The Student Room Group

Shaving head at home

I've decided to shave my head bald at home. Does anybody do this and has anyone got any tips?

I've tried to find a few videos but there is only videos of people doing it with no instructions. I'm guessing I just take a electric razor to my head and let loose?

Will be interesting to see what it looks like considering I've never had a bald head.
I think the reason those videos have no instructions is because they are pretty self explanatory. Just clipper the whole of your head, not hard...
Original post by mattwilkins
I think the reason those videos have no instructions is because they are pretty self explanatory. Just clipper the whole of your head, not hard...

Nah man, its a whole lot more difficult than that, you need a degree in how to an electric razor! :P
Original post by Jay018
Nah man, its a whole lot more difficult than that, you need a degree in how to an electric razor! :P

Haha! I was going to upvote this but it won't let me because apparently I've upvoted too many of your posts recently!
Don't use an electric razor, use a proper one.

Wash your head first with warm water, put the shaving foam on and shave with the grain and then against. It is very easy to cut yourself by the way and be prepared for your head to sting for the next day or two.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Don't use an electric razor, use a proper one.

Wash your head first with warm water, put the shaving foam on and shave with the grain and then against. It is very easy to cut yourself by the way and be prepared for your head to sting for the next day or two.

Okay thanks for the first useful response. Is there any way of minimising the stinging?
Original post by TSA
Okay thanks for the first useful response. Is there any way of minimising the stinging?

Not really. You get used to it though.

Do you shave your head at home?

I did it. Bathroom is a mess, decided not to use the manual razor because I didn't want it completely gone. But it's still pretty much bald with no itching. :redface:

The new look takes a little getting use to though, but happy with it.
Not had hair for 20 years now.

Always shaved using a Gillette razor, currently using the Fusion one.

If you have lots of hair and fairly thick hair, you might be better off using some clippers first or if someone is around get them to help you with a pair of scissors.

After that wet your scalp and apply a bit of shampoo or liquid soap or shaving cream.

Then use a razor for a smooth finish.
always do 3 checks, visual in a mirror, touch with your hands, then get someone to have a once over. This way you should avoid leaving and patches or stray hairs.
Original post by TSA
I did it. Bathroom is a mess, decided not to use the manual razor because I didn't want it completely gone. But it's still pretty much bald with no itching. :redface:

The new look takes a little getting use to though, but happy with it.

Check behind your ears - that's the bit everyone misses
Original post by Joinedup
Check behind your ears - that's the bit everyone misses

Took another look there was a bit on the sideburns that I missed. :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest