The Student Room Group

UK Parliamentarian attacked

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Malorys ballsack
He should be prosecuted for hate speech. Israel free zone? What did he expect the ****ing idiot he would have got the same thing had he said it were a Christian or Muslim free zone.

Last I heard Israel was a country not a religion. :confused:
Original post by JC.
Last I heard Israel was a country not a religion. :confused:

Do you know anything about the connection between Muslims and anti-Semitism?
Reply 42

If it helps, I've heard of the deadly link between Europeans and "anti-Semitism"...
Reply 43

Yeah... they both give as good as they get.
Original post by thunder_chunky
I don't condone the attack, but I have zero sympathy. George Galloway is a hypocrite, a coward, a loudmouth, a (borderline) anti-Semite, a man who shakes the hands of murderous dictators, and who retweets a tribute to Che Guevara who was a mas murdering piece of crap. The guy is a massive cock.

Long live Che.

On another note OP, it's astonishing to note how the British government allows its citizens to go and join the Israeli army (srsly look it up- they have a foreign fighters division) when this is quite clearly illegal under British law.
I condemn this thuggish act which makes a mockery of democracy.

Galloway, I mean.
Original post by Inzamam99
On another note OP, it's astonishing to note how the British government allows its citizens to go and join the Israeli army (srsly look it up- they have a foreign fighters division) when this is quite clearly illegal under British law.

Whilst it is astonishing it is not, in fact, illegal.
Original post by miscounted_time
I think it would have been more than a punch if he said "Muslim free zone". The riots would still be going on now

Posted from TSR Mobile

Remind me the last time Muslims rioted in the UK? Also, a closer equivalent would be calling for a boycott of a country run by fundamentalist Muslims intent on imperialism and violence like, say, Iraq or Syria under ISIS.
Original post by UniOfLife
Whilst it is astonishing it is not, in fact, illegal.

Lol we can't even convict people for going to Syria and this guy thinks joining the Israeli army is illegal.

Original post by Green_Pink
Remind me the last time Muslims rioted in the UK? Also, a closer equivalent would be calling for a boycott of a country run by fundamentalist Muslims intent on imperialism and violence like, say, Iraq or Syria under ISIS.

Almost rioted when someone drew a cartoon.
Lol we can't even convict people for going to Syria and this guy thinks joining the Israeli army is illegal.

Almost rioted when someone drew a cartoon.

Any evidence to back that up? They were understandably upset considering it was a deliberate and pointless attempt to cause trouble but nothing I saw even approached rioting.
Any evidence to back that up? They were understandably upset considering it was a deliberate and pointless attempt to cause trouble but nothing I saw even approached rioting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jyllands-Posten_Muhammad_cartoons_controversy

"Muslim groups in Denmark complained, and the issue eventually led to protests around the world, including violent demonstrations and riots in some Muslim countries."

Not in the UK but point still stands, similar incidents have happened in the UK over cartoons.
Original post by tsr1269
It's just a flipping of the coin from Galloway's supposedly "anti-Semitic" remarks, which the media reported, to this "religiously aggravated offence" which one supposes was in response to those remarks.

I don't know why you are querying the terms that I have used...

His remarks have been investigated the same way an MP would be investigated for declaring a town a "Pakistani-free zone"; i.e. there is no express reference to religion or ethnicity (just nationality), but it would still be investigated by the police.

I don't understand why this is being investigated as a "religiously aggravated offence", but then I am not privy to the motivations of the police.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jyllands-Posten_Muhammad_cartoons_controversy

"Muslim groups in Denmark complained, and the issue eventually led to protests around the world, including violent demonstrations and riots in some Muslim countries."

Not in the UK but point still stands, similar incidents have happened in the UK over cartoons.

No, the rioting according to that was in Benghazi which is rather different. There are no examples of western Muslisms rioting in response to Islamaphobia. So to suggest they would do so in the event of an MP calling for a fundamentalist Islamic State to be boycotted is completely disingenuous and in my opinion pretty offensive when they have proven to be non-violent regardless of provocation.
No, the rioting according to that was in Benghazi which is rather different. There are no examples of western Muslisms rioting in response to Islamaphobia. So to suggest they would do so in the event of an MP calling for a fundamentalist Islamic State to be boycotted is completely disingenuous and in my opinion pretty offensive when they have proven to be non-violent regardless of provocation.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/liberaldemocrats/10588267/Lib-Dem-candidate-receives-death-threats-for-tweeting-Prophet-Mohammed-cartoon.html
Original post by Person1001
Galloway is openly against the state of Israel. That's a perfectly legitimate stance to have. I don't see what problem the people who are marking Galloway as "racist" have?

Again, would you find it acceptable if a hypothetical UKIP MP declared a town in the Home Counties a "Pakistan-free zone"? There would be absolute uproar, and would lead to the British-Pakistani community to feel marginalised.
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't agree. I'd have happily beat the living daylights out of Adolf.

Rather than have him dealt with in a just manner by the government? Personally I'm not a fan of vigilante justice.
Reply 56
Original post by Lady Comstock
His remarks have been investigated the same way an MP would be investigated for declaring a town a "Pakistani-free zone"; i.e. there is no express reference to religion or ethnicity (just nationality), but it would still be investigated by the police.

I don't understand why this is being investigated as a "religiously aggravated offence", but then I am not privy to the motivations of the police.

Probably because the perpetrator demonstrated hostility towards Galloway because he belonged to or the perpetrator believed that Galloway belonged to a particular group.

2 idiots on Twitter. You reckon that's enough to characterise 5% of the UK as violent rioters?
Reply 58
Original post by Lady Comstock
Again, would you find it acceptable if a hypothetical UKIP MP declared a town in the Home Counties a "Pakistan-free zone"? There would be absolute uproar, and would lead to the British-Pakistani community to feel marginalised.

You are conflating ethnicity with nationality.
Original post by tsr1269
You are conflating ethnicity with nationality.

How so? Neither Pakistani nor Israeli are ethnicities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending