The Student Room Group

Doing Full A Level in Sociology in one year

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by AmyPilot
I have just done AQA sociology A level but did it the traditional route over 2 years. If its the only subject you are doing it should be ok but reckon it would be hard work with other subjects too - lots of content to remember and 4 exams in one sitting - scary if you have others too. Though saying that I did do 4 subjects to A2 so I don't know ......

What A levels do you have already?

Good luck.

I'm doing Sociology only with no other A Levels. I already have two full A Levels in English Literature and English Language. I've heard from many people that the subject is more about essay technique, memorising loads of each theory with named writing. I already know about Marxism and Feminism, which I think is part of what you learn (but probably won't help too much) I suppose any A Level that you complete in a year won't be easy. What grade did you get? :smile:
I did sociology at A level over two years - there's so much content, and relies heavily on studies, up-to-date knowledge of international affairs (basically just watching the news and relating it to whatever you're writing about) and needs a lot of time and effort putting into it.
If you're willing to really work hard and go for a good grade, sociology is great :smile:
I haven't studied Media so I can't say much for that, but it depends on how you work best - exams or coursework.

Sociology exams are usually quite long (2 hours+) and at A2, 90% of the paper (if not more!) is essays.
If you prefer coursework, stick to the Media. If you're a quick-writer and are capable of applying your knowledge into different areas, choose sociology!
Original post by sophiejaz
I'm doing Sociology only with no other A Levels. I already have two full A Levels in English Literature and English Language. I've heard from many people that the subject is more about essay technique, memorising loads of each theory with named writing. I already know about Marxism and Feminism, which I think is part of what you learn (but probably won't help too much) I suppose any A Level that you complete in a year won't be easy. What grade did you get? :smile:

I did literature/language combined course rather than as separate subjects.

In A2 sociology there were 24 topics to learn and the exam asked you about 4 of them so a lot of the learning goes to waste lol. Marxism and feminism features very strongly - got Marxist stuff in AS and fem in A2. I got A*.

What do you want to study after at Uni - if that is your plan?
Reply 23
I did literature/language combined course rather than as separate subjects.

In A2 sociology there were 24 topics to learn and the exam asked you about 4 of them so a lot of the learning goes to waste lol. Marxism and feminism features very strongly - got Marxist stuff in AS and fem in A2. I got A*.

What do you want to study after at Uni - if that is your plan?

I learned quite a bit about Marxism and Feminism in English Literature and also heard quite a lot from my sister who studied Sociology. :smile: I think most exams go that way where you learn a years worth of knowledge, to be tested on a tiny amount through a 2 hour exam (oh the joys of our education system!) But well done on your grade, that's amazing! I guess you're the expert, haha.

My plan is that I want to study English Language. What about you? :smile:
Sociology is so boring, I'm gutted that I have to do another year of it :frown:
Reply 25
Original post by Katieitak
I did sociology at A level over two years - there's so much content, and relies heavily on studies, up-to-date knowledge of international affairs (basically just watching the news and relating it to whatever you're writing about) and needs a lot of time and effort putting into it.
If you're willing to really work hard and go for a good grade, sociology is great :smile:
I haven't studied Media so I can't say much for that, but it depends on how you work best - exams or coursework.

Sociology exams are usually quite long (2 hours+) and at A2, 90% of the paper (if not more!) is essays.
If you prefer coursework, stick to the Media. If you're a quick-writer and are capable of applying your knowledge into different areas, choose sociology!

Thanks for your advice! I usually do better in exams, but the only bonus of coursework is that you can correct it I guess. But I'm used to essay writing from doing English Language and English Literature, so I guess Sociology would suit me in some way? But yeah, it's 2 exams per year isn't it? :smile: Most people have been telling me to take Sociology over Media, I'm in a bit of a dilemma to be honest and I have to make a decision by tomorrow. :frown:
I learned quite a bit about Marxism and Feminism in English Literature and also heard quite a lot from my sister who studied Sociology. :smile: I think most exams go that way where you learn a years worth of knowledge, to be tested on a tiny amount through a 2 hour exam (oh the joys of our education system!) But well done on your grade, that's amazing! I guess you're the expert, haha.

My plan is that I want to study English Language. What about you? :smile:

Doing AS/A2 in one year you will have four of those pesky 2 hour exams! But seriously with a year to concentrate on one subject fully it shouldn't be a problem. I really liked the subject.

I am going to study psychology and speech pathology (speech therapy).

Good luck
Reply 27
Doing AS/A2 in one year you will have four of those pesky 2 hour exams! But seriously with a year to concentrate on one subject fully it shouldn't be a problem. I really liked the subject.

I am going to study psychology and speech pathology (speech therapy).

Good luck

Thanks for your optimistic words! That sounds amazing, which university? Good luck to you, no doubt you'll do great! :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by JamesJones777
Sociology is so boring, I'm gutted that I have to do another year of it :frown:

I'm getting so many mixed responses haha, and I'm so indecisive! I think Sociology will be easier to complete that Media Studies though. I'm guessing you're doing an extra year and resitting? :smile:
I'm getting so many mixed responses haha, and I'm so indecisive! I think Sociology will be easier to complete that Media Studies though. I'm guessing you're doing an extra year and resitting? :smile:

No I got a B last year at AS (would have got an A if we were actually taught how to answer the 30 marker that came up on family.) Sociology is the most dry subject ever (imo) I enjoyed the first two weeks and then wished I never chose it. Everyone except one girl hates Sociology.
Thanks for your optimistic words! That sounds amazing, which university? Good luck to you, no doubt you'll do great! :smile:

Not optimistic words - I did 4 subjects to A2 so I know the amount of work you are taking on, so I know for definite it is possible.

I am going to Manchester Metropolitan. Where are you hoping to go?
Thanks for your advice! I usually do better in exams, but the only bonus of coursework is that you can correct it I guess. But I'm used to essay writing from doing English Language and English Literature, so I guess Sociology would suit me in some way? But yeah, it's 2 exams per year isn't it? :smile: Most people have been telling me to take Sociology over Media, I'm in a bit of a dilemma to be honest and I have to make a decision by tomorrow. :frown:

You're welcome :smile:
Yes, I guess so - but the advantage of sociology is that you can kind of.. make it up as you go along, in a sense. Eg. If you can't remember a specific study to support whatever point you're making, just choose something you've seen on the news and link it! It's not really about facts, so there's no right or wrong answer.. In theory.

It is indeed, 2 exams per year. I couldn't tell you whether it would be similar to English, I did Sociology/Psychology/Biology/Maths :frown: The essays can range from 18-33 marks though, with the 33 marker requiring atleast 3 pages of writing within about.. an hour and a bit?

All I can suggest is that you choose the one you'll enjoy most - you're bound to get a better grade in the one you are happiest studying. Talk to as many people as you can on here that have studied both these subjects, and maybe enquire about the specific topics you'll be studying in each subject on your exam board.

:smile:
Reply 32
Not optimistic words - I did 4 subjects to A2 so I know the amount of work you are taking on, so I know for definite it is possible.

I am going to Manchester Metropolitan. Where are you hoping to go?

I want to go to Newcastle, fingers crossed! :yy:
I want to go to Newcastle, fingers crossed! :yy:

Good luck for Newcastle and for making the right decision for you :smile:
Reply 34
Original post by Katieitak
You're welcome :smile:
Yes, I guess so - but the advantage of sociology is that you can kind of.. make it up as you go along, in a sense. Eg. If you can't remember a specific study to support whatever point you're making, just choose something you've seen on the news and link it! It's not really about facts, so there's no right or wrong answer.. In theory.

It is indeed, 2 exams per year. I couldn't tell you whether it would be similar to English, I did Sociology/Psychology/Biology/Maths :frown: The essays can range from 18-33 marks though, with the 33 marker requiring atleast 3 pages of writing within about.. an hour and a bit?

All I can suggest is that you choose the one you'll enjoy most - you're bound to get a better grade in the one you are happiest studying. Talk to as many people as you can on here that have studied both these subjects, and maybe enquire about the specific topics you'll be studying in each subject on your exam board.

:smile:

My gut feeling is that I'm going to choose Sociology, but knowing how indecisive I am, I'll probably change my mind by tomorrow. I suppose it's my last chance really and I have to get it right! I couldn't face doing a further year on top of that! But again, thanks so much, you've been really helpful. :smile:
Reply 35
Good luck for Newcastle and for making the right decision for you :smile:

Thanks, good luck to you also. :smile:
I already have two A Levels at good grades and I only need one more. I don't want to be stuck for another 2 years for just one more A Level. The sixth form I'm at have enrolled me on for a full A Level in a year in Media, HOWEVER, I'm getting a lot of comments from people saying that Media Studies will be a struggle due to the heavy amount of coursework involved, so I'm thinking about asking to change to an exam based one and the one I'm thinking about doing it Sociology. Has anybody done this before? I'd love to know. Also, this would be the only subject I'd be concentrating on and they'd put me into AS and A2 classes. Thanks!

What have you already achieved in your other two A level grades if you don't mind saying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Original post by lozasaurus99
What have you already achieved in your other two A level grades if you don't mind saying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

At AS I got an A in English Language and a B in English Literature, this year I've ended up with BB, but I'm resitting English Language A2 to try and get an A since that's what I got in the AS year.
I already have two A Levels at good grades and I only need one more. I don't want to be stuck for another 2 years for just one more A Level. The sixth form I'm at have enrolled me on for a full A Level in a year in Media, HOWEVER, I'm getting a lot of comments from people saying that Media Studies will be a struggle due to the heavy amount of coursework involved, so I'm thinking about asking to change to an exam based one and the one I'm thinking about doing it Sociology. Has anybody done this before? I'd love to know. Also, this would be the only subject I'd be concentrating on and they'd put me into AS and A2 classes. Thanks!

Did you do only Sociology this year or with some other A2's aswell? How are you finding Sociology in one year? :smile:

I might do it but with two other A2's next year :smile:
Reply 39
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
Did you do only Sociology this year or with some other A2's aswell? How are you finding Sociology in one year? :smile:

I might do it but with two other A2's next year :smile:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest