The Student Room Group

Trying to tailor to 2 subjects!

I haven't totally decided if I want to do Business or Social Science at university, how difficult would it be to write a personal statement that covers both? Any advice would be helpful!
Original post by allanah97
I haven't totally decided if I want to do Business or Social Science at university, how difficult would it be to write a personal statement that covers both? Any advice would be helpful!

The best advice you'll get is don't apply until you have decided what you really want. Putting both in one statement makes you look either uncommitted or ignorant of what the course is about, and neither of those will help you get an offer. Decide first, then make a proper job of the application.
Reply 2
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
The best advice you'll get is don't apply until you have decided what you really want. Putting both in one statement makes you look either uncommitted or ignorant of what the course is about, and neither of those will help you get an offer. Decide first, then make a proper job of the application.

I thought I would be able to get away with it as I was going to talk about business through my extra curriculers and then social science through my high school subject choice and interest in politics ect.

I know that social science would interest be more but I am hesitant about the jobs available after it!
I thought I would be able to get away with it as I was going to talk about business through my extra curriculers and then social science through my high school subject choice and interest in politics ect.

I know that social science would interest be more but I am hesitant about the jobs available after it!

Don't talk about your school subjects. Everyone who studies them studies the same content - it doesn't tell the university anything about you personally. In addition, you have given these subjects up, so why are you talking about them when the space is better used in talking about the course you want to do?
Reply 4
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Don't talk about your school subjects. Everyone who studies them studies the same content - it doesn't tell the university anything about you personally. In addition, you have given these subjects up, so why are you talking about them when the space is better used in talking about the course you want to do?

Well my school subjects all fit within the social science degree, and as does business as there is a business module in the social science degree so I'm sure they would consider this?
Reply 5
In my opinion Social Science is a very broad programme and for Business you might be learning about management, business and economics, accounting, etc. Still broad but there is no geography, psychology, etc.
Well my school subjects all fit within the social science degree, and as does business as there is a business module in the social science degree so I'm sure they would consider this?

The subjects you study at school are listed in the main body of your form and can be seen by admissions tutors there. That's all they need to know about them. What they want to know is the answer to two questions - Why this course? and Why me? Tell them what interests you about studying the course you are applying for, not what you are currently doing at school, which they know already because it doesn't differ from any other student applying who is doing those courses.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending