The Student Room Group

Is it bad that i don't want to date 'dumb' people

Scroll to see replies

It's perfectly acceptable I guess
For a post all about intelligence, it grieves me to see that every 'I' is replaced by an 'i'.
Original post by Architecture-er
Not at all, I actively discriminate based on intelligence / maturity

Completely off topic but in case you didn't realize

Make it a special one....

To answer OP, nah not at all - in some ways intelligence is personality and everyone has different ideas of a perfect personality
Original post by AdamCee
Completely off topic but in case you didn't realize

Make it a special one....

To answer OP, nah not at all - in some ways intelligence is personality and everyone has different ideas of a perfect personality

Inactive link, such suspense
Original post by Architecture-er
Inactive link, such suspense

Fml I was readily anticipating the big 50k.

I feel let down. And slightly trolled.
I want to date genuinely kind hearted people.

That's all I ask for.
Original post by vortex_199
For a post all about intelligence, it grieves me to see that every 'I' is replaced by an 'i'.

Just because i'm not good with grammar and spelling doesn't mean I'm not intelligent, I'm borderline dyslexic, I've also always put lower-case i's where there should be capitals, it's the internet no-one other than grammer nazi's really care
Reply 27
Dating a moron brings with it greater problems than stunted conversation.
Original post by AdamCee
Fml I was readily anticipating the big 50k.

I feel let down. And slightly trolled.

ahhh yes :ahee:

I am a man of many deceptions :ninja:
Everyone has their preferences, but people can be socially awkward when first met but grow on you after a while :tongue:

How is your own definition of someone who isn't clever? But yeah, you're perfectly entitled to your own preferences.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
Just because i'm not good with grammar and spelling doesn't mean I'm not intelligent, I'm borderline dyslexic, I've also always put lower-case i's where there should be capitals, it's the internet no-one other than grammer nazi's really care

Some of the smartest people I know at university are dyslexic/dyspraxic. I am also borderline dyslexic. I'm only saying that since it's one letter and I'm sure you are intelligent, it's not really a hard thing to compensate.

just shut the **** up thanks
I could never date someone thick. So no, no probs imo.

English =/= intelligence though.

that would just be knowledge of a particular language
Original post by queensboy
I want to date genuinely kind hearted people.

That's all I ask for.

same.

But attractive too.
I've noticed that as recently that i've only recently wanted to date people who are actually intelligent (I've never had a gf - just putting that out there), now i'm not saying i hate dumb people, i'm just saying that i don't want to date someone who isn't 'smart', i'd like to have a conversation containing more than what the weather is currently like (bit harsh i know, but you get the generic idea)

Does this make me a bad person, note by intelligent i DON'T mean they HAVE to do a STEM subject just smart enough to be able to hold an intellectual conversation on a variety of topics

Sounds what you're just saying is that you essentially want someone with good communication skills, interests that you have and not mentally retarded, I'm just saying.

No. I don't think having preferences when it comes to dating makes you a bad person, you're just being selective which is quite normal in "the dating world".

However some pitfalls of being selective instead of open minded, would be that you might miss out on some great dates.

Besides how would you try to measure someone's intelligence during a date or looking through their profile? would you ask them to do some cognitive tests? ask for their IQ score? or just assume their intelligence based on what knowledge and interests they have?
I've noticed that as recently that i've only recently wanted to date people who are actually intelligent (I've never had a gf - just putting that out there), now i'm not saying i hate dumb people, i'm just saying that i don't want to date someone who isn't 'smart', i'd like to have a conversation containing more than what the weather is currently like (bit harsh i know, but you get the generic idea)

Does this make me a bad person, note by intelligent i DON'T mean they HAVE to do a STEM subject just smart enough to be able to hold an intellectual conversation on a variety of topics

Nope. Everyone has different expectations for their partner. Some like to make sure they're very pretty. Some like to date people good at conversations (I won't say smart because I know some smart girls who just can't converse), some like them healthy, some like same religion or race etc etc.

It's ok as long as you love them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by McMicheal
Sounds what you're just saying is that you essentially want someone with good communication skills, interests that you have and not mentally retarded, I'm just saying.

No. I don't think having preferences when it comes to dating makes you a bad person, you're just being selective which is quite normal in "the dating world".

However some pitfalls of being selective instead of open minded, would be that you might miss out on some great dates.

Besides how would you try to measure someone's intelligence during a date or looking through their profile? would you ask them to do some cognitive tests? ask for their IQ score? or just assume their intelligence based on what knowledge and interests they have?

Gut instinct, i've learnt to trust my gut in most circumstances, also general conversations
No, not really.
I'm the same myself, but I do not want someone who has a great ego.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending