The Student Room Group

a-levels for engineering/physics?

i'm doing maths, further maths, physics and german. do i need to do chemistry too for these courses or will my current options suffice? i don't really fancy doing 5 a-levels though, and i really don't want to drop german because i really enjoy it and have an aptitude for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Really depends on the type of engineering you want to go into.

Not taking chemistry rules out.... what chemical engineering. Not really the end of the world.

However if Maths / Further maths are in the same timetable block i.e. your going to do A2 maths in year 12 and A2 FMaths in year 13, it may be worthy looking into chemistry incase things go pearshape come exams - But not the end of the world if you dont
You'll be absolutely fine with those A-Levels for any kind of mechanical engineering.

In fact German will probably serve you better in industry than Chemistry. You made good choices.
Original post by Jkizer
Really depends on the type of engineering you want to go into.

Not taking chemistry rules out.... what chemical engineering. Not really the end of the world.

However if Maths / Further maths are in the same timetable block i.e. your going to do A2 maths in year 12 and A2 FMaths in year 13, it may be worthy looking into chemistry incase things go pearshape come exams - But not the end of the world if you dont

i'm doing both AS maths and further maths this year and hopefully taking them both to A2 :smile: i do suppose chemistry would open many doors just in case i can't hack further maths, but i'm determined to work hard and make sure that doesn't happen. don't particularly fancy chemical engineering anyway xD thank you for your advice!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by arcturus7
You'll be absolutely fine with those A-Levels for any kind of mechanical engineering.

In fact German will probably serve you better in industry than Chemistry. You made good choices.

thank you! aeronautics interests me quite a lot :smile: and i'd love to work abroad for the fourth year in courses that offer that (in imperial, etc) so i'm very excited about german. reeeeally hope i won't be disadvantaged by the lack of chemistry but we'll see :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest