The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

OK, heres a better question then ... since Magistrates are, in effect, judges ... would you ever have a 19 yr old judge?
Reply 21
Lewis-HuStuJCR
since Magistrates are, in effect, judges ... would you ever have a 19 yr old judge?

Magistrates are not Judges.

Least of all in "effect" !!!! - You're wrong. Although a similar position... They are vastly different in so many ways.

It is therefore absolutely pointless in even addressing such a flawed point.
Dreama
Magistrates are not Judges.

Least of all in "effect" !!!! - You're wrong. Although a similar position... They are vastly different in so many ways.

It is therefore absolutely pointless in even addressing such a flawed point.

Yep.
Crikey sorry, got in from Zouk at 4am and wrote that (was Groove Armada, brilliant!) ... erroneous.
won't be seeing u on today then :smile:
Well lets just say that I spent a long time in bed, but now that its 1am ... I feel its time to resurface :biggrin:.
wow...that clubs world famous...how was it?
Pretty damn sweet... read the bottom line of my facebook thing and it should indicate to you just quite how drunk I was, it was one of those "girl vs mates" scenarios and the mates won, I have to stop letting that happen...
sounds mint...i was wondering why u didn't go with the lass LOL. thought it may have been the urge to go on TSR lol. so how much exactly did u drink...if u can remmember lol
it was one of those we drank vodka before we left, got 2 free drinks when we went into the club and then bought jugs of vodka (Which in singapore is not cheap...)
i presume there was lot of fit lasses like lol. i wouldn't really have just concentrated on getting smashed. going off a tangent lol..this is meant to be a law forum 2 lol/
yeah the "talent" was relatively good, although you have to be careful here there are ALOT of prostitutes in clubs.

anyway yeah, back to the original discussion...
Reply 32
RR
Why would you want to be a magistrate at 19? I mean, eww. That's like the sort of thing you do when you retire.

:lolz:
yeah i agree with that point there... at 19 year old u've got many years ahead of ya 2 go to uni etc and the inexperience would be a factor 2..will be better if u actually went through the educational system lyk every1 else.
But the whole point of Magistrates is that they are "respected laymen of the community" is it not? So that they can exercise a sound discretion...

(that was always my udnerstanding)
The age/experience debate - it is most definitely something I do NOT subscribe to. There are some old folk who don't have an ounce of experience of the "real world" upon which to draw. There are massess of older folk who do NOT learn from their experiences and there are a good deal of younge, even VERY young people wise beyond their yeas, who have experienced much and LEARNED from those expeirences. Now I am not going to get involved in the individual merits of this particular case - I just want to dicuss the AGE/EXPERIENCE issue.

This is an issue that receives a lot of attention and provokes a lot of heated debate within the fire service - should new recruits with only a few months service be wearing breathing apparatus/going to persons reported house or flat fires? Their personal duties will be to a) ensure their own safety and the safety of their partner b) recognise the signs and symptoms of flashover, backdraught, building collapse etc and c) search for and rescue persons in that fire... do young, inexperienced firefighters have "the necessary" to do that???? Now, as I say - it provokes a great deal of heated debate. My own take on it is YES and NO. It is far from a black & white criteria!

I have partnered some guys with 20 years service who may have experienced much but in actual fact they repeatedly make the same mistakes and/or haven't learned a thing from their expeirences.

I've also worked with guys who have 20 years service - most if not all of it at quiet stations and thier personal experience doesn't match that of a 2 year probationer at a busy station.

We recently received a brand new probationer who performed FAR AND ABOVE any expectations I, or anybody, could reasonably had of him - at ALL incidents. The type of guy you only had to tell once - the type of guy that could work on his own intiative despite not having worked in a similar field or role ever before. And he is not alone - I've worked with folk like him on many ocassions...

And many a time we have had folk detache din from quiet stations with years upon years under their belt - but were those years "experience" or just time served?

And we've had new recruits pushing 30 who have worked in industry etc - sometimes in responsible, practical, leadership postions - but they haven't had a clue.

Age and experience is NOT the be all and end all by any means.

I often think back to something called the "Safe As Houses" report... a report commissioned by the governement in the mid '90s... it formed the blueprint for the reforms (BAD REFORMS) that are currently happening in the service. After reading a few pages of this report I looked at the team that had compiled it and i realised why it was (in my opinion, I hasten to add) UTTER GARBAGE! It had been compiled by Lord this and Lord That - the chief exectutive of a huge supermarket chain etc... PEOPLE OUT OF TOUCH WITH THE REAL WORLD. And these people were "telling it how it is", saying "this is what our communities need from a fire service".... I discussed these findings with my drinking mates - who range in age from under 18 through to 70+ - and not ONE COULD AGREE WITH THEIR FINDINGS OR CONCLUSIONS!

Real world experience counts for a great deal. The further up the chain you get, the older you get the MORE OUT OF TOUCH YOU GET, The more you draw your experience from THE MEDIA.

Young people are oftne the most streetwise, most in touch with the real world, most IDEALSITIC and less tainted by corruption and greed etc.

As i sad, i don't really want to be drawn on the individual case - but on the whole I have nothing against a 19year old becoming a magistrate. If you're good enough, you're old enough - it's more about the selection process than age!
Reply 36
RR
Why would you want to be a magistrate at 19? I mean, eww. That's like the sort of thing you do when you retire.

That's most probably the point. A high proportion of one social group is never going to be representative of society...
Just thinking 19 year olds are old and mature enough to go to Iraq and get blown to bits. Sorry to put it unpleasantly but u catch my drift. That really would take a lot of maturity to stand behind one of those walls and keep shooting at the target with all that sweaty equipment on, being fired at. So they kind of earnt their right to represent the community which they made significant contribution to.

Sorry been watching too much News 24 this week- oh yer, NHS should warn people they can react to the MMR jab for uni with violent sickness and dizziness. Yes I've been doing sod all lately.

Latest

Trending

Trending