The Student Room Group

How to afford going to uni as an international student?

The annoying thing is that im a UK citizien but have lived in New Zealand for most of my life. My parents wont contribute a penny to anything after i leave home (they cant afford it). Im thinking of applying when i finish school in 3 yrs and would only apply to the top unis. What can i start doing now to be able to afford uni as an international student.
Original post by dooglebirden
The annoying thing is that im a UK citizien but have lived in New Zealand for most of my life. My parents wont contribute a penny to anything after i leave home (they cant afford it). Im thinking of applying when i finish school in 3 yrs and would only apply to the top unis. What can i start doing now to be able to afford uni as an international student.

You're looking at around 35000 pounds a year. I really don't think you'll be able to finance that on your own unless you take out student loans. I'm not sure if you qualify for uk financial support but if you don't then it's going to burn quite a huge hole in your pocket.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dooglebirden

Unfortunately, there's very little funding available for international undergrads at Oxford. :frown: I don't think you'd be eligible for UK bursaries, but definitely double check this. Have a look on http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/fees-and-funding/oxford-support and see if anything might apply to you, and maybe also look around for any funding you might be able to get elsewhere (eg some governments and organizations offer scholarships for overseas studies).

If you're looking at a student loan, I imagine you'd need your parents to co-sign as guarantors since you wouldn't have any income or assets yet. Otherwise, you might want to consider doing your undergrad in New Zealand, and then compete for postgrad funding from Oxford (more of which is available to international students).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending