The Student Room Group

Macbook Air or Pro

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MorganA07
I would definitely go with a Pro as you said you are doing art and design which'll include some heavy disk use. I have a 13'' Macbook pro which is useful for doing my music coursework on it (plus every day stuff).

Also I have one with a disk-drive because I still play DVD's etc and have found it useful to just put the disk in. Also have a slot where I can put the mac on my 32'' TV so if I need the bigger screen I can. (You'll have to buy an attachment from the Apple store to enable you to do this though)

The retina Pro has a HDMI port so there's no need for an adapter on it.
Original post by Graham 14
After doing much searching, I'm edging towards a macbook air as it's portable, nice design, fast processor, i'm not gonna really need a MBP, as i'm a more casual user for internet, downloading, ms office, i'm not really into photoshop or any program that is work intensive, although i heard about a new MBA for next year, so i'm gonna wait and see, i'm looking at maybe buying from refurbished apple store

So you're ignoring the majority of us saying get the Retina Pro :tongue:

If you do get the air make sure you add 8GB of RAM when ordering. 4GB is not enough.
Original post by Camoxide
The retina Pro has a HDMI port so there's no need for an adapter on it.

Oh yes I forgot about the Retina one...However they also do not come with a CD drive (hence why I got the other one)
Never seen the point of air if honest.
I currently have and use a macbook pro, I take it to sixth-form everyday to write essays on etc, and it's not too heavy in my bag, I hardly notice it to be honest. Although I now want the macbook air, I just enjoy their slim features more and feel like they look nicer. Both will suit your needs fine, as far as I'm aware the Pro is faster I believe (could be wrong, haven't looked in a while!) but they'll both be suitable.

I picked the Pro when I first got it because I thought it looked nicer than the air.
Original post by MorganA07
Oh yes I forgot about the Retina one...However they also do not come with a CD drive (hence why I got the other one)
Never seen the point of air if honest.

You can buy USB DVD drives, just for future reference :fyi:
Original post by Buxtonwater
I currently have and use a macbook pro, I take it to sixth-form everyday to write essays on etc, and it's not too heavy in my bag, I hardly notice it to be honest. Although I now want the macbook air, I just enjoy their slim features more and feel like they look nicer. Both will suit your needs fine, as far as I'm aware the Pro is faster I believe (could be wrong, haven't looked in a while!) but they'll both be suitable.

I picked the Pro when I first got it because I thought it looked nicer than the air.

The Macbook air has a mediocre screen for it's relatively high end price. I've nearly bought it on several occasions. The Pro Retina on the other hand is pretty good value for money, but make no mistake the Pro is a desktop repalcement. The Air is almost awesome, but that crappy screen is laughable. Why would you spent £900+ on a TN panel with 720P resolution. It's not 2012 and if you want a computer for say 3-5 years longevity, you really are shooting yourself in the foot.

Overall, spec an air/pro vs a Windows/Ultrabook and you do realise that equivalent ultrabooks cost significantly more.

Btw i recently bought a Yoga 2 13 -- it's not my main computer so i wanted somethign CHEAP but with 1080p IPS touchscreen, i5, 256gb SSD storage and portable-- these specs will set you back £800+ which is way over my budget. So i bought an i5 with 500gb HDD, but I can add my own 256gb SSD, clone the hard drive over then boot everything from that. That frees up my hard drive for videos and photos only. In total i have 756gb in a thin laptop. Also bought from ebay US and manufacturer refurbished with 1 year warranty. It works out very high spec for a secondary computer and only £600. Win for me :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 46
I would describe my needs as being casual (Internet, media, micro office,etc) so would a macbook air with 4gb ram being enough for my needs or upgrade to 8gb.
Original post by Graham 14
I would describe my needs as being casual (Internet, media, micro office,etc) so would a macbook air with 4gb ram being enough for my needs or upgrade to 8gb.

4gb is enough. The macbook air is great for the casual user. All round excellent, minus the below average screen by today's standards. I never bought one for that reason. It's not 2012
Reply 48
Thanks for all advice everyone, I've decided to get a...

13inch Macbook Air

256GB - large storage space for media
4GB - i'm a casual user, media, internet, microsoft office
Thin and Light - Portable to take in and around uni
Mac OS X Mavericks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending