The Student Room Group

failed my third driving test D:

Hi all,

This morning I failed my third test with one serious and 4 minors. I thought id passed but got told I had received a serious for going too near a side mirror of a parked car even though I always stayed a good distance away and the examiner never had to grab the wheel once. So annoyed because my instructor said he was being picky and I should have only got a minor!

This has really knocked my confidence and in wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

Im also going to uni and so cant afford any more lessons so this was my last shot :*

Also, has anyone had any success on appealing a fail? I know it's meant to be so hard to prove but if it gets me a free resit it might be worth it.

Thanks!
Reply 1
Don't worry, it took my bro like 6-7 attempts.
Reply 2
Good to know I'm not alone :-)
My cousin passed 1st time around lol. But you will get it in the end don't worry practice makes perfect.
Reply 4
well, I failed my 2nd for apparently not giving the right of way in a roundabout, even though the car coming from the right was in the inside lane and I was gonna use the outer lane (it was a 2 lane roundabout). Anyway, I then passed the 3rd time (with the same examiner, lol), but the whole thing is just bull****. He can literally give you a serious for anything he wants.
Don't worry, I failed 4 times and expect to fail a few more before I pass! I've always had really harsh examiners too. Driving doesn't come easy to everyone, you'll get there.
Original post by phoebephoo
Hi all,

This morning I failed my third test with one serious and 4 minors. I thought id passed but got told I had received a serious for going too near a side mirror of a parked car even though I always stayed a good distance away and the examiner never had to grab the wheel once. So annoyed because my instructor said he was being picky and I should have only got a minor!

This has really knocked my confidence and in wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

Im also going to uni and so cant afford any more lessons so this was my last shot :*

Also, has anyone had any success on appealing a fail? I know it's meant to be so hard to prove but if it gets me a free resit it might be worth it.

Thanks!

I failed first time for getting too close to the side mirror of a parked car and second time for scraping the curb. It sucks but fortunately I passed 3rd time, although I got a minor for being too far to the right!

It really sucks as it seems more contestable than other majors, like cutting someone up, but you'll have no way of winning an appeal as it's the testers word against yours and chances are you were too close to the side (I didn't even realise I'd done it at the time so I know how you feel)

Just keep trying and you'll get there, maybe take a break and book a new one for at the end of the Christmas break and get your instructor to constantly be checking you're not too close to the left?
Makes me full of hope :s-smilie:.

First and last attempt at my driving test tomorrow before i head to uni >.<
Reply 8
Thanks for all the help :biggrin:

It really does seem like examiners fail people for such small things :/
Hi all,

Thanks!

Going close to a mirror is fine, as long as you are very slow

The serious is not because you went too close to a mirror, but didnt leave a door length space and or slow down
Don't worry I passed on my 6th attempt. You will get there in the end, I failed 5 tests in a period of about 4 months, then I had a break for 5 months, with no driving lessons, booked one lesson, the instructor told me I would need about 10 more hours to pass my test, I didn't feel this was the case so booked a 6th and took it in my own car 5 days later and passed! I had driven my own car sporadically during the period with no lessons but it must have been about 4 times for twenty minutes max!
Hi all,

Thanks!

Sorry to hear you failed and I'm also sorry to say you cannot appeal a fail i.e., when you don't agree with the result. You can only appeal if the examiner did not abide by the regulations laid down i.e., the law or if he/she behaved in an unacceptable manner. From your post, neither applies so you would be wasting your time. Sorry. :frown:
Reply 12
Emma is right. Examiners go to great pains to ensure all legal requirements are carried out so that the legality of the test is watertight. If it's only their assessment that you disagree with, then I'm afraid you just have to accept that the examiner is highly experienced and will be correct. Your judgement on the day was flawed which is why you failed.

I do feel, however, that the genuine reason for you wanting to complain is this:
my instructor said he was being picky and I should have only got a minor!
A careless and very unprofessional throwaway comment by your instructor is the reason you feel so aggrieved. Your instructor is in no position to comment on what weight should be attributed to a fault. He has not been trained as an examiner. Was he even there at the time?

His job is to teach you right from wrong and to train you to not commit the fault in the first place. Had he done his job properly, you would have good self-awareness of your own performance, even any "out of character" faults, which many people put down to "nerves". For you to be unaware of how close you were, then continue to insist that you "stayed a good distance away" when an independent examiner clearly said otherwise, then not only has he failed to consolidate judgement into you, but he is now clearly shifting the blame from his own shortcomings!

Ditch this instructor and pay a good one to train your awareness properly and be brutally honest with you about your performance. Your success depends on proper training and honest appraisals rather than this "blame the examiner" nonsense.
Reply 13
I just failed my third test today. 1 major. I messed up a lane change. My fails have been completely due to nerves. Each time it gets worse. This time I was shaking by the end of it and once I parked I couldn't get the key out of the ignition. I'll admit I have had a bit of a cry each time I've failed and felt absolutely down the rest of the day but I'm still going to try. Everyone I've driven with says my driving is good and can't understand why I can't pass. All of my friends say the test is easy. I don't know anyone personally who has failed as many times as I have which makes it worse but hey I'll sort out my nerves and get there eventually! (but hopefully in two weeks because that's when my instructor's booking my test)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending