The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CMMcy
You informed us yesterday that they actually use the full UKCAT score.

If you look at the data given in the above source it seems that by taking the extreme possibilities the range becomes 3260-4190.

For cutoff, someone with UKCAT 3000 would require AAA at A2 (how many of the applicants scored 3000+ is another matter) and to be in the top end one would require 5 or 6 A* at A2 . Does not seem quite right to me.Does this for instance mean that the majority of applicants scored well below 4190?

This is just the data I got from them. It's only relevant for internationals. Unfortunately they didn't publish each individual student's ukcat and ucas tariff combo. They just listed the values in ascending order.

To be honest, no amount of data analysis will give us a clear answer. I just thought I'd share whatever data I'd get because the admissions procedure is anything but transparent.

I think im just going to stop freaking out about numbers and just distract myself until December. Whatever happens happens :smile:
Original post by In Transience
I know its a rather stupid question to be asking, but on a scale of 1 to 10 exactly how rigorous would you say the course is ? :colondollar:

Hmm, no its a good question. Certainly it's a lot of hard work, right from day 1, as the teaching is quite fast paced and features a lot of content... and it's not just lecture revision: there's also PBL independent learning to do, GP placements, and SSC work. In that sense, relative to A-Levels, I'd say 7/10; but put the work in though and its still manageable, mind you. :smile:
Hey Guys,

I applied last year and was rejected pre-interview. SO I 'm applying again. One my friends there now has contact with second years and they have told me a bit about the application process. Basically you need a total of 1400 in combined ukcat and ucas tariff score this year to get an interview. So basically I got 850 in my UKCAT and I feel like I'm gonna get it, dunno about you guys but I wish you luck.
Reply 183
Original post by george1996
Hey Guys,

I applied last year and was rejected pre-interview. SO I 'm applying again. One my friends there now has contact with second years and they have told me a bit about the application process. Basically you need a total of 1400 in combined ukcat and ucas tariff score this year to get an interview. So basically I got 850 in my UKCAT and I feel like I'm gonna get it, dunno about you guys but I wish you luck.

It's a bit under 1400 if you look at the stats given in 2014 admission data. In any case because the UKCAT average is lower this year, I imagine the overall will be a tad lower too. I'm assessed solely on 762.5 Ukcat score because I'm EuropeanBac so hopefully I get one! Good luck!
Reply 184
Hey Guys,

In last years threads this number was around 1300. In post12 below link, I analysed part of scores for you
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2934601

I expect that this year cutoff will be around 1300,perhaps a little lower. However I must point out that in one of earlier messages another applicant claimed that they will use the full ukcat. They might have changed their algorithim this year.
Has anyone got any interviews from Barts yet? All the other unis are starting to send interviews out. Getting kinda scared...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Debo1996
Has anyone got any interviews from Barts yet? All the other unis are starting to send interviews out. Getting kinda scared...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Last year, Barts didn't start until early-mid December so I wouldn't worry. Although they started with rejections first and then gave out interviews :tongue:
Reply 187

Posted from TSR Mobile

They only interview in January + February so theres no need for them to rush it now. Most of the universities sending out invites have started their interview process.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I called them yesterday and they said they'll be sending out interview invites around Christmas time..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 189
Original post by Muhaha_6
I called them yesterday and they said they'll be sending out interview invites around Christmas time..

Posted from TSR Mobile

well that'll either be a nice christmas present / ruin someone's festive mood haha
Hey Guys,

1400 is a bit high don't you think? More people have messed up UKCAT this year than usual.

I got 745 UKCAT, and 630 ucas points (all a-level). It theoretically favours those with high IB scores...pretty pathetic if you're correct (I don't think you are though).
Reply 191
Original post by solarplexus
1400 is a bit high don't you think? More people have messed up UKCAT this year than usual.

I got 745 UKCAT, and 630 ucas points (all a-level). It theoretically favours those with high IB scores...pretty pathetic if you're correct (I don't think you are though).

Original post by MLeach
It's a bit under 1400 if you look at the stats given in 2014 admission data. In any case because the UKCAT average is lower this year, I imagine the overall will be a tad lower too. I'm assessed solely on 762.5 Ukcat score because I'm EuropeanBac so hopefully I get one! Good luck!

Pretty much how i responded. It'll be roughly 1300ish I imagine if its the same UKCAT average + tariff score combo and not another algorithmic formula.
Original post by MLeach
Pretty much how i responded. It'll be roughly 1300ish I imagine if its the same UKCAT average + tariff score combo and not another algorithmic formula.

yeah that's what I thought 1300 is enough in terms of a reasonable cutoff (and good enough for me)...this guy is a scaremonger obvs.

u got any other interviews yet? I know that all london schools take ages (except st georges)...
Reply 193
yeah that's what I thought 1300 is enough in terms of a reasonable cutoff (and good enough for me)...this guy is a scaremonger obvs.

u got any other interviews yet? I know that all london schools take ages (except st georges)...

Hopefully it will be. Like I said, considering I'm only assessed on UKCAT, I like to think I've a good chance and you do too.

Nah I'm a European Student (European Bac) so we get seem to be interviewed later on. Still nothing. What about yourself? I remember you from last year I think haha.

I cannot believe its as simple as adding UCAS and UKCAT points together. Do you really believe that a ballet/horse riding/music exam is worth the same as an extra A level or 70 points extra on the UKCAT? They state that the minimum UCAS points (460?) was academic only. There must be a complicated algorithm. They suggest that it hard to pick up the points with less than 4 A levels but this year the UKCAT scores are down. I think it's more likely that a UKCAT score of 670+ coupled with 4 decent A level predictions or some extra points from elsewhere.
Original post by Flybynight18
I cannot believe its as simple as adding UCAS and UKCAT points together. Do you really believe that a ballet/horse riding/music exam is worth the same as an extra A level or 70 points extra on the UKCAT? They state that the minimum UCAS points (460?) was academic only. There must be a complicated algorithm. They suggest that it hard to pick up the points with less than 4 A levels but this year the UKCAT scores are down. I think it's more likely that a UKCAT score of 670+ coupled with 4 decent A level predictions or some extra points from elsewhere.

yeah i know about all these horse riding exams and 'diplomas' - pathetic to be fair...plus most are predicted...I got away without doing 4 a levels though..quite a lot of med applicants do loads of stuff academically

3A*s at A2, 2 more As at AS, A* in EPQ, A in FSMQ = only 630 points......
Original post by MLeach
Hopefully it will be. Like I said, considering I'm only assessed on UKCAT, I like to think I've a good chance and you do too.

Nah I'm a European Student (European Bac) so we get seem to be interviewed later on. Still nothing. What about yourself? I remember you from last year I think haha.

yeah hahaha your name sounds familiar
Do they accept General Studies as a contribution to the UCAS points total? If not, I only score 340. I feel as though I'm getting punished for not taking an extra A-level at the age of 16, 6 years ago.
Original post by Carlos.D
Do they accept General Studies as a contribution to the UCAS points total? If not, I only score 340. I feel as though I'm getting punished for not taking an extra A-level at the age of 16, 6 years ago.

Yes, they do accept it as a part of the tariff.

Are you a graduate? If so, you're only ranked on your ukcat.
Oh, thank god. Sorry, it's because I followed the link for this thread through a post on the GEM 2014 thread. Time for a coffee.

Latest

Trending

Trending