The Student Room Group

Why am I not loosing weight??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by jay2013
Your body requires energy (measured in calories) to maintain itself and carry out functions vital for survival (heart beat, breathing, thinking, moving).

If you eat more calories than needed for these tasks, the extra energy will be stored as fat.

Yes this is true.

If you eat less calories than needed for these tasks, the extra energy will be obtained from stored fat.

Why is exersize irrelevant? All excersize does is burn calories, but it takes a lot of effort to do enough exersize to burn a significant amount of calories and you're likely to be very hungry afterwards. It takes far less effort to EAT LESS than it does to eat more and then have to burn it off.

The extra energy will not necessarily be obtained from stored fat. If you're doing high-intensity tasks you're going to be oxidizing carbohydrates (blood glucose + breakdown of glycogen to glucose). If you're doing low-intensity tasks you're going to be oxidizing primarily fat. Also exercise does not burn calories - exercise burns fat or carbohydrate. It does not burn calories - that's like saying a car engine burns degree Celsius. But exercise is relevant because even if you do eat less you're not necessarily going to lose fat. In actual fact if you don't exercise and you eat less you'll most likely end up increasing your body fat %.

Why are fad diets irrelevant? Because it doesn't matter which food you eat if your only concern is losing weight - you know, because of the calorie thing.

Yes a calorie is just a measurement of energy. More precisely it's how much energy it takes to increase 1g of a marconutritent (carbohydrate, fat or protein) by 1 degree Celsius. Fat has 9 calories per gram, carbohydrates and protein have roughly 4 calories per gram. So yes having a proper balanced diet is important because there is no point in eating 1,500 calories if all the calories come from one marconutrient e.g. if it all comes from fat (166 grams).

Why are "healthy" or "unhealthy" foods irrelevant? Because a calorie is a calorie, if your only concern is losing weight - it simply doesn't matter

No, it does matter. You need to eat healthy - why do you think there are some many people in the West who are so obese e.g. like those in America? Because they eat unhealthy foods, like fast food, which is primarily high in carbohydrates.

Why is your "metabolism" unimportant? - Most people have no clue what the word means and it is 99.9% of the time vastly exaggerated so it can be used as an excuse for failure. Unless you have a medical condition your metabolic rate (amount of calories your body needs to sustain itself) will be within 10% of another person with the same height and weight as yourself

Metabolism is important because it determines how quickly you metabolize carbohydrate, fat and protein. People with high metabolism can eat and eat and never put on weight. Others, especially those those with mutations in KSR2, can control their eating but they can never lose weight because their metabolism is slow.

So much Broscience in this post I'm not sure weather you're trolling or not to be honest.

The extra energy will not necessarily be obtained from stored fat. If you're doing high-intensity tasks you're going to be oxidizing carbohydrates (blood glucose + breakdown of glycogen to glucose). If you're doing low-intensity tasks you're going to be oxidizing primarily fat. Also exercise does not burn calories - exercise burns fat or carbohydrate. It does not burn calories - that's like saying a car engine burns degree Celsius. But exercise is relevant because even if you do eat less you're not necessarily going to lose fat. In actual fact if you don't exercise and you eat less you'll most likely end up increasing your body fat %.

Aside from the 100% incorrect biochemistry think about what else you've just said. Read it back, take a look at it and take a good long hard think about what you've actually just typed.

You've legitimately just said that if you eat less food you will get more fat. You're actually saying that if I went from eating TWO pizzas a day and sitting on my arse to eating ONE pizza a day and sitting on my arse I'd gain fat.

Yes a calorie is just a measurement of energy. More precisely it's how much energy it takes to increase 1g of a marconutritent (carbohydrate, fat or protein) by 1 degree Celsius. Fat has 9 calories per gram, carbohydrates and protein have roughly 4 calories per gram. So yes having a proper balanced diet is important because there is no point in eating 1,500 calories if all the calories come from one marconutrient e.g. if it all comes from fa

Why take things to the utter extremes? Nothing in the universe works if taken to an extreme value. This is an average girl looking to reduce her weight a bit, she's obviously not going to be feasting on 100% fat / carb / protein is she? This is a pointless argument. besides even if you ate 100% fat you'd still lose weight providing it was lower than maintenance calories...

Would it be good for your healthy? **** no. But in the context of ONLY losing weight, it'd still work buddy.

Metabolism is important because it determines how quickly you metabolize carbohydrate, fat and protein. People with high metabolism can eat and eat and never put on weight. Others, especially those those with mutations in KSR2, can control their eating but they can never lose weight because their metabolism is slow

The core issue is that you don't know what metabolism is. It is the energy requirement to maintain your current weight per unit time (example calories per day required to survive).

For your heart to beat you need calories, for your lungs to suck air in you need calories, for your muscles to contract you need calories, for you to type your bull**** broscience you need calories.

If you eat less calories than needed to do those things, your body will not just stop it's heart beating in "starvation mode", it will get the extra calories from fat stories (mainly).

IRRELEVANT POINT TO WEIGHT LOSS BUT SEMI-IMPORTANT TO OPTIMAL FAT LOSS:

If the caloric deficit (if you eat too few calories) is too big than your body may be unable to use fat at an efficient enough rate to obtain enough calories, so it might tap into your muscle tissue and break it down for the additional energy - but this is EASILY gotten past by simply increasing your protein intake - getting the amino acids from a chicken breast means you don't need to get them from your own lean mass. Simple

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Omega3!
x

LOL

Okay, you stick with your broscience. I'll stick with my 1st class sport science degree :lol:
Reply 62
Original post by Greg Jackson

wish I had your patience, everything here is spot on, slow metabolism is the weakest most annoying excuse ever, lmao @ people who still believe in somatotypes in 2014, ****ing morons please refer to lyle mcdonald and alan aragon's work

It's not the guys fault to be fair, he's just been fed **** that's easier to believe than reality through a silly degree and the media. Always hard to convince people that have been brainwashed so hard that they're wrong, no matter how much science / evidence there is to back it up.
Reply 63
Original post by jay2013
LOL

Okay, you stick with your broscience. I'll stick with my 1st class sport science degree :lol:

I'll stick with my medical degree, buddy.

Also you might want to take a look at www.examine.com

The issue with sports science degrees and such is that, the person that marks your exams and coursework is the person who taught you the bull**** stuff in the first place. So the grade you get is just a reflection of how much incorrect stuff you remember, besides a sports science degree is highly biased towards SPORTS :O shock horror and isn't going to be objective about biochemistry and general nutrition (not involving sports).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by GeogBerry
I lost 3 stone just from cutting out sugar. You can eat (within reason) anything as long as it's low in sugar. The body can directly respire glucose and therefore does this before it hydrolyses fat deposits. If you cut out sugar, your body has to expend more energy to break down fats and proteins you have eaten and then once these are gone reduces fat stores :smile:

You lost weight because you ate less calories.
I don't like to count calories when losing weight.
As for Omega3!, there is such thing as metabolism. I don't care how much science you put, because there is such thing as metabolism. People can eat A LOT and not gain any weight.
For the OP, why do you wanna lose weight? You are perfectly fine.
Reply 66
Original post by Alisa59
I don't like to count calories when losing weight.
As for Omega3!, there is such thing as metabolism. I don't care how much science you put, because there is such thing as metabolism. People can eat A LOT and not gain any weight.
For the OP, why do you wanna lose weight? You are perfectly fine.

Such this as a metabolism? Of course there is. I've already defined exactly what it is and why it exists. It's just that people misunderstand what it is and how it effects their weight loss. They do this on purpose most of the time to justify their lackluster gains.

"Metabolism" is a word generated by scientists and incorrectly used by the majority of the fat general public. So if you don't believe in "science" I'm afraid you don't believe in "metabolism".

Honestly, amazed every day at how much magazines, the TV and anecdotal stories can control the way people think - no wonder we're living in an obesity and diabetes epidemic.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Omega3!
Such this as a metabolism? Of course there is. I've already defined exactly what it is and why it exists. It's just that people misunderstand what it is and how it effects their weight loss. They do this on purpose most of the time to justify their lackluster gains.

"Metabolism" is a word generated by scientists and incorrectly used by the majority of the fat general public. So if you don't believe in "science" I'm afraid you don't believe in "metabolism".

Honestly, amazed every day at how much magazines, the TV and anecdotal stories can control the way people think - no wonder we're living in an obesity and diabetes epidemic.

I believe in facts and how they are proven. Science is just some backup information.
What happens if the amount of calories required is more? If a person eats more than they should have, they still can't gain weight.
Reply 68
Original post by Alisa59
I believe in facts and how they are proven. Science is just some backup information.
What happens if the amount of calories required is more? If a person eats more than they should have, they still can't gain weight.

If you have two people:

Alisa who is 5 foot 5 and weights 55kg

Susan who is 5 foot 5 and weighs 55kg

In theory if they were perfectly the same they would both need a certain amount of calories (lets say 2000 for the illustrative purposes) to retain the same weight.

However lets say, since nobody is the same, Alisa requires 2200 and Susan requires 2000.

You could certainly say that Alisa has a "faster metabolism" than Susan, but in realistic terms, it's very insignificant (it's a 10% difference).

If they both ate 1800 calories a day - they'd still both lose weight, it would just take Susan a little longer, however Susan could just eat slightly less (200kcals) and the rate of weight loss would be much closer.

Metabolism is very rarely outside of 10% of the average for a given height or weight and if it is it is usually accompanied by a very treatable medical condition.

It is however, not an excuse for uneducated people to make up their own science and claim it to be correct.
Original post by Omega3!
If you have two people:

Alisa who is 5 foot 5 and weights 55kg

Susan who is 5 foot 5 and weighs 55kg

In theory if they were perfectly the same they would both need a certain amount of calories (lets say 2000 for the illustrative purposes) to retain the same weight.

However lets say, since nobody is the same, Alisa requires 2200 and Susan requires 2000.

You could certainly say that Alisa has a "faster metabolism" than Susan, but in realistic terms, it's very insignificant (it's a 10% difference).

If they both ate 1800 calories a day - they'd still both lose weight, it would just take Susan a little longer, however Susan could just eat slightly less (200kcals) and the rate of weight loss would be much closer.

Metabolism is very rarely outside of 10% of the average for a given height or weight and if it is it is usually accompanied by a very treatable medical condition.

It is however, not an excuse for uneducated people to make up their own science and claim it to be correct.

I see.
I disagree with the 'uneducated people to make up their own science'. They don't need science to understand that.
Reply 70
Original post by Alisa59
I see.
I disagree with the 'uneducated people to make up their own science'. They don't need science to understand that.

They do need science, because that IS science. A lot of science is simply logic, it doesn't need fancy words or intense IQ, just taking a step back and thinking about something sensibly for a few minutes with the TV off and the magazines closed.

People just like to try and overly complicate things because it makes them feel important or to justify their qualifications / degree / life choices / failures. It's not their fault in a way, the media has a grip on most people - hence the obesity / diabetes epidemic.
Original post by Amii567
I'm 16, 5 ft 4 and 8st 4lbs
I really want to loose a 5 pounds so I've been working out at around 2 hrs 30 mins per week for about 7 weeks. I've also been having a healthy diet but I've only lost about 2lbs!
I don't know if I'm just one of those unlucky people that take ages to loose weight.
Any advice?

Make a list of everything you eat JUST to make certain you aren't accidentally eating more than you think. Things like fruit juices contain a lot of sugar so don't substitute these for other drinks. Water is the best :smile:
Just saying that you're entirely average weight-wise, so I wouldn't worry, but if you really want to lose it speak to a personal trainer. They will be able to tell you what exercises are best for you. Also remember that if you're gaining muscle tone, you won't lose as much because muscle weighs more than fat. If you're focused on exercise-motivate weightloss rather than diet focused weightloss, I would focus on getting the body shape you want rather than focusing on weight. You may be more surprised by how your body changes shape through regular exercise and a healthy diet.
One last thing, please don't resort to any silly diets. There is no magic pill and crash dieting doesn't work so keep going if this is what you want. Remember to stay in a healthy weight and don't let it take over your thoughts. Focus on being happy. Give it time.
Hope this helps!
Original post by jay2013

Yes a calorie is just a measurement of energy. More precisely it's how much energy it takes to increase 1g of a marconutritent (carbohydrate, fat or protein) by 1 degree Celsius. Fat has 9 calories per gram, carbohydrates and protein have roughly 4 calories per gram. So yes having a proper balanced diet is important because there is no point in eating 1,500 calories if all the calories come from one marconutrient e.g. if it all comes from fat (166 grams).

I won't bother mentioning most of your awfully incorrect post, but I just came here to lol at your definition of a calorie. It's rather funny, and completely wrong.
Original post by jay2013
LOL

I see they didn't manage to teach you the definition of a calorie in your oh-so-rigorous sports science degree
Original post by jay2013

Yes a calorie is just a measurement of energy. More precisely it's how much energy it takes to increase 1g of a marconutritent (carbohydrate, fat or protein) by 1 degree Celsius.

Calorie is defined as: the energy needed to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water through 1 °C.

You wasted a lot of money on your degree if you don't even know something so simple.
Original post by Greg Jackson
this thread is ****ing embarrassing, never seen so much broscience in my life

This

Original post by Omega3!
What don't you understand?

Your body requires energy (measured in calories) to maintain itself and carry out functions vital for survival (heart beat, breathing, thinking, moving).

If you eat more calories than needed for these tasks, the extra energy will be stored as fat.

If you eat less calories than needed for these tasks, the extra energy will be obtained from stored fat.

Why is exersize irrelevant? All excersize does is burn calories, but it takes a lot of effort to do enough exersize to burn a significant amount of calories and you're likely to be very hungry afterwards. It takes far less effort to EAT LESS than it does to eat more and then have to burn it off. Aside from that, you can lie in bed all day everyday, so long as you are eating less calories than you need, you'll lose weight.

Why are fad diets irrelevant? Because it doesn't matter which food you eat if your only concern is losing weight - you know, because of the calorie thing.

Why are "healthy" or "unhealthy" foods irrelevant? Because a calorie is a calorie, if your only concern is losing weight - it simply doesn't matter

Why is your "metabolism" unimportant? - Most people have no clue what the word means and it is 99.9% of the time vastly exaggerated so it can be used as an excuse for failure. Unless you have a medical condition your metabolic rate (amount of calories your body needs to sustain itself) will be within 10% of another person with the same height and weight as yourself

EDIT: Starvation mode is a myth - if you see someone post about it immediately stop reading what they're saying. You think the body is gonna be all like "WOAH **** THIS, NOT ENOUGH CALORIES STARVATION MODE ENGAGED, LETS STOP OUR HEART BEATING, STOP OUR BRAIN WORKING AND STOP BREATHING SO WE CAN HOLD ONTO THESE EXTRA FAT STORES LADS!!!"? Don't be stupid.

You've taken my job on this forum... Beating broscience with a stick. **** sake, how dare you

Seriously though awesome posting :top:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 76
Original post by Amii567
I'm 16, 5 ft 4 and 8st 4lbs
I really want to loose a 5 pounds so I've been working out at around 2 hrs 30 mins per week for about 7 weeks. I've also been having a healthy diet but I've only lost about 2lbs!
I don't know if I'm just one of those unlucky people that take ages to loose weight.
Any advice?

Wow thanks. That just makes me feel fat - 5 foot 7 and 11 stone something. Have you considered that there isn't much fat to burn

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Omega3!

EDIT: Starvation mode is a myth - if you see someone post about it immediately stop reading what they're saying. You think the body is gonna be all like "WOAH **** THIS, NOT ENOUGH CALORIES STARVATION MODE ENGAGED, LETS STOP OUR HEART BEATING, STOP OUR BRAIN WORKING AND STOP BREATHING SO WE CAN HOLD ONTO THESE EXTRA FAT STORES LADS!!!"? Don't be stupid.

I feel offended :frown:... :cry:
But funny explanation :biggrin:
To loose weight, the energy in your food intake has to be lower than the energy you loose through excising. Working out 2 hours and 30 mins per week isn't enough. so technically, yes, you are eating more than you should be for the amount of excising you are doing. Then again, you have a healthy weight for your height so, I wouldn't stress too much, if I were you.
Reply 79
Original post by wheelerc
Make a list of everything you eat JUST to make certain you aren't accidentally eating more than you think. Things like fruit juices contain a lot of sugar so don't substitute these for other drinks. Water is the best :smile:
Just saying that you're entirely average weight-wise, so I wouldn't worry, but if you really want to lose it speak to a personal trainer. They will be able to tell you what exercises are best for you. Also remember that if you're gaining muscle tone, you won't lose as much because muscle weighs more than fat. If you're focused on exercise-motivate weightloss rather than diet focused weightloss, I would focus on getting the body shape you want rather than focusing on weight. You may be more surprised by how your body changes shape through regular exercise and a healthy diet.
One last thing, please don't resort to any silly diets. There is no magic pill and crash dieting doesn't work so keep going if this is what you want. Remember to stay in a healthy weight and don't let it take over your thoughts. Focus on being happy. Give it time.
Hope this helps!

Thank you for the advice, it was helpful. I think that what you said about making a list was a good point, I will do that :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest