The Student Room Group

Should I get sims 3 or sims 4?

Scroll to see replies

The Sims 4 is so expensive and PC only.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
I will be doing them but haven't had the time atm due to my aunt having cancer. Unfortunately she had to go into hospital and she's very sick. I've been helping out a lot with her dogs while she's been ill.

But I will be doing them when things calm down

Aw, I'm so sorry to hear that! Hope everything sorts itself out, take your time! :frown:
Original post by Mochassassin
Aw, I'm so sorry to hear that! Hope everything sorts itself out, take your time! :frown:

Thanks :smile: it may take a while but it will be done :tongue:
Original post by Jammy Duel
Which is also to be expected from engine improvements. But again, a mostly new soundtrack is to be expected, if a game doesn't have a different sound track (any recurring themes for the series excluded) I would be somewhat concerned.

I don't think it's fair to "expect" the next generation of ANY game to run as well as it's predecessor on the same PC. That's just how software development is. My point was that TS3 was actually quite poor with regards to performance (especially loading times) so TS4 made a good improvement on this.

Not sure what your point about the soundtrack is considering it is new (as you would expect, I agree).

I do agree with Katie though about the lack of community lots, the worlds do seem a bit small to me, but it's good you can go freely between them instead of being stuck in the same one forever like in TS3.
Original post by secretmessages

Also it's a safe bet that EA are going to address these issues in future.

If my 'addressing' you mean releasing DLC with features that should have been in the vanilla game for £30+, you would be right.
That's my problem. I bought sims 2 base game for £4. This is a LOT more expensive. But then again, I am NOT big gamer, the only other game I wish to buy this year is the pokemon ruby and sapphire remakes. So the expansion packs would be expensive yes, but they'd be affordable if I wanted them. I just don't want to spend what is still a large amount of money on sims 3, only for a really great sims 4 expansion pack to come out.
Original post by IfOnlyItWereEasy
That's my problem. I bought sims 2 base game for £4. This is a LOT more expensive. But then again, I am NOT big gamer, the only other game I wish to buy this year is the pokemon ruby and sapphire remakes. So the expansion packs would be expensive yes, but they'd be affordable if I wanted them. I just don't want to spend what is still a large amount of money on sims 3, only for a really great sims 4 expansion pack to come out.

I expect there won't be anything particularly great for some time, I wouldn't be surprised if most of the stuff for the next year or so is re-releaseing S3 expansions and selling you the things they cut from the base game
I don't think it's fair to "expect" the next generation of ANY game to run as well as it's predecessor on the same PC. That's just how software development is. My point was that TS3 was actually quite poor with regards to performance (especially loading times) so TS4 made a good improvement on this.

Not sure what your point about the soundtrack is considering it is new (as you would expect, I agree).

I do agree with Katie though about the lack of community lots, the worlds do seem a bit small to me, but it's good you can go freely between them instead of being stuck in the same one forever like in TS3.

I definitely agree about the loading times, TS3 was absolutely ridiculous to load up, but I feel I would of preferred slightly longer loading screens for more content in TS4. It is so stripped down and they will only add more in £30 expansion packs.
I ended up getting The Sims 3 base game and the expansions up to that decade stuff pack for around £130 on Steam during the sales. Yes, if you wait until the Steam winter sale (or autumn sale, if they do one), I guarantee at some point, that the cost will dive. I still have one more expansion to get, but with that, I'm waiting for the Sale.

And I personally won't be buying TS4, although I need to look at some playthroughs to see what's really missing - I haven't had the chance yet -.-
I don't have a steam account D: (my little brother does but bleugh)
Original post by IfOnlyItWereEasy
I don't have a steam account D: (my little brother does but bleugh)

A Steam account is so easy and free to use :biggrin: plus there's tons of other games you can get on there if you so wish :biggrin:
Anyone saying that TS4 is just TS2/3 with less content clearly hasn't actually played the game, at least not for any decent amount of time.

Yes there are things missing, but after playing it for a few hours, I haven't once cared about the lack of toddlers or the lack of swimming pools and whatever else I haven't noticed is missing. The engine has improved a lot since TS3, the Sims are "deeper", there are so many misc improvements in general, and somehow performs a lot better (with regards to loading times, lag, graphics) too.

Also it's a safe bet that EA are going to address these issues in future.

The true words of casuals and/or EA shills.

You can literally google "TS4 missing features" and find a large list of content that is missing.

Ah, but I don't expect you to take my word for it, so i'll give you reviews by gaming journalists as well, which have largely stated that content is missing.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-sims-4/critic-reviews?dist=neutral

(These are critic reviews, not random people on the internet)

"Even with the missing content.... " -Gaming Nexus

"
, this is the weakest base-game in the Sims-series. But luckily not by a great distance. Burrowing deeper than the first, somewhat disappointing hours, players will find that a lot of the missing features (basements, toddlers, pools and a ‘open world’ village) " - Power Unlimited

"The Sims 4 simply has core-features. No pools, no garages and other important stuff... Expansion Packs are coming. The Sims 4 has weak content, AI is problematic and it's definitely the worst The Sims game ever" -

"The Sims 4 has solid foundations, but it feels like it isn't finished yet." -Levelup

"
The Create-A-Sim and Build Mode systems are much more accessible yet offer a lot of depth for those that desire it. Sims are smart, can multitask, and interact in lots of nifty ways. However, there are still plenty of missing core items while the existing set of options are limited, to say the least, no doubt to ensure that the upcoming expansions bring lots of highly desirable things." - Softpedia

"The Sims 4 certainly doesn't reinvent the wheel and is not as comprehensive as its predecessors" - 3DJuegos

"the game suffers from a brutal lack of content. It's a great game that needs more content as soon as possible." -Meristation

"The Sims 4 is a fresh new start for the franchise. This means that we have to accept some deprivations and sacrifice a few gameplay elements." - Everyeye.it

"The Sims 4 is a smaller, more compact and less ambitious type of The Sims. While still very enjoyable, the missing core features like Sims 3’s open world make this game inferior to its predecessors. " PC Games (Germany)

"It’s a good start to what may eventually be expanded into a great Sims game, but it’s not there yet." - IGN

"The Sims 4 is a game taking a big step forward and then two steps back. A new emotions system is a breath of fresh air, creating your sim and your home have been improved, and it's all good. Unfortunately: frequent loading screens, a not-so-open city, a dull neighborhood, few careers and lack of many things known from previous games create an overall muddy image of the game" - GRYOnline

"The Sims 4 is a good game marred by a dire lack of content, the - albeit solid - foundation for a never ending stream of DLCs." -IGN Italia

"Almost a great sequel, but the improvements to the sims are overshadowed by the shopping list of peculiarly random missing features" Metro Game Central

"
Although The Sims 4 brings a few new features, namely the emotion system, it can only make the early fans unhappy and disappointed. Electronic Arts erased many elements and features that were essential and representative of the saga." -JeuxActu

"The new generation of Sims begins with what feels like a bare-bones starter kit. It packs top-of-the-line Sims creation and house building tools, but styling options and activities are distinctly lacking. Add the contents of its first expansion, and Sims 4 will probably feel like the game it should be right now." - USgamer

"The Sims 4 could easily have been an nominee for one of our editor's choice awards, but it's woefully incomplete,." -Game Revolution

"I feel like I'm playing a game that's half-baked. The core formula is still fun, but The Sims 4 isn't an improvement." -Game Informer

"Even in virtual worlds, variety is the spice of life. The Sims 4, for all its polish and cleverness, simply isn't very spicy." -Polygon

"
While there are certainly some things to like about The Sims 4 such as building a custom mansion, or being visited by the Grim Reaper, the entire experience feels like a starter kit for bigger things in the future. If you had The Sims 3 and its multiple expansions, The Sims 4 will feel stripped down. " -Gametrailers

"Starting The Sims 4 after years of The Sims 3 will definitely make you wish for an open world again. The Sims behave more realistically, but after two generations you are pretty much done with all functions and you start to feel how limited The Sims 4 is." XGN

"A step backwards for the series. There are some major improvements here, but they don't make up for what has been lost" Gamer.no

The Sims 4 is basically The Sims 3, but shrunken and sterile. While some tweaks and enhancements are nice, none of them can offset the overall lack of engagement provided, and the looming promise of DLC is no compromise." - Thes Escapist. (My favourite review)

"
The lack of core-features, underutilization of the impressive emotions system, flawed customization and faulty… practically everything else, only emphasizes EA’s struggle to keep its promises." HGM

I suppose you'll say that these reviewers haven't played it enough either?

Yes, EA will address the problems in the future, with 150USD worth of DLC.

Shill harder.
(edited 9 years ago)
This.

Sims 4 is better than sims 3

If by better you mean removing 30% of the content and making the animations and textures slightly better, then sure.
Original post by Fango_Jett
If by better you mean removing 30% of the content and making the animations and textures slightly better, then sure.

Animations better? Having seen the wlking animations I would much rather have the really bad original ones from 2000 over those, I mean seriously, how can you reasonably expect people to personalise their sims properly with those ​animations

Comparing a fully patched and several expansion packed sims 3 to brand new sims 4 seems legit

also lol at u taking "critic reviews" over your own opinion, see what YOU think
(edited 9 years ago)
Comparing a fully patched and several expansion packed sims 3 to brand new sims 4 seems legit

Seeing what we think relies upon wasting money on the game, and if it was removed content after expansions it would be A LOT more than 30%. And we don't need to actually play it to confirm that loads of things are missing, they were announced missing before release, all the reviewers are saying the stuff is missing and we can look on YouTube to see stuff is missing.

I'm not even talking about Sims 3 with expansions. Even the sims 3 base was better than the crap that sims 4 was.

"fully patched" ...don't remember when patches bought actual game content? That's all in DLC.

My own opinion is much harsher than the critics. I think it's as good as 5 dollar indie game at best.

I only posted critic reviews because of that one idiot that said only people who hadn't played the game think that its a stripped down version of older sims games.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm not even talking about Sims 3 with expansions. Even the sims 3 base was better than the crap that sims 4 was.

"fully patched" ...don't remember when patches bought actual game content? That's all in DLC.

My own opinion is much harsher than the critics. I think it's as good as 5 dollar indie game at best.

I only posted critic reviews because of that one idiot that said only people who hadn't played the game think that its a stripped down version of older sims games.

Personally I think sims 4 is better than 3.

How come you don't hear about the nannies, headmaster game, fears, aspiration reqards, turn ons, usable grocery stores, usable clothes shops and multitude of things missing from sims 3?

In my opinion it goes sims 4, then sims 2, then sims 3. 3 was the least favourite
Reply 38
Original post by Cake Faced Kid.
If my 'addressing' you mean releasing DLC with features that should have been in the vanilla game for £30+, you would be right.

Ermagerd! EA doing something everybody knew they were going to do!
Rinse, repeat.
Reply 39
Personally I think sims 4 is better than 3.

How come you don't hear about the nannies, headmaster game, fears, aspiration reqards, turn ons, usable grocery stores, usable clothes shops and multitude of things missing from sims 3?

In my opinion it goes sims 4, then sims 2, then sims 3. 3 was the least favourite

Those were all in The Sims 3, and the rest of them no doubt had mods available. :/

Quick Reply

Latest