The Student Room Group

Looking for MSc Behavioural Economics/Economic Psychology

I'm looking for MSc courses in Behavioural Economics or Economic Psychology, but finding very few such courses in the UK. I've found that Stirling, Warwick, Essex, City and Nottingham offer them, but with the exception of Stirling, they all seem to want an undergrad degree in Economics.

I have a First in Psychology and my A Levels are in Accounting and Pure Maths -if it would help my application I'm happy to do an additional A Level in Economics this year.
I loved the Economic Psych and statistics modules during my degree, and the more I read up on this discipline the more I'm convinced it's a good fit for me... can anyone suggest other universities which might be offering the same/similar courses under a different name please?

Edit: the Stirling course looks great, but I'd quite like to have another uni or two to apply to rather than pin all my hopes on it and be disappointed.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
You pretty much list the established Behavioural Economics programmes. Sometimes it is also known as Experimental Econ. See UEA, Durham. Good luck
Reply 2
Thanks, I was actually REALLY hoping there's another very popular name for it that I might have missed :tongue: Kept looking at my list and thinking "seriously, that can't be all?"

Bit disappointing to think I might not have a very good chance, but better to find out now than somehow get onto a course and realise I'm in out of my depth.
Reply 3
You got the mainstream term correct with Behavioural Economics. If you go to EconLit, Idea or Wiki, you will find the term Behavioural Economics. Sometimes it is used in subjects such as Behavioural Finance or Neuro-Economics (lots of lab-based experiments).

You can contact programme manager to establish if you fulfil requirements. If not, enquire about Econ classes you can take at local college to enhance your application. Good luck

Fact is, Behavioural Economics as independent course can only be found at a few unis.
Reply 4
Nottingham do an Economics conversion course (one year, graduate diploma) that you can apply for with a 2:1 in any discipline. The fact that you've already got a foundation in statistics and behavioral economics would help your application.

Of course it is an extra year of study and tuition fees, but Nottingham is quite highly ranked for Economics and you could progress onto their MSc in behavioral econ.
Reply 5
Original post by Tcannon
You got the mainstream term correct with Behavioural Economics. If you go to EconLit, Idea or Wiki, you will find the term Behavioural Economics. Sometimes it is used in subjects such as Behavioural Finance or Neuro-Economics (lots of lab-based experiments).

You can contact programme manager to establish if you fulfil requirements. If not, enquire about Econ classes you can take at local college to enhance your application. Good luck

Fact is, Behavioural Economics as independent course can only be found at a few unis.

I actually didn't believe it was such a scarce course when a lecturer mentioned it... seems like quite a pity.

Original post by frith27
Nottingham do an Economics conversion course (one year, graduate diploma) that you can apply for with a 2:1 in any discipline. The fact that you've already got a foundation in statistics and behavioral economics would help your application.

Of course it is an extra year of study and tuition fees, but Nottingham is quite highly ranked for Economics and you could progress onto their MSc in behavioral econ.

Thanks, will look into it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending