The Student Room Group

Will my application still Be considered?

I am going to be starting Year 13 soon however I had to drop one of my subject and pick up an AS, this is due to me not reaching my college requirements ( got kicked out basically). Majority of the universities that do my dream course (Architecture) require three A-levels and don’t accept tariff points, the ones that accept tariff points are universities that want you to do a foundation course, I don’t mind doing a foundation course however the university that offer this + acceptance on tariff points are unis that I don’t really see myself studying at, or unis I don’t really want to go to ( I don’t want to come about as picky since my situation was brought upon by myself). Since I’ll be gaining Two A-level and an AS, I was thinking maybe taking a gap year and progressing the AS as an A-level ( this is through being a private candidate) so that I can apply for University with 3 A-levels. Will certain Universities accept thats Two of my A-levels were sat at a different year to the third A-level, And will this help me get into some of the unis that I would love to go into. Could you possible give me a list of Unis that won’t accept this so I can just cross them out?
Reply 1
Original post by Zexade-18
I am going to be starting Year 13 soon however I had to drop one of my subject and pick up an AS, this is due to me not reaching my college requirements ( got kicked out basically). Majority of the universities that do my dream course (Architecture) require three A-levels and don’t accept tariff points, the ones that accept tariff points are universities that want you to do a foundation course, I don’t mind doing a foundation course however the university that offer this + acceptance on tariff points are unis that I don’t really see myself studying at, or unis I don’t really want to go to ( I don’t want to come about as picky since my situation was brought upon by myself). Since I’ll be gaining Two A-level and an AS, I was thinking maybe taking a gap year and progressing the AS as an A-level ( this is through being a private candidate) so that I can apply for University with 3 A-levels. Will certain Universities accept thats Two of my A-levels were sat at a different year to the third A-level, And will this help me get into some of the unis that I would love to go into. Could you possible give me a list of Unis that won’t accept this so I can just cross them out?

Is this a state school? They cannot stop you carrying on with the A level.

What A levels are you taking?
What are your predictions for the 2 A levels and AS level?
Which universities were you hoping to apply to for architecture?
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
What A levels are you taking?
What are your predictions for the 2 A levels and AS level?
Which universities were you hoping to apply to for architecture?

I was taking Maths chemistry and physics, however I had to drop physics, and I have picked up sociology AS level. I am predicted an B in maths and B in Chemistry, however it can change since it has not been finalised, I haven’t been predicted for sociology since I haven’t started the course yet. I don’t really have a go to uni, but I want to apply to a uni that has a great facility and well structured curriculum. I’ve been looking into Manchester, and some up the league universities.
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
Is this a state school? They cannot stop you carrying on with the A level.

Yes it is a state school they didn’t kick me out the school, they just kicked me out the subject. I still have my other 2 Alevel, it’s just that I am just stuck with an AS.
Reply 5
Yes it is a state school they didn’t kick me out the school, they just kicked me out the subject. I still have my other 2 Alevel, it’s just that I am just stuck with an AS.

Technically they can't do this ... they are funded for you doing three A levels. Why did you agree?
I was taking Maths chemistry and physics, however I had to drop physics, and I have picked up sociology AS level. I am predicted an B in maths and B in Chemistry, however it can change since it has not been finalised, I haven’t been predicted for sociology since I haven’t started the course yet. I don’t really have a go to uni, but I want to apply to a uni that has a great facility and well structured curriculum. I’ve been looking into Manchester, and some up the league universities.

Have a look at https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7361710
If you're expecting Bs then you're going to need to readjust your expectations of the sort of university you're suited for for architecture.

You should talk to some universities about your situation and ask if they'd accept an Art & Design Foundation Diploma in combination with 2 A levels and an AS - a FAD is often a good preparation for Architecture especially if you don't have creative A level subjects - and a pass at Foundation is worth 2 Bs at A level in tariff points (and a distinction the same tariff points as 2 A* at A level - so some universities will consider it as a substitute for 1 or 2 A levels).
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
Have a look at https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7361710
If you're expecting Bs then you're going to need to readjust your expectations of the sort of university you're suited for for architecture.

You should talk to some universities about your situation and ask if they'd accept an Art & Design Foundation Diploma in combination with 2 A levels and an AS - a FAD is often a good preparation for Architecture especially if you don't have creative A level subjects - and a pass at Foundation is worth 2 Bs at A level in tariff points (and a distinction the same tariff points as 2 A* at A level - so some universities will consider it as a substitute for 1 or 2 A levels).

To be honest, my plan was to take a gap year and apply for sept 2025. During my gap year I plan to sit the AS as an A-level through private candidacy and this will also give me time to put together a portfolio, and complete some sort of work experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending