The Student Room Group

Kicked out of uni - Wanting to go to Manchester

Hi!
I got kicked out of Edinburgh Uni after a year because of poor grades so I'm thinking of reapplying for entry to Manchester 2015/2016 as I actually want to do that course.
The requirements are AABBB-BBBBB but I only have AABCC - However I'm hoping my year at a Russell Group Uni will swing it.
Any advice on how to tailor my personal statement to show my determination and actually get in?
Reply 1
The fact you got 'kicked out' will count against you badly.
Reply 2
Original post by ccelesticaa
Hi!
I got kicked out of Edinburgh Uni after a year because of poor grades so I'm thinking of reapplying for entry to Manchester 2015/2016 as I actually want to do that course.
The requirements are AABBB-BBBBB but I only have AABCC - However I'm hoping my year at a Russell Group Uni will swing it.
Any advice on how to tailor my personal statement to show my determination and actually get in?

'Swing it', from borderline prospect to almost certain failure? Well, sure.
Reply 3
However I'm hoping my year at a Russell Group Uni will swing it.

Apart from the fact that when looking at your grades for the minimum entry requirements, no one will care about anything but these grades or directly related factors (like possible reasons for why your grades are that way), how exactly do you think flunking out of one university will make another university want you more?

I don't mean to sound too mean, but do you seriously think your failing at university is suddenly a success because you failed at a Russell Group university?
Reply 4
Listen, I did just get kicked out so I'm only looking for suggestions - maybe even alternatives to Manchester?
Posted on TheStudentRoom
(edited 8 years ago)
I agree with most people on here, but maybe try calling possible unis that you want to go to?
Reply 7
Original post by STUDYREVISE
What course/career do you want to do?

I was doing Linguistics with the aim of teaching English abroad but I chose a few outside courses in Religion and Anthropology and the joint BA in Comparative Religion and Social Anthropology at Manc is perfect!
Posted on TheStudentRoom
(edited 8 years ago)
I was doing Linguistics with the aim of teaching English abroad but I chose a few outside courses in Religion and Anthropology and the joint BA in Comparative Religion and Social Anthropology at Manc is perfect!

If you're really interested in such a specific course, then all you can do is contact the university, and see if they would consider your application. At least then you'll know where you stand...

Your right, UOM is perfect...
You need the following: (which you probably already know):
[h="3"]A-level[/h]Grades AAB-BBB. General Studies is welcomed but is not normally included as part of the standard offer. Two AS-levels are accepted in place of one A-level.
[h="3"]AS-level[/h]Two AS levels accepted instead of one A-level (AS level grades must be equivalent to the required A-level grade).
Only one A-level can be replaced, with either two AS levels or one AS level Double Award.

I don't really know what I can say, Manchester is the one!

OP appears to be Scottish and therefore doesn't have A-levels...
Reply 10
Your right, UOM is perfect...
You need the following: (which you probably already know):
A-level

Grades AAB-BBB. General Studies is welcomed but is not normally included as part of the standard offer. Two AS-levels are accepted in place of one A-level.
AS-level

Two AS levels accepted instead of one A-level (AS level grades must be equivalent to the required A-level grade).
Only one A-level can be replaced, with either two AS levels or one AS level Double Award.

I don't really know what I can say, Manchester is the one!

I'm Scottish though so it's Highers I'd be using to get in?
Posted on TheStudentRoom
(edited 8 years ago)
Here's the Info:
Scottish HighersGrades AAAAB-BBBBB: accepted only in conjunction with 3 Advanced Highers at Grades shown.

[h="3"]English language[/h]Minimum IELTS score of 7.0 or equivalent;
eg. NCUK EAP minimum Grade of A with range of 70-79
TOEFL: IBT score of 100.

[h="3"]English language test validity[/h]Some English language test results are only valid for two years. Your English language test report must be valid on the start date of the course.

For the record, Scots don't have to do additional English language tests in order to attend English universities.
Posted on TheStudentRoom
(edited 8 years ago)
Whoops, sorry about that.

No worries. IELTS only really applies to those who don't have English as their first language.
Your academic record is far from stellar, and any admissions tutor is going to want to know why thinks will be different this time around and you won't fail again.

I'd suggest getting in contact with the university, but I will note that religion at Manchester is not an overly competitive subject, which will count in your favour.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending