The Student Room Group

Absolutely Terrified About Starting Uni :( have lost sleep and feeling anxious. help!

Ive always been a little scared about uni, but now its about to set my world into motion, i cant help feeling really scared. i guess i'm most worried about making new freinds, where to go, what to do, moving away from home, cooking by myself etc. I feel so sick and i cant eat that well. My mind is constantly running different scenarios about what its going to be like and its scaring me half to death! I really don't know how i'll be able to cope till i get there :frown: i want that feeling of excitment but i'm not sure how i'm going to get there. help would be much appreciated
Everyone feels nervous at this point - yes, EVERYONE.

Once you get there and get going, you'll realise its all okay and within a week or so you'll have forgotten what you were so worried about - promise.
Reply 2
Totally natural to feel like that. Don't try and think about all your worries at once. Enjoy the rest of your holidays - and concentrate on packing/preparing for moving. Don't think about the social stuff yet. When you're there, take it one step at a time. You can't solve all these worries at once - it will take a while to feel settled in all the aspects of your life that you've mentioned.

Also, make sure you give yourself breaks when you're there. E.g. if you're worried about the social side, and you've recently done some going out/being sociable with your flatmates, don't be worried about giving yourself a night off just to be by yourself.
Original post by plams63
Ive always been a little scared about uni, but now its about to set my world into motion, i cant help feeling really scared. i guess i'm most worried about making new freinds, where to go, what to do, moving away from home, cooking by myself etc. I feel so sick and i cant eat that well. My mind is constantly running different scenarios about what its going to be like and its scaring me half to death! I really don't know how i'll be able to cope till i get there :frown: i want that feeling of excitment but i'm not sure how i'm going to get there. help would be much appreciated

Hi plam63,

I'm Chloe a Student Ambassador and second year at Kingston. First of all I want to say this is completely normal and I know how you feel!

Start uni is daunting for everyone, although some people seem to take to it like a duck to water in most situations this isn't the case! Everyone has worries and concerns and the most common one I hear as an ambassador is about making friends! Let me tell you something, freshers stick together! Last year everyone banded together!

Here at Kingston we got a lot of support in regards to making friends, a lot of social events, BBQs etc. Make sure you check out any events going on around your uni.

Also popping home after a few weeks isn't admitting defeat, so if this is possible and will make you feel better then do it! Uni is an exciting and slightly terrifying time for everyone but I can personally say that by the end of my first year I couldn't imagine being anywhere else!

I hope this helps!

Chloe :smile:
Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending