The Student Room Group

Is dropping further maths the right decision?

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TozRedz
So at AS, I took maths (A 267/300), further maths (A 268/300), Chemistry (A 248/300), Physics (B 238/300).
I'm currently leaning towards either chemical or mechanical engineering at university.

Today I decided to drop further maths as I was unsure about taking 4 A levels and I know that dropping either chem or phys would limit the courses I can apply for.
However, further maths was my highest scoring subject so I feel that I may have made a bit of a mistake by dropping it.

Is this the right decision? Obviously it makes life a bit easier for me as I have more time to put into my other subjects, but is dropping my best subject a good idea? Will I be at a disadvantage for not taking A2 Further maths?

Ideally, you would continue all four and I would recommend you do this unless you do not feel that you will be able to obtain good grades because of the workload. If you do drop a subject, you need to make a decision between Mechanical and Chemical Engineering. If you go for Mechanical, I'd drop Chemistry. If you go for Chemical, I'd drop Further Maths. Further Maths is an extremely useful subject to have for engineering. Whilst not having it to A2 will not prevent you from applying to competitive courses, it definitely is an advantage to have it. Obviously, Chemistry is essential for Chemical Engineering so if you have to take 3 and go for Chemical, you should drop Further Maths.

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest