The Student Room Group

Dundee Medical School Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by marczello
They require on interview education certificates. What specifically do they want? From each year? Or just some final from from my GSCE equivalent???

I'm Scottish (and in a gap year) so I have photocopied the certificate I received last year which lists all my Advanced Highers, Highers and Standard Grades - basically all my qualifications achieved by the end of final year at school.
Hi guys,
Just got into this thread today! I'm an international student doing A-levels in England, UKCAT 660. Got an interview this friday morning (Dec 12th)! Feeling nervous, just had the inform letter last week so definitely not fully prepared :frown:
Anyone who has been back from their interview and wants to share the experience?
I've done the interview on the 1st December, I'm not allowed to tell you any content but they really aren't as bad as you think they will be. Once you've got to interview your academics aren't considered any further. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MaiHuong
Hi guys,
Just got into this thread today! I'm an international student doing A-levels in England, UKCAT 660. Got an interview this friday morning (Dec 12th)! Feeling nervous, just had the inform letter last week so definitely not fully prepared :frown:
Anyone who has been back from their interview and wants to share the experience?

Hey don't worry about it too much! I won't go in to specifics about stations (was instructed specifically not to) but I can honestly say it was the fastest 70 mins of my life!! I'll list a few of the main points i picked up on:

Don't worry if they're marking someone else's while you start up your answer, I know this can be offputting as you are trying to make eye contact etc but just keep going as they are still listening!

Not all of the stations are conducted by consultants, a few are done by medical students and stuff and everyone is really friendly!

Try not to spend too much time reading the card as it eats into your time (I made this mistake:frown:)

Try and arrive early as the ID checks and stuff take quite a bit of time

At some stations they might give you a copy of your own personal statement while they ask questions however I have a feeling this is partly to test how well you know it depending on how often you look down :s-smilie:

Good luck!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Tim Brow
I've done the interview on the 1st December, I'm not allowed to tell you any content but they really aren't as bad as you think they will be. Once you've got to interview your academics aren't considered any further. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by fluffy123
Hey don't worry about it too much! I won't go in to specifics about stations (was instructed specifically not to) but I can honestly say it was the fastest 70 mins of my life!! I'll list a few of the main points i picked up on:

Don't worry if they're marking someone else's while you start up your answer, I know this can be offputting as you are trying to make eye contact etc but just keep going as they are still listening!

Not all of the stations are conducted by consultants, a few are done by medical students and stuff and everyone is really friendly!

Try not to spend too much time reading the card as it eats into your time (I made this mistake:frown:)

At some stations they might give you a copy of your own personal statement while they ask questions however I have a feeling this is partly to test how well you know it depending on how often you look down :s-smilie:

Good luck!

Hi guys!!! Thanks so much, wow, really thank you, I feel much better now!!!! Wonderful advices :smile:
Every posts I've read about Dundee's interview have been telling that it's not too bad, so I guess I will be fine as well :smile:
Does anyone know when will the school send out offers, after interview? The website says March I think?
Hi guys!!! Thanks so much, wow, really thank you, I feel much better now!!!! Wonderful advices :smile:
Every posts I've read about Dundee's interview have been telling that it's not too bad, so I guess I will be fine as well :smile:
Does anyone know when will the school send out offers, after interview? The website says March I think?

Yep I was told early March! :smile:
Reply 186
Original post by fluffy123

Good luck!

Thanks, got my interview on Friday so useful to know.

I appreciate that you're bound by confidentiality but what do you mean by "the card" when you say don't spend too long reading it? Obv you can't talk about what's on it specifically but do you get cards explaining what each station is testing for before going in or something?
Original post by am1992
Thanks, got my interview on Friday so useful to know.

I appreciate that you're bound by confidentiality but what do you mean by "the card" when you say don't spend too long reading it? Obv you can't talk about what's on it specifically but do you get cards explaining what each station is testing for before going in or something?

Yeah basically what happens is at the station there's a card on the table explaining what to do eg. An ethical question or a Roleplay scenario :tongue: 7 mins is the total time to get to the station, read the card and give your answer!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good luck to everyone with interviews. Could anyone tell me whether Dundee do dissection or prossection. Also, could anyone give information on dundee's spiral structured course.
Reply 189
Hi guys,

Hey, I am international and I am having the interview this Friday morning as well! What time is your interview? Where are you from, if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 190
Original post by FlareBlitz96
Good luck to everyone with interviews. Could anyone tell me whether Dundee do dissection or prossection. Also, could anyone give information on dundee's spiral structured course.

Hey there! I'll talk about the dissection at Dundee. All the information you need about the course is on the website.

So here at Dundee we are very lucky! We are one of the only medical schools to use full body dissection. Which is very beneficial. In addition to this, Dundee is the only medical school in the uk to use Thiel Cadavers. Without sounding insensitive, this allows the cadavers to remain more life like, allowing movement of the limbs, muscles and tendons. This also allows you to practice intubation on the cadavers as well as fine surgical skills - which you can not do as well on formaline cadavers (these are the cadavers used at every other medical school in the uk)

The anatomy teaching at Dundee is renowned and the "centre of anatomy and human identification" have won a great deal of prizes for their work.

Currently I have 3 hours every two weeks - however this increases and decreases with what body system you are studying (the dentists have 6 hours every week I believe). You are in groups of 3 or 4 and have a demonstrator that walks round to help you.
You also have an online computer that directs you through the dissection.

Anatomy teaching begins really early on in dundee. Plus, amongst your group you are given a skeleton! ( it's plastic)
Original post by .S.K.T.
Hey there! I'll talk about the dissection at Dundee. All the information you need about the course is on the website.

So here at Dundee we are very lucky! We are one of the only medical schools to use full body dissection. Which is very beneficial. In addition to this, Dundee is the only medical school in the uk to use Thiel Cadavers. Without sounding insensitive, this allows the cadavers to remain more life like, allowing movement of the limbs, muscles and tendons. This also allows you to practice intubation on the cadavers as well as fine surgical skills - which you can not do as well on formaline cadavers (these are the cadavers used at every other medical school in the uk)

The anatomy teaching at Dundee is renowned and the "centre of anatomy and human identification" have won a great deal of prizes for their work.

Currently I have 3 hours every two weeks - however this increases and decreases with what body system you are studying (the dentists have 6 hours every week I believe). You are in groups of 3 or 4 and have a demonstrator that walks round to help you.
You also have an online computer that directs you through the dissection.

Anatomy teaching begins really early on in dundee. Plus, amongst your group you are given a skeleton! ( it's plastic)

Thanks!
Reply 192
Interview tomorrow. Any last minute tips? Particularly on useful things to know for ethical/medical research questions in case I've missed anything major!
Original post by am1992
Interview tomorrow. Any last minute tips? Particularly on useful things to know for ethical/medical research questions in case I've missed anything major!

Not particularly, just be yourself and remember all that you have prepared! I swear everyone comes back kicking themselves because they forgot to say something...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 194
Good luck to all those who have interviews! I'm still hoping for one. Have they filled up any January or February slots yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 195
Original post by drdesc
Good luck to all those who have interviews! I'm still hoping for one. Have they filled up any January or February slots yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm being interviewed tomorrow and only got my interview invite last week. Since there haven't been any other batches sent out since then as far as I'm aware I imagine they haven't given out any interviews for Jan/Feb yet.
Agreed, I'm studying down in Exeter, and have had exams and such right up until Monday.
I feel woefully underprepared, but I am willing to try my hardest.
I'm not entirely sure, having applied in my second year, if they are considering me to be a graduate or a school-leaver, so I couldn't comment on why I think they've selected me.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 197
Original post by am1992
I'm being interviewed tomorrow and only got my interview invite last week. Since there haven't been any other batches sent out since then as far as I'm aware I imagine they haven't given out any interviews for Jan/Feb yet.

That makes me feel better...how was your interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 198
Original post by drdesc
That makes me feel better...how was your interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No idea. Don't know what they were looking for so I don't know if I approached the scenarios correctly. Don't think I majorly messed up at least.

Bound to secrecy beyond that I'm afraid, though I can give general advice.
Reply 199
Original post by ElectricScalpel
Not particularly, just be yourself and remember all that you have prepared! I swear everyone comes back kicking themselves because they forgot to say something...

Posted from TSR Mobile

So, got home, looked at my notes and started kicking myself over all the things I forgot to say. You were annoyingly right! Still, least I can forget about it now. For 3-4 months...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending