The Student Room Group

What is the first thing that comes to a guys mind when he approaches a random girl?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Temporality
Oh I thought people might have a reason for approaching you, like quite often when guys approach it is to help me and i genuinely thought that they might be wanting to help me. E.g. like adjusting the strap on my bag, picking up my earplugs that have fallen out, trying to help me with the way I am using equippment at the gym. But now I come to think of it, maybe they did just want something :s-smilie:. That's sad.

Nah not necessarily true. If I see someone in needs I'll try and help if it's a viable option. If it's someone I think is hot, all the better to get a conversation started! haha. Nothing wrong with it, that's how it all works.

Original post by tillytots
No, it's an uncomfortable situation and even acknowledging them i could be putting myself in danger

Wtf, you aren't serious, right? "Danger", lmao...
No, it's an uncomfortable situation and even acknowledging them i could be putting myself in danger

haha didnt you go interrailing alone :P

but yet talked to people yeh met! oh the irony!!:biggrin:

look lads..girls will want this and that...theyll complain if yeh dont approach...if yeh do approach.just forget what they think and do what yeh like while being a decent person.
itl work out in the end dont worry
Ignore him

So you wouldn't even say a few words just so he doesn't feel rejected. Like nice weather, yes it is. simple, no hurt feelings.
Original post by Temporality
Oh I thought people might have a reason for approaching you, like quite often when guys approach it is to help me and i genuinely thought that they might be wanting to help me. E.g. like adjusting the strap on my bag, picking up my earplugs that have fallen out, trying to help me with the way I am using equippment at the gym. But now I come to think of it, maybe they did just want something :s-smilie:. That's sad.

Adjusting the bag strap? That's a bit suspect. Unless you were struggling for 10 minutes with equipment then i wouldn't help :smile: Ear plugs? well i would only pick them up if they were behind you and you didn't notice.

And that's the problem with this society, that's why shy people stop at their first bout of confidence to say hello to a girl. You could at least smile say thanks and make an excuse to do something else.
Actually people who get angry are the ones that get ignored.
Reply 25
The truth imo is when a person approaches us we should not think he has some intention in his mind for approaching a person of opposite gender.
But if there is some intention, then obviously i agree you the boy, OP.

But in my opinion, I realise that guys do not unnecessarily approach girls without a purpose. There is a purpose. They don't have to approach a girl for no reason. They could approach guys themselves for no reasons and to chat.
If a guy is approaching a random girl then, there is definitely a reason!
Original post by trustmeimlying1
haha didnt you go interrailing alone :P

but yet talked to people yeh met! oh the irony!!:biggrin:

look lads..girls will want this and that...theyll complain if yeh dont approach...if yeh do approach.just forget what they think and do what yeh like while being a decent person.
itl work out in the end dont worry

In hostels, if a guy approached me in the street I'd walk away.

Seriously? How would you be in 'danger'?
In hostels, if a guy approached me in the street I'd walk away.

see tis just strange...girls can be..a little in dreamland.
anyhow enjoy your day tilly
Original post by CRW1996

Could be mugged,raped dragged away and killed. Are you honestly telling me if someone approached you or followed you you wouldn't think they had an ulterior motive?
I am #*@@%£ she would reject me and %£*% like that

Posted from TSR Mobile
To be honest, if a guy purely wanted to make friends, and if they had no alternative in mind whatsoever, then why is it that guys don't approach guys???? They have male friends too. But no, they ask girls, so clearly there's a little more to it than making friends.

When I go out looking awful, no one approaches me. When I go out wearing a dress or if I have nice hair, or both, guys suddenly want to make friends.

Also, I get that you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, but from all the years I have been approached, only two have been from guys who approached me in a nice and polite manner, without intimidating me, and yes they did get my number. For example one of the guys was on the tube opposite me, he started smiling at me, and said I looked pretty. And we spoke for a bit about where we were going etc and then he asked if I minded if he could sit next to me, to which I said I didn't mind. So there is a way to go about it, but for some reason, most guys tend to go in with all guns blazing, then wonder why they got rejected.

Original post by CRW1996

One guy approached me about 6 weeks ago, it was about 10.45pm and said if I could help him with his car. I just sort of looked at him like "what?" and he showed me where his car was. It was literally right there, so I thought I may as well see what the problem was, maybe I could help. Then he says he "would rather ask a woman to help" and then I straight away looked at him (because if anyone would ask for help with a car, stereotypically, they would ask a male). And then when I did look up, I saw some other random guy across the road staring at us and smiling at him. Not just a friendly smile, but a smile that suggested they knew each other. I bolted at that point. Clearly there were two of them and there was something planned. I ran to my car, and jumped in, and to get home, I had to double back on myself and drive down that same road, of which his car was not there with both him and his friend gone. Clearly, there was nothing wrong with his car.

There are so many horror stories of women being kidnapped in the back of a van or gone missing, or found dead, so excuse me for being cautious with regards to speaking to someone.

I really really don't believe that you should speak to someone, find out how they are, what they are about and make a decision because if something bad happens, you don't have the luxury of that time to figure out if they are a good or bad guy. That's why I rely a lot on what someone looks like ( not only with regards to physical looks but also how they approach me and how they carry/conduct themselves) to judge if I want to continue the conversation.
(edited 9 years ago)
Could be mugged,raped dragged away and killed. Are you honestly telling me if someone approached you or followed you you wouldn't think they had an ulterior motive?

Following someone is completely different. If someone approached in a public area with people around you, none of these 'dangers' will be present. Do you still ignore them?

Some people may approach you because they think your attractive and want to get to know you. Some men are genuinely nice people you know...
Original post by stargirl63
To be honest, if a guy purely wanted to make friends, and if they had no alternative in mind whatsoever, then why is it that guys don't approach guys???? They have male friends too. But no, they ask girls, so clearly there's a little more to it than making friends.

When I go out looking awful, no one approaches me. When I go out wearing a dress or if I have nice hair, or both, guys suddenly want to make friends.

Also, I get that you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, but from all the years I have been approached, only two have been from guys who approached me in a nice and polite manner, without intimidating me, and yes they did get my number. For example one of the guys was on the tube opposite me, he started smiling at me, and said I looked pretty. And we spoke for a bit about where we were going etc and then he asked if I minded if he could sit next to me, to which I said I didn't mind. So there is a way to go about it, but for some reason, most guys tend to go in with all guns blazing, then wonder why they got rejected.

One guy approached me about 6 weeks ago, it was about 10.45pm and said if I could help him with his car. I just sort of looked at him like "what?" and he showed me where his car was. It was literally right there, so I thought I may as well see what the problem was, maybe I could help. Then he says he "would rather ask a woman to help" and then I straight away looked at him (because if anyone would ask for help with a car, stereotypically, they would ask a male). And then when I did look up, I saw some other random guy across the road staring at us and smiling at him. Not just a friendly smile, but a smile that suggested they knew each other. I bolted at that point. Clearly there were two of them and there was something planned. I ran to my car, and jumped in, and to get home, I had to double back on myself and drive down that same road, of which his car was not there with both him and his friend gone. Clearly, there was nothing wrong with his car.

There are so many horror stories of women being kidnapped in the back of a van or gone missing, or found dead, so excuse me for being cautious with regards to speaking to someone.

I really really don't believe that you should speak to someone, find out how they are, what they are about and make a decision because if something bad happens, you don't have the luxury of that time to figure out if they are a good or bad guy. That's why I rely a lot on what someone looks like ( not only with regards to physical looks but also how they approach me and how they carry/conduct themselves) to judge if I want to continue the conversation.

There are certain scenarios where you could be in 'danger'. If you were on your own and no others were around. The original post I replied said she would ignore anyone that approached her. There are so many scenarios where there is no danger like a pub, club, in a town centre etc...
Original post by CRW1996
Following someone is completely different. If someone approached in a public area with people around you, none of these 'dangers' will be present. Do you still ignore them?

Some people may approach you because they think your attractive and want to get to know you. Some men are genuinely nice people you know...

Still means nothing to me I'm speaking from previous experiences. I did acknowledge someone once and it turned out terrible so I stick my ground on it from now on. I don't doubt some people are genuinely nice, I just don't see what comes from it anyway... you don't know the person you're approaching so it's just going to end up awkward? What's the point? So much better to do things in a social setting rather than in a street.
Original post by CRW1996
There are certain scenarios where you could be in 'danger'. If you were on your own and no others were around. The original post I replied said she would ignore anyone that approached her. There are so many scenarios where there is no danger like a pub, club, in a town centre etc...

No, she was addressing that if someone approached you in a street, see the next post below.

Still means nothing to me I'm speaking from previous experiences. I did acknowledge someone once and it turned out terrible so I stick my ground on it from now on. I don't doubt some people are genuinely nice, I just don't see what comes from it anyway... you don't know the person you're approaching so it's just going to end up awkward? What's the point? So much better to do things in a social setting rather than in a street.

Usually guys don't tend to approach when anyone else is around anyway, I guess they feel less nervous if it's just 1-2-1 conversing.

A social setting would genuinely be fine. The key is to not be in an intimating situation, to which usually social settings are fine.
Original post by stargirl63
No, she was addressing that if someone approached you in a street, see the next post below.

Usually guys don't tend to approach when anyone else is around anyway, I guess they feel less nervous if it's just 1-2-1 conversing.

A social setting would genuinely be fine. The key is to not be in an intimating situation, to which usually social settings are fine.

She said that after I said my reply. Even on the street it isn't always 'dangerous'.
Original post by CRW1996
She said that after I said my reply. Even on the street it isn't always 'dangerous'.

Correct. It's not always dangerous. However, given how many girls who disappear on a daily basis,

How do I know that this time is or isn't dangerous? I don't. I don't know them, they don't know me. I approach the situation as a worst case scenario. I used to think that going out during night time was the deal breaker, however people go missing in broad daylight nowadays.

I'm not going to put myself in the position that out of the 100 guys who have approached me (as an example, I don't think I have been approached by 100 guys) one of them could be dangerous. Funnily enough, it's not a risk I am willing to take.
Reply 38
Original post by adamf9780
So me and my girlfriend are having this debate. She thinks most of the time guys will come and say hi to a girl and the only thing that will be on their mind is having a friendly conversation and nothing more. However I think that the main reason a guy would go and say hi to a random girl whilst out is to start flirting/chatting her up and hoping he would get somewhere?
Just wanted to know who you think is right ? :wink:

Depnds on teh guy and the situation, i personally do both

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending