oh gosh I hated it. No privacy whatsoever. I'd be happy alone, or even with a housemate.
Exeter seems a bit expensive, though.. I thought I saw something on their website that said housing per yer was $9000 :eek:
I heard the issue with Aberdeen is while the town is fairly large it's a couple hours away from anything.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending