The Student Room Group

Should I do 4 A Levels and an EPQ or am I crazy?

So here's my dilemna: I currently plan to apply to History and French at Oxford, KCL, Warwick and Leeds and so have History, French, and English A Levels accordingly. However, my fifth option is Arts and Sciences at UCL which means I would need to continue with Chemistry to A2. I was originally planning to do an EPQ on the Algerian War and its impact on French national identity, but 4 a levels and an EPQ just seems like a crazy amount of work. I'm sure the EPQ would be beneficial esp. since there's a chance they might mention it at interview, but I don't want it to detract from my A levels which are obv more important. Is there any point doing all of them or should I just focus on extra reading in place of the EPQ?
Original post by xcartoonheart
So here's my dilemna: I currently plan to apply to History and French at Oxford, KCL, Warwick and Leeds and so have History, French, and English A Levels accordingly. However, my fifth option is Arts and Sciences at UCL which means I would need to continue with Chemistry to A2. I was originally planning to do an EPQ on the Algerian War and its impact on French national identity, but 4 a levels and an EPQ just seems like a crazy amount of work. I'm sure the EPQ would be beneficial esp. since there's a chance they might mention it at interview, but I don't want it to detract from my A levels which are obv more important. Is there any point doing all of them or should I just focus on extra reading in place of the EPQ?

I had to confront such a scenario.I want to go to UCL but I've decided I'll do only 3 A levels.What were your AS level grades like?
Original post by Skill Twix
I had to confront such a scenario.I want to go to UCL but I've decided I'll do only 3 A levels.What were your AS level grades like?

All A's and predicted A*A*A*A for Chem, English, French and History respectively. I'm pretty sure I can cope for four A Levels, I just think the EPQ could tip me to stress level 1000 and tbh Oxford isn't my main goal, I would rather go to UCL because I love the course. Hopefully my extra reading makes up for it...?

What course do you want to apply for, and what A Levels are you doing?
All A's and predicted A*A*A*A for Chem, English, French and History respectively. I'm pretty sure I can cope for four A Levels, I just think the EPQ could tip me to stress level 1000 and tbh Oxford isn't my main goal, I would rather go to UCL because I love the course. Hopefully my extra reading makes up for it...?

What course do you want to apply for, and what A Levels are you doing?

I am going for the most competitive one,Economics.I am doing Physics,Maths and Economics
Original post by Skill Twix
I am going for the most competitive one,Economics.I am doing Physics,Maths and Economics

Oh wow, good luck!
Reply 5
How important is the Arts and Sciences course at UCL to you?

EPQ will pull time away from your studies, and you'll still have to do extra reading, so it seems like quite a lot on top of those. It would be good to do though, given the course you're applying to, because it's relevant and a nice way of combining both side. When do you actually do the EPQ? Deadlines and so on, because some people seem to get it over and done with reasonably quick if they just focus on it solidly for a small period of time. You have experience in writing essays and constructing arguments so I can't see it being overly challenging.

For Oxford, I don't think either way will matter too much, as you'll be doing the HAT, and they'll look at that more than whether you have an EPQ or not. Not every applicant is taking EPQ, nor are they all doing 4 a-levels, so they're both just a bonus.

I ask about importance, because i'd be tempted to drop the chemistry and continue with the EPQ, unless you're really very fond of chemistry. I imagine you're not so likely to firm the course, but was it an insurance thought?

Ultimately, I think another A-level takes more time than an EPQ. I kind of think that time would be better spent reading and exploring history and French, in terms of your application, and for the future. It means come exam time you can focus on the areas that really matter. It's not worth risking - as presumably you'll be needing AAA at minimum. The only other way i'd say it's useful is if you're more likely to get an A in it than English.

It's a personal choice. Depends how motivated and time efficient you are too.

Edit: seen above. If UCL is your goal then sod the EPQ and continue with four.
Oh wow, good luck!

Cheers.You too!Then you should do 4 A levels and an EPQ.My friend did the same thing as you but got C's and D's in the end.Think twice before you do anything!My AS level grades weren't good as yours(even though I was predicted straight A's)

Quick Reply

Latest