The Student Room Group

Help understanding UMS marks?

Hey what does UMS mean. I got 100 UMS marks in physics, is that full marks?

I'm doing the OCR 21 century science

is 'mark equiv' the same as UMS Marks, because I kind of assumed so. Sorry for misleading you if it's not.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Questioness
Hey what does UMS mean. I got 100 UMS marks in physics, is that full marks?

It depends on how many UMS were available for the unit. It does not necessarily mean you got full marks (indeed, if this is GCSE Physics it almost certainly doesn't) but it means that on paper, assuming that there are 100UMS available in total, you've effectively got 100%. What specification are you doing?
(edited 9 years ago)
[h="2"]What is UMS?[/h]The Uniform Mark Scale (UMS) is a way of turning the raw marks achieved in a unit in a particular sitting into a mark that can be used to compare with those achieved in other series.
The UMS balances out differences between exams and is a way of making sure people get the correct grade, no matter when they took a particular unit. UMS marks from all the units are then added together to give you an overall mark for your qualification.
Let's say, for example, that Chris takes an exam for a particular unit in January while Ali takes that unit in June. Because the exam questions will be different between the January and June sittings, it is possible that one exam might be slightly more difficult than the other.
If both students got a raw mark of 42/50 on their exams, but the June exam was more difficult than the January sitting, then their marks wouldn't represent the same level of achievement. The UMS mark would reflect this.

Source: http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/about-results/uniform-mark-scale

Quick Reply

Latest