The Student Room Group

'Beauty is a state of mind'

Scroll to see replies

"Beauty is a state of mind" Yes.

Everything we think is a state of mind.
It's why people who get high are in a calm "state of mind".

End of thread/.

Edit just read this was in the "philosophy" section, please do continue.
Original post by Guren
"Beauty is a state of mind" Yes.

Everything we think is a state of mind.
It's why people who get high are in a calm "state of mind".

End of thread/.

Edit just read this was in the "philosophy" section, please do continue.

It's quite funny how arrogant you're being because your interpretation of the phrase 'beauty is a state of mind' isn't even correct.
You said everything we think is a state of mind... but we don't think 'beauty'.
The statement is saying people can possess a beauty of the mind, as opposed to a beauty of the appearance, which is subject to debate, and yes, it is subject to philosophical debate.

If people find that philosophical debate interesting, no one's saying you have to join in. You can mind your own business and we can mind ours. There is no need to make disparaging remarks about a whole discipline.
Original post by Temporality
It's quite funny how arrogant you're being because your interpretation of the phrase 'beauty is a state of mind' isn't even correct.
You said everything we think is a state of mind... but we don't think 'beauty'.
The statement is saying people can possess a beauty of the mind, as opposed to a beauty of the appearance, which is subject to debate, and yes, it is subject to philosophical debate.

If people find that philosophical debate interesting, no one's saying you have to join in. You can mind your own business and we can mind ours. There is no need to make disparaging remarks about a whole discipline.

Calm down there is no need to be so defensive and don't assume i'm being "arrogant" either, because i'll assume you're being a judgmental pin head.
I enjoy philosophy and have nothing against it, it came up under "chat" when I clicked on it and so I replied quickly like most chat threads. If I had read it was philosophy I would have given a much more coherent and well structured response so I would have avoided remarks such as yours.

Back to the topic. "The statement is saying people can possess a beauty of the mind, as opposed to a beauty of the appearance, which is subject to debate"
Yes that's called "admiration" you can admire anyone or anything if you like it.
Reply 43
Beauty is both what societies construct as the ideals of attractiveness and what is in the eye of the beholder. The beauty of life is where the beholder disagrees with society; not everyone achieves this, indeed it is the collective will to suppress that (I'm looking at you, media).
Original post by Riku
Beauty is both what societies construct as the ideals of attractiveness and what is in the eye of the beholder. The beauty of life is where the beholder disagrees with society; not everyone achieves this, indeed it is the collective will to suppress that (I'm looking at you, media).

What do you mean by the beauty of life?
Anyone agree or disagree that beauty is a state of mind? Or is it an external state?

I would say that "beauty is a state of mind" in the sense that something is only beautiful if there is a mind to appreciate it and consider it to be beautiful. A picturesque landscape for example, is only "beautiful" because some of us happen to appreciate that sort of scenery. Its beauty is not actually its own, but a quality of the mind that observes it. It might be very ugly from the point of view of a different mind. In an objective sense it's just some trees and hills.
Reply 46
What do you mean by the beauty of life?

Beauty is an aesthetic encoded into our mind as a result of indoctrination into cultural symbolism, and an abstract ideal towards the unattainable perfection of elusive divinity.

The very fact I can't describe life's beauty in one sentence exemplifies it. If I had to try…the beauty of life is its wonder. (I'm a sleepy rambling poet today :tongue:)
For many people, beauty is largely habitual comfort.

People invent personality flaws in those whose looks or manners do not comfort them.
Original post by Nogoodsorgods
For many people, beauty is largely habitual comfort.

People invent personality flaws in those whose looks or manners do not comfort them.

Sorry what do you mean by habitual comfort
It is internal and external. More weighted on internal beauty though
Sorry what do you mean by habitual comfort

Most simply, in a place with a lot of thin people, a fat person might be deemed either ugly or pitiable- if they are neither a motherly / fatherly type (or not wanted as one).

In a place with a lot of fat people, a thin person might be deemed ugly by virtue of trying too hard / not looking like they enjoy themselves or out of sheer malice / envy.

If the minority is not in a large way helpful to the majority, the majority sometimes imagines flaws in the minority.

There is no fairness to it. It's just the circumstance of environment, social groups, upbringing, influences, lack of thought, ego, cowardice, selfishness.

Hence some beautiful people die very young through bringing about their early death, especially if their personality is beautiful with their looks. 'The innocent can never last'. The majority don't necessarily let it.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending