The Student Room Group

About to start 2-year Part-Time Msc - some concerns about breaking into FO

Hi All,

So currently I'm working in London for a financial information firm (think Bloomberg, CapIQ), and worked a year in the US beforehand, as I completed my undergrad there at a semi-target (top 20).

Recently I was accepted to LSE's Msc Finance Part-Time program, which I am planning on starting as I want to break into IBD.

However, although I have had internships in real estate finance, and my 2 years of work experience in my current firm, none of it is 100% related to IB.

Thus, I'm worried as it appears that an internship is mandatory to get into a graduate scheme. Therefore, should I try and find a summer internship now, then quitting my current job? This way, after my internship, I would be completing my 2nd year without a job. Or do you think that this would be good enough for full-time recruiting?

Also, do you think it's worth it to start the Part-Time program for breaking into IB? Have any of you heard about Part-time masters students breaking into FO roles?

Or should I just not even take the masters program at all and wait a few years for a MBA?

Sorry for the length and all the questions, but I really appreciate any advice possible, cheers!
If you failed to get in with your top20 undergrad, I don't know how much more Bloomberg/CapIQ experience + LSE masters will help you.
Reply 2
Hi Tokyoround,

Appreciate the reply! I'll be the first to admit that I didn't really want to do IBD coming out of undergrad, and aimed more at consulting instead, which is why I didn't go into IBD. However, after moving to London, and meeting a lot of people in the field, I became a lot more interested.
Also, as an EU citizen, it is a lot harder to find a good job in the US than in the UK.

In that case, would you say it's still not really worth it to take the masters? Thanks!
What was your major?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Tokyoround
What was your major?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Economics/Psychology
Original post by dzhao8
Economics/Psychology

Well it's worth a try, seems like you have a decent undergrad already, have you tried sending one or two tester applications just to see what kind of response you get?
Reply 6
Original post by dzhao8
Hi All,

So currently I'm working in London for a financial information firm (think Bloomberg, CapIQ), and worked a year in the US beforehand, as I completed my undergrad there at a semi-target (top 20).

Recently I was accepted to LSE's Msc Finance Part-Time program, which I am planning on starting as I want to break into IBD.

However, although I have had internships in real estate finance, and my 2 years of work experience in my current firm, none of it is 100% related to IB.

Thus, I'm worried as it appears that an internship is mandatory to get into a graduate scheme. Therefore, should I try and find a summer internship now, then quitting my current job? This way, after my internship, I would be completing my 2nd year without a job. Or do you think that this would be good enough for full-time recruiting?

Also, do you think it's worth it to start the Part-Time program for breaking into IB? Have any of you heard about Part-time masters students breaking into FO roles?

Or should I just not even take the masters program at all and wait a few years for a MBA?

Sorry for the length and all the questions, but I really appreciate any advice possible, cheers!

You should have a good shot at getting a summer internship after your first year but you will have to decide if you can affort to possibly face a year without a job. You'll also have another shot after your finish your masters and you can also apply for long-term internships.
Many teams / groups / banks will appreciate your experience.

If i was you, I'd skip all that and jsut go for long-term internships and grad roles directly now or when you finish your masters (or towards the end of it)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending