The Student Room Group

3 exams in one day

So! I've looked at my exam timetables and I have all 3 of my final papers on June 16th I spoke to a teacher about it and was told that I'd have to isolate from the rest of the cohort either at an examiners house or stay at college...

I can't find any recent updates since people haven't had exams in so long but is it true that this can happen? And any advice on how to cope and handle it?

As soon as I heard I felt like having a breakdown because I'm worried I'll spend the whole night worrying and having to isolate I'll feel very alone, on top of no access to the internet or phones? My last day before my final exam could very possibly be spent in a place of unfamiliarity and restlessness without being able to contact parents friends etc etc

help to destress? I feel as if I might not even be able to rest and destress from the exams I'll sit on the 16th before having to be isolated to take 3rd on the 17th or revise or even think about anything else :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lvnhyun
So! I've looked at my exam timetables and I have all 3 of my final papers on June 16th I spoke to a teacher about it and was told that I'd have to isolate from the rest of the cohort either at an examiners house or stay at college...

I can't find any recent updates since people haven't had exams in so long but is it true that this can happen? And any advice on how to cope and handle it?

As soon as I heard I felt like having a breakdown because I'm worried I'll spend the whole night worrying and having to isolate I'll feel very alone, on top of no access to the internet or phones? My last day before my final exam could very possibly be spent in a place of unfamiliarity and restlessness without being able to contact parents friends etc etc

help to destress? I feel as if I might not even be able to rest and destress from the exams I'll sit on the 16th before having to be isolated to take 3rd on the 17th or revise or even think about anything else :frown:

since i do langauge, they moved my biology exam in afternoon
which means they will take me and some other students to a classroom after our first exam and we just have to do revision
We are told to bring packaged lunch that day and we need to have our phones switched off all day long :frown:
Reply 2
Original post by lvnhyun

I can't find any recent updates since people haven't had exams in so long but is it true that this can happen?

Yes, it can happen. There were certainly a few people (maybe 3 or 4) affected at my school in the year I sat my A-levels.

And any advice on how to cope and handle it?

Do a bit of revision, then relax and get a good night's sleep. I'm sure you can manage being away from your phone and internet for a few hours. Maybe try and practice that in advance too!
Reply 3
Original post by zarahh09
since i do langauge, they moved my biology exam in afternoon
which means they will take me and some other students to a classroom after our first exam and we just have to do revision
We are told to bring packaged lunch that day and we need to have our phones switched off all day long :frown:

Ahh see i have 1 exam in the morning and 2 in the afternoon so therefore I can't get my exam moved :frown: Therefore I have to stay overnight in college or at someone else's home as I'm not allowed to return home
Reply 4
Original post by martin7
Do a bit of revision, then relax and get a good night's sleep. I'm sure you can manage being away from your phone and internet for a few hours. Maybe try and practice that in advance too!

I can manage being away from my phone just the experience of having to stay at someone else's house overnight or being isolated from literally everyone is a bit scary to me, I feel like I might end up spending the whole night overthinking instead of being able to relax :frown:
Tagging @EOData for some advice
Original post by lvnhyun
I can manage being away from my phone just the experience of having to stay at someone else's house overnight or being isolated from literally everyone is a bit scary to me, I feel like I might end up spending the whole night overthinking instead of being able to relax :frown:

How long in total are the papers? It;s not 'how many' but how much time.
Original post by lvnhyun
Ahh see i have 1 exam in the morning and 2 in the afternoon so therefore I can't get my exam moved :frown: Therefore I have to stay overnight in college or at someone else's home as I'm not allowed to return home

wait they can do that?? omg
Reply 8
The requirement for candidates to stay at a staff member's house if an exam is moved to the following day was removed in 2004 and yet it never dies on TSR.

If you have more than 6 hours of exams in a single day then you can opt to move one to the following day. If you do this then you and a responsible adult (generally a parent) have to sign to say you will not communicate with anyone outside your immediate family or go on line. The exam centre will keep your phone overnight. I've had this situation with many students over the years and I'd say this is the best bet if you have 7 hours or more but that most students find it quite unsettling and are better off doing them all in one day if it is 'only' just over 6 hours - but it is your choice. If you do choose to do all 3 in a day than the centre can claim special consideration for the final exam which will give you about 2% extra raw marks.

Talk to your exams officer to agree how best to sort this. How it will work best depends on exactly how long the individual exams are and what the total is but it may make sense to move one to the morning and then have a a late start in the afternoon - so say starting at 09:00, 11:20 and 14:00, finishing around 16:00 if you have 3, 2 hour exams.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Muttley79
How long in total are the papers? It;s not 'how many' but how much time.

7.5 hours!
Accounting - 3 hours
Psychology - 2 hours 15 mins
Business - 2 hours 15 mins
Reply 10
Original post by zarahh09
wait they can do that?? omg

apparently so O.O
Reply 11
Original post by lvnhyun
7.5 hours!
Accounting - 3 hours
Psychology - 2 hours 15 mins
Business - 2 hours 15 mins

Definitely move one then. Here's the form you will need to complete https://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/online-forms/guidance-notes-for-overnight-supervision-of-candidates-with-a-timetable-variation/
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by lvnhyun
apparently so O.O

Honestly, they removed this requirement around the time they introduced CRB checks (which became DBS checks). It's not been a thing for years - probably since before you were born.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by EOData
The requirement for candidates to stay at a staff member's house if an exam is moved to the following day was removed in 2004 and yet it never dies on TSR.

If you have more than 6 hours of exams in a single day then you can opt to move one to the following day. If you do this then you and a responsible adult (generally a parent) have to sign to say you will not communicate with anyone outside your immediate family or go on line. The exam centre will keep your phone overnight. I've had this situation with many students over the years and I'd say this is the best bet if you have 7 hours or more but that most students find it quite unsettling and are better off doing them all in one day if it is 'only' just over 6 hours - but it is your choice. If you do choose to do all 3 in a day than the centre can claim special consideration for the final exam which will give you about 2% extra raw marks.

Talk to your exams officer to agree how best to sort this. How it will work best depends on exactly how long the individual exams are and what the total is but it may make sense to move one to the morning and then have a a late start in the afternoon - so say starting at 09:00, 11:20 and 14:00, finishing around 16:00 if you have 3, 2 hour exams.

Parents don't always want/can't ensure this responsibility though ... keeping someone away from the internet and their phone is tricky if the parent works. We do still have some students staying with a teacher because of the work their parents do.
Reply 14
Original post by Muttley79
Parents don't always want/can't ensure this responsibility though ... keeping someone away from the internet and their phone is tricky if the parent works. We do still have some students staying with a teacher because of the work their parents do.

I'm very surprised because of the safeguarding issues it raises - a lot of schools won't allow a teacher and student alone in a room with the door shut, so why are they going to allow them to share a house for the night? I've never encountered a family where a parent, grandparent or other adult can't provide the supervision and obviously the student's phone stays in school to reduce the temptation.
Reply 15
Original post by EOData

Thank you so much for providing so much insight,, since my exams total to 7 hours 30 minutes I think I'll be advised to take my exams the following day? Even if I have to sign and hand my phone in does this mean I have to stay in separate accommodation or will I be allowed to return home?

I'll be talking to my exams officer tomorrow hopefully and I'll see what advice they offer! Since I have 2, 2 hours 15 exams and a 3-hour exam I may be moved to the following morning ?
Reply 16
Reply 17
Original post by EOData
I'm very surprised because of the safeguarding issues it raises - a lot of schools won't allow a teacher and student alone in a room with the door shut, so why are they going to allow them to share a house for the night? I've never encountered a family where a parent, grandparent or other adult can't provide the supervision and obviously the student's phone stays in school to reduce the temptation.

I know that our college provides student accommodation to international students and that there may be halls available? I'll speak to my exams officer but there may be a likely possibility that its required I'll stay there overnight?
Original post by EOData

Well sometimes there's no other option [it woulld be in a family not anyone single] ... no local family, single parent. Phone in school guarantees nothing though does it...?
Reply 19
Original post by lvnhyun
Thank you so much for providing so much insight,, since my exams total to 7 hours 30 minutes I think I'll be advised to take my exams the following day? Even if I have to sign and hand my phone in does this mean I have to stay in separate accommodation or will I be allowed to return home?

I'll be talking to my exams officer tomorrow hopefully and I'll see what advice they offer! Since I have 2, 2 hours 15 exams and a 3-hour exam I may be moved to the following morning ?

If it was a boarding school with easy access to separate accommodation then it would make sense to stay there, but in most cases you can just go home. Your responsible adult would have to collect you from the exam centre and hand you back the next day (sometimes that's meant we've had to keep the candidate at school somewhere relaxing until the parent can turn up after work) but if they can manage that you should be fine going home.

Quick Reply

Latest