The Student Room Group

How long did your parents stay with you on move in day?

I was stuck with the last move in slot at 4-5pm and I think most of my flatmates would've already arrived. How long did your parents stay, what did they do? Tbh, I'd probably prefer it if they left earlier so I'd be able to meet flatmates without the added awkwardness.

Also, did you collect your wristband first? The SU closes wristband collection at 5. There's an event the 1st night so I need it to get in.
Original post by cathrg26
I was stuck with the last move in slot at 4-5pm and I think most of my flatmates would've already arrived. How long did your parents stay, what did they do? Tbh, I'd probably prefer it if they left earlier so I'd be able to meet flatmates without the added awkwardness.

Also, did you collect your wristband first? The SU closes wristband collection at 5. There's an event the 1st night so I need it to get in.

Actually if you're unfortunate then only one or two flatmates will bump into you when you bringing your stuff into your room. It's no big deal anyways. Your parents are your parents, everyone has parents. So they understand even if it may be a bit awkward.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My parents stayed for a few hours to help me unpack- but so did everyone else's in the flat! Running into flatmates while we were all unpacking was quite a good icebreaker.

My parents were actually the first to leave and I remember sitting in my room on my own for a while, not knowing whether to go and say hi to my flatmates or whether I'd be interrupting unpacking/emotional goodbyes, and thinking "now what?" :colondollar:
Reply 3
I just dropped off my daughter at college after a 3-day drive (and no-- we don't own a slow car in Ireland). There was a squad of volunteers to empty the van at the front door of the dormitory, and after maybe 3 minutes of that-- she was mostly packed into trunks-- I left. Didn't even see the room. It may have been a little quick, but I figured that she would have more opportunity to figure out how to get along with her roommate, etc. And anyway, she later sent a video of the unpacked room to her mom.
Reply 4
I just arrived at my accommodation this afternoon and my parents are staying until Saturday afternoon, we're coming from Northern Ireland to the southern coast of England though, and they're staying at a hotel. I think it's for my mum's sake more so than mine, really. A little frustrating, but they have helped me out considerably.
My mother stayed for about 30 mins to help me unpack and make my bed.
Reply 6
My parents stayed for maybe 10 minutes haha. They looked round, dumped my stuff and hugged me goodbye then left me to get on with unpacking. I am super independent so i didn't mind. :smile:
Original post by cathrg26

Mine stayed and helped to unpack and then they went after about 20 minutes.

Everyone's parents are going to be there so it's no big deal. Speaking from experience no one really cares about parents being there when you move in...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending