The Student Room Group

I don't like my grad scheme! HELP

I know how this is going to come across and what people are likely to say but I need some advice.

I just started my grad scheme a month ago. When I originally applied I didn't fully understand what the job would entail but I applied as a back up option. If I'm being completely honest with myself I knew beforehand that it wasn't the right service line and that it wouldn't suit me but I got rejected from my other grad offers at varying stages (assessment centre, phone interview and final interview).

I felt that I had to take the job - the pay is good and it's a really good company but it's just that I'm in a niche service line and in a small regional office. There's a lack of career progression and I know that I definitely wouldn't continue in the role after 3 years.

The problem is that there are other departments within the firm that I know I'd be happy in (long term) but I also know that I definitely won't be able to change the service line within the first couple of years so I'd have to stick the job out for at least two years. This wouldn't be so bad aside from the fact that I'd need to perform well in this role to be offered a transfer. I just can't see myself being motivated enough to do a good job and get high ratings.

I know people are going to say stick it out and I feel like an absolute idiot and wish I could go back and change the last year. I've made my own bed and it's my responsibility for what I do. Basically I can't quit without another job because I've signed a 1 year rental agreement on a house and I couldn't afford to pay the rent if I quit.

My questions;
- How bad will it look on my CV if I quit in the first year of a grad program?
- Can I apply for other grad schemes whilst working here? If I get to interview how would I explain my situation? Should I leave out what I'm doing now? They'd surely ask
- I've considered doing a year, applying for masters program and then re-applying for grad jobs whilst doing the masters program. Would doing an MSc be a chance to rebrand (I just graduated this summer). How do people pay for MSc's?

Help and advice would be great

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending