The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi there I just had a question about the A101 course.

If I were to apply for the A101 with a 1st in Biomed , would I be accepted if I re-sat my Chemistry A level. I currently have a B but meet the other requirements and so if I was to apply with an A or more in Chemistry, would this be acceptable?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 181
Thank you very much for your prompt reply and I am delighted to know that I can still submit my application for the course this year. It would be great if you could answer a few queries that I still have. In regards to being considered as a competitive applicant, would it be sufficient just to take one or two A levels as I am currently working and taking 4AS and 3A2 like a normal applicant would be virtually impossible for me and will the A levels that I am planning to take, Maths and Further Maths, be considered as good subjects for Land Economy . The problem with the distance leaning and OU course is that the costs would be too great for me to be able to afford.
Original post by phlone
Thank you very much for your prompt reply and I am delighted to know that I can still submit my application for the course this year. It would be great if you could answer a few queries that I still have. In regards to being considered as a competitive applicant, would it be sufficient just to take one or two A levels as I am currently working and taking 4AS and 3A2 like a normal applicant would be virtually impossible for me and will the A levels that I am planning to take, Maths and Further Maths, be considered as good subjects for Land Economy . The problem with the distance leaning and OU course is that the costs would be too great for me to be able to afford.

Yes, I do realize distance learning courses are costly, though some providers are more affordable than others, so it is perhaps worth looking around a bit before you dismiss the possibility entirely. In terms of how many A-levels you should take, that will to some extent depend on your educational background, and previous qualifications - can you provide me with a little more detail?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by neverstop
Hi there I just had a question about the A101 course.

If I were to apply for the A101 with a 1st in Biomed , would I be accepted if I re-sat my Chemistry A level. I currently have a B but meet the other requirements and so if I was to apply with an A or more in Chemistry, would this be acceptable?

Yes, it would be fine to apply with an A in Chemistry, following a re-sit.
Original post by Lucy Cavendish Admissions
Yes, it would be fine to apply with an A in Chemistry, following a re-sit.

Many thanks for the clarification. I was also wondering whether, like for the A100 course , Cambridge would look at UMS scores for the A-level results we present. In addition, would re-sitting be seen as a negative, even if I were to achieve an A/ A*.
Reply 185
My educational background is that I finished my high school back in Burma with very high grades(above 95% overall) but that qualifications were taken seven years ago and I don't think that qualification is recognised in this country anyway. Thanks for pointing me out about the potential cost of distance learning providers and I will definitely have a look them.
Original post by neverstop
Many thanks for the clarification. I was also wondering whether, like for the A100 course , Cambridge would look at UMS scores for the A-level results we present. In addition, would re-sitting be seen as a negative, even if I were to achieve an A/ A*.

We don't currently look at UMS scores for A101, but I think it is likely that - from next year - we'll ask for UMS scores from candidates who sat their A-levels prior to the introduction of the A* (i.e. prior to 2010).

Re-sitting Chemistry is not in itself a negative, and wouldn't make any difference if you applied once you'd achieved an A or A*. If you applied before re-sitting, you'd need to make it clear on your application that you were going to do so, in order to meet the pre-medical requirements. I might be able to advise further if you could let me know what your other existing A-level grades are?
Hi.

I wonder if you will be able to help me with this one. Currently not sure about my funding or any support I will get in terms of A101 course. .I don't know if the NHS bursary applies to me.
I studied and live in Scotland. My first degree was a professional degree thus am not sure what help I will get. If any.

The fees are total 36 k. Do you need to pay annually? (9k) or at the end of year 4?

Also someone mentioned 4-5k college fees per year but not entirely sure what that entails.

Thanks !!
Original post by Ama2007
Hi.

I wonder if you will be able to help me with this one. Currently not sure about my funding or any support I will get in terms of A101 course. .I don't know if the NHS bursary applies to me.
I studied and live in Scotland. My first degree was a professional degree thus am not sure what help I will get. If any.

The fees are total 36 k. Do you need to pay annually? (9k) or at the end of year 4?

Also someone mentioned 4-5k college fees per year but not entirely sure what that entails.

Thanks !!

I recommend you start by calling the Student Awards Agency for Scotland. I can't see why the NHS Bursary would not apply to you, but they will be able to confirm.

University Tuition Fees are payable annually. The College does receive a fee of £4500 for each Graduate Medic, but you are not personally liable for this, so don't need to worry about it.
I recommend you start by calling the Student Awards Agency for Scotland. I can't see why the NHS Bursary would not apply to you, but they will be able to confirm.

University Tuition Fees are payable annually. The College does receive a fee of £4500 for each Graduate Medic, but you are not personally liable for this, so don't need to worry about it.

So the 4.5k I don't need to pay?
That is such a relief!

I think its because am a Scottish applicant but I shall double check what the situation is.

Thanks again
Original post by phlone
My educational background is that I finished my high school back in Burma with very high grades(above 95% overall) but that qualifications were taken seven years ago and I don't think that qualification is recognised in this country anyway. Thanks for pointing me out about the potential cost of distance learning providers and I will definitely have a look them.

Your existing high school qualifications would indeed not be recognized as appropriate preparation for university in this country. In terms of the number of A-levels you should take, I agree that 4 AS-levels and 3 A-levels is quite a tall order. However, I don't think that one A-level alone would constitute sufficient evidence of academic potential to make you a competitive applicant. I really would recommend that you take your time, and plan on doing at least two A-levels, even if your work commitments mean that you can't do them at one sitting. In terms of A-level subjects, there aren't any hard and fast rules where Land Economy is concerned, but most colleges welcome a mix of science and arts or social science A-levels. From that perspective, you might be better off doing Maths and a subject with an element of essay-writing, e.g. Economics or Geography, than Maths and Further Maths, though Further Maths would certainly be an asset, if you regarded this as a long-term project, and bolted it on, subsequent to the others.
Hi,

Was just wondering when do you let people know if they are successful or unsuccessful at the interview? and is it by email?

Thanks for your help!
Original post by Ama2007
Hi,

Was just wondering when do you let people know if they are successful or unsuccessful at the interview? and is it by email?

Thanks for your help!

Decisions will be communicated during the week commencing December 1. We usually send a letter to unsuccessful applicants who have reached this stage.
Reply 193
Thanks for your reply in details and I have decided to defer my application to the next year so that I can prepare myself. One thing that I have been in dilemma about is that whether to do A levels or Access to HE next year. The problem with A level is the length of the time that I need to take in order to sit the exams whereas in Access to HE, it is about sufficiency. Do you think that doing an Access to HE will give me the same chance as doing two or three A levels over two to three years? I was also wondering doing an A level( Maths) alongside Access course can give me an edge over doing an Access course alone.
Original post by phlone
Thanks for your reply in details and I have decided to defer my application to the next year so that I can prepare myself. One thing that I have been in dilemma about is that whether to do A levels or Access to HE next year. The problem with A level is the length of the time that I need to take in order to sit the exams whereas in Access to HE, it is about sufficiency. Do you think that doing an Access to HE will give me the same chance as doing two or three A levels over two to three years? I was also wondering doing an A level( Maths) alongside Access course can give me an edge over doing an Access course alone.

An Access to HE Diploma alone is perfectly acceptable for Land Economy, if you can find one that contains an appropriate mix of modules. Very few Access to HE Diplomas, however, include Economics or Maths at Level 3, so sitting an A-level in Maths alongside the Diploma certainly wouldn't do your application any harm. What I'd recommend you do is review the Access Diplomas available in your area and then seek advice on their contents directly from a College Admissions Office before making a decision.
Do all colleges hold their interviews in first three weeks in December? And do you know if we will know whether we are accepted or not - a final decision - before Christmas? Thanks so much
Original post by SCHMERRYFERRY
Do all colleges hold their interviews in first three weeks in December? And do you know if we will know whether we are accepted or not - a final decision - before Christmas? Thanks so much

All October Round interviews except post-Pool interviews are held in the first three weeks of December, yes. We don't communicate interview outcomes until early January, I'm afraid.
Will Lucy Cavendish College be notifying applicants by mail or email for interviews? When can we expect to be updated on the progress of our applications?

Many Thanks

Kirsty
Original post by Kirsty0712
Will Lucy Cavendish College be notifying applicants by mail or email for interviews? When can we expect to be updated on the progress of our applications?

Many Thanks

Kirsty

We usually notify applicants selected for interview by e-mail. You can expect an update either at the end of this week, or the beginning of next week, depending on your subject.
(edited 9 years ago)
We usually notify applicants by e-mail. You can expect an update either at the end of this week, or the beginning of next week, depending on your subject.

Hi, my subject is Law?!

Latest

Trending

Trending