The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Searching for my fresher sister...

Just wanted to know that if your name is Jennifer and you're doing Archaeology at Collingwood, I'm your fresher sister! I'm Jess, Combined Hons in Social Sciences, if you're on TSR PM me or post here. Anyone else searching for their brothers or sisters are welcome to post too... :wink:

See you guys in two weeks! Eeeeee!! xx
Reply 1
sorry to sound really stupid...but what's a fresher sister/brother? x
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
You get parents, and each set of parents gets 2 kids (at some colleges) and so each "Child" has a "Sister" or "Brother" in their own year, or occasionally, also a couple of siblings in the year above, if their parents have had kids 2 or 3 years in a row.
Reply 3
Don't mean to be rude, but all these attempts to find siblings/landing mates etc etc really do make me laugh. If we say there are 3500 freshers going to Durham and maybe 50 on here, that's 0.15% of the fresher population. The odds don't look too good! Still, I guess it's worth a try :smile:
Reply 4
Alphie
If we say there are 3500 freshers going to Durham and maybe 50 on here, that's 0.15% of the fresher population.

I hope you're not a mathematician! I make it 1.5%, but nevertheless it does seem highly unlikely that we would find our siblings on here
Toby10107
I hope you're not a mathematician! I make it 1.5%, but nevertheless it does seem highly unlikely that we would find our siblings on here

I actually make it 1.43% :wink:

Yes I was sad enough to calculate it.
Mattmoy_2000
You get parents, and each set of parents gets 2 kids (at some colleges) and so each "Child" has a "Sister" or "Brother" in their own year, or occasionally, also a couple of siblings in the year above, if their parents have had kids 2 or 3 years in a row.

Not At Aidans, we're all modern single parent/only child families.

Apart from the borther in the year above/below bit.
Reply 7
Whoops, misread it from the calculator :redface:
And no, i'm not a mathematician...
Alphie
Whoops, misread it from the calculator :redface:
And no, i'm not a mathematician...[/QUOTE]
Oh well, nobody's perfect:wink:
Reply 9
Alphie
Don't mean to be rude, but all these attempts to find siblings/landing mates etc etc really do make me laugh. If we say there are 3500 freshers going to Durham and maybe 50 on here, that's 0.15% of the fresher population. The odds don't look too good! Still, I guess it's worth a try :smile:

I wasn't really expecting to find her, just another way to kill the time... but I remain eternally optimistic :biggrin: despite the statistics! It is worth a try Alphie, but I appreciate your healthy scepticism xx
Reply 10
croissantfever
Not At Aidans, we're all modern single parent/only child families.

I'm going to Aidan's, and I don't know who my mother or father is. Or have even heard of the thing for that matter.

Actually, yeh, I guess in that sense it is like a modern family...
Well all the Aidans parents are hearing today or tomorrow so you should know soon :biggrin:

Latest